Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Nye Viking Speed-X Keys Help

Reviews Summary for Nye Viking Speed-X Keys
Nye Viking Speed-X Keys Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $40 (Approx.)
Description: First made by Les Logan, then by E.F. Johnson, and now by Wm M. Nye Company, the zinc bases of the Speed-X keys have been cast in the the same molds since the 1930's

You can write your own review of the Nye Viking Speed-X Keys.

K5RIX Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2010 18:33 Send this review to a friend
No need to prepare for SKN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed my Speed-X straight key here Aug 8, 2005. So now it has been in use for a bit over eight years. Glad I got the Navy knob (extra with the oval base) and the aluminum baseplate.

This key still feeds my need. While stationed in Japan a couple years I got to try a few really nice keys. The Japanese keys were great, and had a fit and finish more in line with the technology of today, and they were without exception quite expensive. But keys are not hood ornaments. I noticed the spring tension to be more stiff and to my liking on the GHD and Hi-Mound, but not like the original Bencher RJ's (way too stiff, and the replacements way too soft). So I put a half-turn on the Speed-X spring and, voila, perfect.

Other than roughly annual cleaning with alcohol/swab and one or two passes of the Vibroplex contact-cleaner strip, my Speed-X has required no maintenance. There is a kind of Geist with this key and me; I operate almost exclusively CW, and about half of that is on a straight key. It's pretty easy to chug along around 20-22 WPM with the Speed-X. Although I'm not rough on keys, my J-38 feels a bit fragile, and the Nye Master Key (since sold, but a pretty nice key) always felt mushy. I have a little LTA key that has the contacts in back which is quite nice, but it isn't as solid as the Speed-X. For true delight, rig up a two-conductor cable and put your Speed-X in parallel with a bug. My Speed-X has a lot of hours on it, and it still works just fine. As stated elsewhere in these reviews, keys are a kinda personal thing. Personally, I really prefer this one.

BOYSCLUBRADIO Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2010 00:11 Send this review to a friend
best for the least  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have three of these keys. some are orginal from the 60's and 70s. (johnson speed X) One has a sticker on the bottom from allied radio saying 5.95.

Best key around. We had 1/4 inch red brass plates made for them engraved with the donars SK call sign.

Use only 3 rubber stick on feet one at the top and one at each corner under the rear of the 3x5x1/4 brass plate. Keeps it from moving around and gives it a nice feel for sending. Looks golden when all buffed up.

KG6QNK Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2010 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first and only Key I have ever owned, maybe the last. Simple, functional, durable. Holds Adjustments well; even with course threads. Remember to compensate about the thickness of a thread when locking adjustment with the locknut. I developed a hybrid American/European "Mut" style of sending that works quite well for me. I ordered the Base along with it; starts getting a little pricey (you can get a surplus "Junker" for about the same); however, it's made in America out of excellent materials. Gold plated Silver Contacts; don't make full face-to-face contact-angles involved prevent that- might be a good thing. Versatile: could be used as main station Key and Field QRP Key- small and light. Nothing fancy; however, am pleased.

2EOAKG Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2010 04:04 Send this review to a friend
A little charmer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this key,its simple design and sturdy construction are a delight.Its so easy to adjust and use.A terrific key that takes some beating.

TOPPER Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2009 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Love It!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really good straight key. There may be better, but I can find no fault with this key.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Time-proven keys  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a few of these for different rigs as backup.

For a low price these are excellent. Really, this was what was available for the last 70 years until we had to start with $10,000 rigs and $400 straight keys.

Adding a Morsex base makes a stable key.

KC8SLC Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine about 2 weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it!! Had trouble with the practice straight key {MFJ} and thought I would never catch on-that all changed with the Speed-X!!!! The adjustments are easy and the Navy knob comfortable; I would recommended this to anyone.

W8ZNX Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2007 14:20 Send this review to a friend

i do not

Mac dit dit

KD1E Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2005 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Very nice - a keeper.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used off e-bay and was fortunate to get it with a home-made base. The key is black crinkle with nickle finish and the navy knob.

When I got the key I put some moly lube on the pivot points just because it seemed like a good thing to do. I notice if I tighten the pivot bolts too much the key gets hard to move. Back the bolts off just a bit and it becomes smooth and crisp again.

As others have pointed out, the key is basic and just plain works. I can only compare it to my memories of the cheap (Radio Shack) key I had as a novice in the late 1970s. This key is much better. I also had a chance to use a Nye Master Key in the 1980's but I recall it having a bit of a soft feel since the contacts were mounted on the thin bottom cover plate. Anyway, I believe the basic Speed-X key is a better choice.

I really like the navy knob. I have another Speed-X that does not have the navy knob and it works just fine but the big knob has a nicer feel.

I had a 40 minute QSO with it last night and never felt the desire to go back to the Kent paddles & keyer.

I'm really looking forward to straight key night this year.

- Keith -

K9HCK Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2005 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in 1957 and despite owning bugs,keyboards and various electronic keyers I still prefer the old straight key. Black crinkle finish base and brass upper it still performs as flawlessly as my old fist allows.