Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Nye Viking Speed-X Keys Help

Reviews Summary for Nye Viking Speed-X Keys
Nye Viking Speed-X Keys Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $40 (Approx.)
Description: First made by Les Logan, then by E.F. Johnson, and now by Wm M. Nye Company, the zinc bases of the Speed-X keys have been cast in the the same molds since the 1930's

You can write your own review of the Nye Viking Speed-X Keys.

KG6QNK Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2010 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first and only Key I have ever owned, maybe the last. Simple, functional, durable. Holds Adjustments well; even with course threads. Remember to compensate about the thickness of a thread when locking adjustment with the locknut. I developed a hybrid American/European "Mut" style of sending that works quite well for me. I ordered the Base along with it; starts getting a little pricey (you can get a surplus "Junker" for about the same); however, it's made in America out of excellent materials. Gold plated Silver Contacts; don't make full face-to-face contact-angles involved prevent that- might be a good thing. Versatile: could be used as main station Key and Field QRP Key- small and light. Nothing fancy; however, am pleased.

2EOAKG Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2010 04:04 Send this review to a friend
A little charmer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this key,its simple design and sturdy construction are a delight.Its so easy to adjust and use.A terrific key that takes some beating.

TOPPER Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2009 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Love It!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really good straight key. There may be better, but I can find no fault with this key.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Time-proven keys  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a few of these for different rigs as backup.

For a low price these are excellent. Really, this was what was available for the last 70 years until we had to start with $10,000 rigs and $400 straight keys.

Adding a Morsex base makes a stable key.

KC8SLC Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine about 2 weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it!! Had trouble with the practice straight key {MFJ} and thought I would never catch on-that all changed with the Speed-X!!!! The adjustments are easy and the Navy knob comfortable; I would recommended this to anyone.

W8ZNX Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2007 14:20 Send this review to a friend

i do not

Mac dit dit

KD1E Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2005 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Very nice - a keeper.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used off e-bay and was fortunate to get it with a home-made base. The key is black crinkle with nickle finish and the navy knob.

When I got the key I put some moly lube on the pivot points just because it seemed like a good thing to do. I notice if I tighten the pivot bolts too much the key gets hard to move. Back the bolts off just a bit and it becomes smooth and crisp again.

As others have pointed out, the key is basic and just plain works. I can only compare it to my memories of the cheap (Radio Shack) key I had as a novice in the late 1970s. This key is much better. I also had a chance to use a Nye Master Key in the 1980's but I recall it having a bit of a soft feel since the contacts were mounted on the thin bottom cover plate. Anyway, I believe the basic Speed-X key is a better choice.

I really like the navy knob. I have another Speed-X that does not have the navy knob and it works just fine but the big knob has a nicer feel.

I had a 40 minute QSO with it last night and never felt the desire to go back to the Kent paddles & keyer.

I'm really looking forward to straight key night this year.

- Keith -

K9HCK Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2005 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in 1957 and despite owning bugs,keyboards and various electronic keyers I still prefer the old straight key. Black crinkle finish base and brass upper it still performs as flawlessly as my old fist allows.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2005 09:50 Send this review to a friend
"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale..."  Time owned: more than 12 months
You should purchase a Speed-X key only if you plan to operate CW for decades into the future, and if you have no interest in continuing experimentation to find the ultimate straight key! This one will do the job for you.....forever.

As a teenager I bought (the key that is now probably identified as) a Nye-Viking Model 310-003 at Henry Radio in west Los Angeles late in 1959 when I was studying for my novice license. At that time it was sold under the E. F. Johnson banner, and I think I paid $5 for it. Now in mid-2005, it is still in my shack and it still operates as well as it did the first day I used it. Certainly it needs a good cleaning and polishing, but the feel is still solid, positive, and precise. It always has worked well and never has it given the slightest problem.

One hint in using the key: it needs to be mounted to a heavy base to be effective. I was fortunate to find a unique item to serve as a base. During my first post-college job, our group machinist supplied me with a (scrap) piece of Lucite: a clear, heavy circular cutout 6 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick, including two drilled holes spaced to fit the key base and tapped for standard machine screws. With the key mounted to the Lucite, the entire assembly is stable on the operating bench and easy to use.

The key has not seen a lot of use in recent years, but now that I am retired and have the time.......

No other item from my 1960s ham shack remains in use today, some 45 years later. The Speed-X, however, will always be present. It was a purchase for a lifetime.

KD6DXA Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2005 17:07 Send this review to a friend
My First Key - Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first and only key I have ever owned. My grandmother (WA6TOA) bought it for me when I first decided to become a ham. The brass could use a good polish, but it's mechanically flawless. Highly recommended!