Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Emtron DX-3SP Help

Reviews Summary for Emtron DX-3SP
Emtron DX-3SP Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$4999
Description: RF Amplifier with a (PAIR of 4CX1500) / 4,000 to 5000 Watts PEP
More info: http://www.emtron.com.au/

You can write your own review of the Emtron DX-3SP.

W5RG Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2015 11:47 Send this review to a friend
VERY WELL BUILT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a number of Amp in 60 years but this is by far the best I have ever had. I drive it with a K3 at 13 watts and get 1500 watts plus output. It is built for high power and is rated for 5KW, and I have no doubt it will do it. It is really heavy duty unit for a desk top Amp. It has two inputs and two outputs and bar graph display that is top of the line. It has a input current bar to show how much current it is drawing on the 220 volt line, you better make sure you have 35amp lines run in your house.
Runs very cool here and the fans are not to loud. All metal work is very well done only 4 screws holding on the top cover. There is a top cover fan that draws air out of the unit to give very good cooling.
Shipping takes about a week and it is packed very well nice heavy boxes with tubes mounted and ready to go. Transformer was a snap to install, I was really surprised that it fit in as easy as it did. You have to remove a side panel and it sides right in place The transformer is shipped in a very nice wooden box. Both boxes made the long trip from VK land in very good condx. The manual is very well written and easy to understand. It has a guide to set the numbers before you turn it on. Rudy should be very proud of the workmanship that has been put into this unit. He is great to work with and will call you if you have a any problem. I do not have overseas calling so I would send him a e-mail and he would call the same day. Very happy with the product. I only wished I still living at my last QTH to really enjoy such a fine unit..

W4LAQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2014 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Repair complete - Great Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As an update to my earlier (November) review, I finally received the new control board from Emtron. Thanks to our postal service it took almost a month. I made a video of the removal process, and the replacement went flawlessly. It has been almost a month and none of the previous issues have surfaced.

As I mentioned before this is a beautifully constructed piece of equipment which has worked flawlessly since the control board replacement. It rates a five in my estimation.

A 4000 watt amplifier would be used as an exciter to an exciter in much of the 200kw to half megawatt transmitters I maintained in the US military.

Bob Young - W4LAQ / K8EQ

VK2UW Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2014 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is one of the first DX-3SP amplifier's to be produced and is working flawlessly. I have owned it now for over 5yrs and do not have even one complaint.
Rudi is always available if ever needed and hence the reason now to add another emtron to my shack being the all new DX-1SP. It looks proud sitting up beside it's bigger brother and is a breeze to operate and tune.

I have them connected up so I can swap from one to the other at anytime plus swap antennas to either one for operation.

I also have both the Emtron ES-1 connected to the DX-1SP and ES-1SP connected to the DX-3SP.
These both compliment the amplifiers and can be used with any amplifier to switch from one radio to another plus switch from one antenna to another even Solid State amplifiers.

Thanks to Emtron for such great products.
These are serious amplifiers and not toys like some others on the commercial market.

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 15:42 Send this review to a friend
A BEAST  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine came to me from another ham, just to much power for him. As I service these amps it was interesting to own one so I traded him down in power. Even the DX-2SP is more than anybody could need. The DX-3SP is different than the DX-3 which I have beside it. The DX-3SP is very lively but will quite happily run at our legal limit. The only down side at low power is that it consumes 300w on idle, to be expected for a 5000w amp.
Most repairs are due to operator fault, physical abuse, the amp is well protected otherwise. Component failure? With over 900 Emtron's in service I see less in them than some other brands.

K7ERQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Power House!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The New DX-3SP has been in my operating console for 30 days. 20 Plus hrs of use.

It has been "TUNED UP" on all HF bands and fed into a dummy Load. Put through exhausting trials.

As per its specs, the DX-3SP easily delivers legal power with 12 Watts to 20 watts depending on the band you are on. Headroom ??... "more than you will ever use"

EZ to tune. Cooling fans can be heard, but since I operate mostly on CW, fan noise here is not an issue.

I've had several emails back and forth to Rudi and Dan at Emtron. Very helpful in resolving any questions and issues.

I would welcome your telephone call to discuss if you wish Cell phone 1 801 372 2528 Roger Palmer

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had owned several Amplifiers, such as QRO (2500DX), Kenwood 922, and SB 220.. The DX - 3SP Amplifer is in the professional ranking, Nothing compares..

Lets start off with the AMP.We are talking real Testosterone, with a pair of 4CX1500 (If you wish to use), however, comes with a pair of FU-728F (Slightly higher power than the 4CX1500 )

Make no mistake about...The detail on the protection of the tubes, from the slow start, to VSWR protection, it is all over the top in high advance electronic circuitry, and you can actually monitor power line current.

The price, bascially a dollar a watt with a 4 year warranty. (What other company offers this??)

The usual, 20 or 25 watts input = 1500 PEP...I put in dummy load, and 20 meters, output of 5,000 watts PEP..

How about the service?

I had a question, (Nothing wrong with the AMP), and sent by email, I had two calls from the company at the same time..(The CEO and the Engineer)..

Who does that???

Emtron is based in Australia, and i know Aussie well (I am there often!), The Aussie are proud, loyal, and commited to their product and services, (Like Emtron) They remind of the 1950's in the USA, mean what you say and say what you mean.

In summary...

You can't beat the price (Dollar per watt), 4 warranty, and highly advanced circuity protection. Yes, it looks real good..!

The best piece of Ham Equipment I have owned in 34 years of being a Ham Operator..