Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT1D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT1D
Yaesu FT1D Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $565
Description: The introduction of our FT1DR 12.5 kHz C4FM/FDMA 144/430MHz Dual Band
Digital Handheld Transceiver ushers in The Dawn of a New Digital
Communications Era in Amateur Radio. Yaesu has introduced the DR-1
Digital Repeater and FTM-400DR Mobile Transceiver products to work with
the FT1DR to provide efficient and large data handling capablities not
currently available on the Amateur Radio bands.
More info: http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=25F65DA12CA1FCB444A927CD14417BFD&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT1D.

VE6BGM Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2017 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Decent handheld  Time owned: more than 12 months
Re battery draining. I have noticed a very slow draining of the battery. But it is unlike the Wouxun that drain within a month. I last charged my FT1D around mid July and today it still registers 7.7 volts. I have not used it much since mid July, on a couple of times for about 5 minutes. I expect all rechargeable batteries to drain when not used so expect them to slowly drain. Thus I do charge it every couple of months. I found the battery that came with the radio drained fast when on. But an after market Yaesu battery does last longer. I find the volume of the received audio the best of any small hand held. Pleasantly pleased with the loud volume. Haven't used the APRS function that much but really don't have any problems with GPS sats access. I do like the sound of Fusion digital, much better than DMR and D-Star. Only A band has the digital which is not a problem with few digital repeaters but some might dislike this as cannot monitor 2 Fusion digital repeaters in A and B band. Because most of the radios I use are Yaesu, I have no problems manually programming or moving around menus. I do use RT programming as this does make it easier to copy, paste and load the 800 memories. Plus it uses most if not all of the other Yaesu accessories that I already had. I won't go so far as to say it is a perfect hand held, thus the 4/5.

N8PMG Rating: 2/5 Sep 14, 2017 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Could be much better  Time owned: more than 12 months
All of the good features are ruined by one design flaw. The battery drains when the radio is not turned on. Unless you remove the battery or charge it every few days, you are greeted with no response when you push the power button. There is no excuse for this in a modern radio in this price range.

AH6DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2017 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Best HT ever!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
REVIEW FOR FT1XDR (Black) by KH6TA

Excellent in all respects, much improved GPS over FT1DR, otherwise similar. Very easy to program & operate, great Tx/Rx audio for an HT. I favored this one over the FT2DR because of the difficult touch screen on the FT2DR that was a pain. Great performer on C4FM/Wires-X ops! As with ANY HT, always have more than one battery!

WQ0A Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 14:11 Send this review to a friend
A great HT for many uses.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this to go with our growing Yaesu Fusion interest. It has been an impressive little radio to use. The dual receive capability with APRS and digital voice in one little package is amazing. It's comfortable in the hand, the audio is very good and battery life decent, considering all the capability. Menus are well described and become natural after some use. With the discount price now available, it is a great buy. Build quality is very good.
Gripes: The volume! I knew this when I chose to buy it, but it's hard to get used to. Why not make volume the main use and channel selection secondary? A firmware fix would make the radio the best.
The screen is tiny and holds lots of information. My bifocals get a workout but it can be reasonably read. Considering the size, it is acceptable.
If you can work with my two gripes, you will find this radio a pleasure to use. And C4FM is a great mode.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2017 07:19 Send this review to a friend
A Fine, Feature-Packed HT So Far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the FT1XD dual band HT. I recently purchased the FT1XD, as I was looking for a HT with digital capability that was relatively inexpensive. I have not yet had an opportunity to fully test the digital modes of this radio yet, but I can say it works very well on standard analog FM modes. Audio quality is very good and comparable to that of earlier Yaesu HT's such as the FT-60R and VX-150 (both of which I also have and have reviewed here on eHam). The lithium-ion battery has a capacity of 2200 mAh which allows for long QSO's and monitoring time. This rig is compatible with System Fusion repeaters, of which we only have one in our immediate area so far. I'll try to update later after getting more experience with using digital voice on this rig.

Be forewarned that the feature menus on this radio have significant differences from those used on older Yaesu HT's, such as the FT-60R and the VX-150. There are enough similarities, however, that most Yaesu users should be able to catch on fairly quickly. Just don't expect to a seamless transition if you're familiar with those older rigs!

As mentioned earlier, the GPS is very good and is very sensitive. Mine was able to quickly pick up 8 or more satellites even while inside a steel-framed hotel. It is prone to some error in altitude readings (which I think is typical of GPS) and I have noticed plus/minus 50 ft error in elevation readings, but nevertheless it does the job quite well, even when compared to a Garmin eTrex 10. The GPS' atomic clock also updates the clock on the rig, which is a fine feature. I keep the clock on mine set to UTC.

The instruction manual is well written and essential to read while getting to know the menus and operation of this transceiver.

So far, I would highly recommend this rig. It seems to be a quality design and built to high quality standards (although it was built in China). I give it a 4.5 rating, but since we can't give decimal ratings here on eHam, I'll be a "nice guy" and round it up to a 5!

W4KYR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 01:41 Send this review to a friend
The worst  Time owned: more than 12 months

This has the worst feature I have ever seen in any radio that I bought to date. And I bought a number of radios over the years. I bought this used at a local event without the manual. This is the black FT1D version not the silver model.

So here is what happened. The owner demonstrated it and it worked great and I even tested it too. So I buy the radio and when I go to use the radio at a rest stop it is stuck in lock! I guess the owner must have locked it. So I go back looking for the seller and he is nowhere around.

So I managed to fix it. But other than that, it is a great radio all around that I can easily recommend to others. Despite that bad flaw.

AD5KO Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2016 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Really Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the Yaesu FT-1XDR

The GPS on this radio is really good and is capable of receiving the satellites every quickly indoors during cloud cover and rain. It really is fast and the last time I checked I think it was receiving about 8 sats with a good signal strength in those conditions. In good weather outside it is pretty much maxed out. So the GPS is awesome.

The APRS function is very easy to see and use and works well. I like the APRS display at a glance.. itís basic but it contains everything you need, and it is scrollable for more details. I need glasses to read but I can see the display on this radio easily at arms length. So the display is also very good, nice and clear, informative but not cluttered.

Audio quality is remarkably good on both RX and TX, giving excellent tones for a portable radio. I am surprised at just how good it is.

In a test of an actual full days use while driving, running the GPS/APRS function at 5 watts the battery lasted from 6am until around 6pm. I did some listening but not much, mostly just using the APRS function in smart beacon mode, no voice contacts. I am happy with the battery life and the APRS performance.

I have been using this radio on the satellites with success and at times with nothing more than the stock antenna.

It seems there is nothing I do not like about this radio.

For perspective on this review I also did a review of the FT2DR, I gave it 2 stars.

This radio gets 5 stars and I recommend it to anyone who wants a dual band digital, analog APRS portable for less that $300 shipped. I got it from HRO.. free shipping delivered next day. Great service and a great price, sounds like a commercial but thatís what I got for my money. I plan to purchase from HRO in the future because of this.

UPDATE: I just ordered a new TNC from them.

K9OBX Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2016 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for about a year and a half, it has held up to some serious abuse. It's bounced around the car back and forth to work, and ran APRS the entire time. I've carried it everywhere I've went for the last year, 0 problems. I changed the stock antenna when I first got it, and switched the battery to the 1800 mah one. To tell the truth, it could use the 2200 mah one at this point. Maybe that will be my next purchase.

Would definitely buy again

N0AN Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2016 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for Your Own Node  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Model FT1-XDR (the new one with the improved GPS). I have a Yaesu Fusion Node (N0AN-ND) that uses the FTM-100D for the node radio connected to an X200 Collinear at 65'.

This radio makes an ideal (and not too expensive) way to access your own node. It is solidly built and the ability to set at very low power levels (0.1 W), makes it perfect for a node radio.

Its performance as a C4FM radio is outstanding, and while the speaker is small, it has good clarity. Definitely not suitable in a noisy mobile environment (typical of handhelds in general, without an external speaker)

Overall, very pleased and while the display is smallish, it is MUCH clearer than the poor contrast of the FT2DR larger hand held.

KT4NR Rating: 3/5 Apr 11, 2016 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So this is an initial impressions review. I've only had the radio a couple days so I will update this later.

I have had a VX7r as my primary HT for seemingly 10 yrs. As part of a major shack overhaul (due to a move and downsizing) I wound up at HRO to trade in a radio. With the funds of that trade-in (and very little outlay) I walked out with a mobile rig and a used FT1DR. I had not really been fond of the idea of the FT1DR based on user reviews and lack of Fusion near me, but for the price (and because my VX7r was on its last legs) I figured what the heck. My use will be hiking and APRS plus talking to the wife while roaming about. Might be a backup at public service events as well.

I will admit, I wanted the Kenwood D72 however the weight and size plus price kept me holding back. I hope not to regret it.

So a few items of note.

1) No issues with GPS lock. Maybe it's where I live, maybe it's updated firmware but the GPS locked within a couple minutes indoors. For reference: I live in a townhouse surrounded by tall buildings so I am not exactly a perfect line of site to the sky.

2) As an outdoors rig it seems pretty good. Has a light weight and solid feel. The Volume can't be knocked senseless by accident and the frequency lock will help. I am not sure on battery life yet as i have yet to kill it off. Analog audio sounds good per the wife (also licensed).

3) Having external power cords that you can wire up is nice, particularly because I can get the cord and put Power Poles on it for a bigger 3ah battery in the backpack.

4) Reference cards rock!

5) Mic sensitivity, That should be helpful.

I rated it as good because:

1) Why can't there be standard nomenclature for APRS abilities. Kenwood uses the term Phrases for prescripted messages. Yaesu has no term and makes it hard to find how to do that.

2) 2 huge manuals????

3) Using the F button with anything does not always work. Takes a few tries.

4) Two hands on the Volume? Yes this is a pro and a con...for exactly the same reasons.

5) My primary use of this will be hiking and outdoors fun. Why the heck can't Yaesu just keep one set of connectors. I am sure there is a reason other than marketing they will share, but the VX7r speaker mic was waterproof and worked well. So, not happy to have to source a new mic.

6) Belt clip on the battery? Seriously?

7) Yaesu was associated with/owned by Motorola for a while. You couldn't have done a dumbed down DMR mode or developed a rig with DMR that has an equivalent to the DStar DD mode??

Should be fun seeing how this rig plays out over time. May have to get the wife one of the newer ones if this works well enough(her VX7r is still working fine.)