Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | LOGic 5.0 for Windows Help

Reviews Summary for LOGic 5.0 for Windows
LOGic 5.0 for Windows Reviews: 24 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $129
Description: The ULTIMATE ham radio software.
More info: http://hosenose.com

You can write your own review of the LOGic 5.0 for Windows.

KD1JT Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2001 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a programmer, who for nine years used my own logging program because nothing else out there would do what I wanted it to, nor would allow me to add functionality as I discovered the need, I like Logic! No other logging program gives me the flexibility to customize almost every aspect of the program like Logic does. From screen layouts, to user defined fields, to report layouts, to contest rules, and much, much more Logic is whatever I make it to be!

It works just fine on my OLD computer (Evergreen K5 processor at 240mHz, 40mb ram) and I've experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever.

WA6SPA Rating: 0/5 Apr 13, 2001 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using Logic from PDA since version 3 and this is more of a cautionary note than anything else. Version 5 causes no end of problems on my computer although DX4WIN, AALOG, DXBASE, TRX-MGR, and others run fine without a 'hiccup'... Each boot of Logic results in my system becomming 'jerky' and slow as if recources are being drained and memory is taxed almost to the point of lockup. The user interface is clumsy and difficult to use and the initial setup disk I received from PDA was missing install programs. Not to mention the fact they 'overlooked' my order and it took a "what's going on?" call from me before they shipped my order- took 2 weeks.

As background, I love to try new software and install and uninstall software daily just to try it - if I find something I like I keep it and pay the author. So far, out of the hundreds of programs I've tried, Logic is the ONLY program to have negative effects on my computers operating system.

I wrote PDA, explained the problems, and received a response to the effect that I should 1) Remove any virus protection programs and 2) Uninstall Norton Utilities if I have it running (I do).

First having to remove my virus checkers is an unacceptable resolution to Logic's problem. Next the same goes for Norton Utilites. Every other program I load on my system runs and plays 'nice nice' with the other programs on my system - Logic 5 is the only one which doesn't and I'll not remove vital protection programs just so Logic can run.

I guess all the other programs on my system (which run fine) are 'buggy'? Not to mention the dozen or so new programs I load on and off every week which run correctly with the the other software - Logic is the ONLY program which causes me to reboot each time I try it...

PDA insists the problem is mine...

As I said, this is just a warning to those who are considering buying Logic. It may - or may not - run on your system. If it doesn't - you're on your own and it's an awfully lot of money to waste...

My advise - check out the host of other fine logging programs that run without Logic's 'quirks' and problems...

AD6W Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2000 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Only one that does it all  Time owned: more than 12 months
Logic is shack automation software, not just a logging program. At my shack it runs all day, every day. It is extensible to monitor and control just about anything, and is the only software I have found that does everything I need it to do. The many features may at first seem intimidating. It has the ability to control two rotors, for instance, and also the ability to access my logbook from more than one computer on my home network. I have tried other programs and they all seem to lack one or more of the features I find absolutely necessary in Logic. I have stuck with Logic for about 5 years now through several revisions, and Dennis WN4AZY just keeps making it better. He has been very helpful in solving any problems I have encountered and always answers his email. Logic does need lots of memory and processor speed to run well, but that's par for the course with software that pushes the edge.

AB4RL Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2000 13:02 Send this review to a friend
5.3 is here! Customer support is excellent.  Time owned: more than 12 months
5.3 has finally been released. The link to DXTelnet and the improved map feature are excellent (real time spots, click on a spot on the map and your radio follows). There is also a link to Digipan, PKTerm, PacTerm, etc. i'm not very active on the digital modes but it's nice to know that these features are there to play with. I cannot say enough good things about the support by WN4AZY. Now, I can't wait for the next version :)

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2000 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Product & Great Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am prompted to write this review for one reason, unbelieveablely great support! Recently, I acquired a 2nd computer controlled rig, the FT1000MP. Having run out of serial ports on my PC, I had to go the USB to Serial converter route. Out of the box, I could not get the converter to talk to either rig. Dennis of PDA and Jay of PC Cables got together and worked out the problem in 36 hours and provided a software fix via the PDA website. As an "IT Professional," I'd say that's very responsive!

In response to some of the other comments: There is a learning curve because Logic 5.2 does about everything. I have found the organization to be very LOGICal. As to the speed, running version 5.0 on a 32MB P-75, response seemed a bit sluggish. V 5.2 on my 96 MB PII-350 is very snappy. Even in the past 3 years that I've ran LOGIC, I can see where Dennis has added multiple forms and features in response to customers' needs.

Upgrade prices and processes are smooth.

Purchasing LOGic 5.X is a wise investment!

N3GPU Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2000 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned LOGic for over 9 years. Calling it a logging program falls far short of doing it justice. It is a station control software package.

I am still exercising new features of the software after all that time. The design is well thought out, support has been excellent, and Dennis listens to his customers when adding new features and enhancements. I wish LOGic had more features for the contester, but can understand why Dennis has added other features of greater general interest instead. I use CT for most contests, and compatibility is not a problem. I just import my contest log into LOGic after each event, and have a single master database for managing all my QSLs, award tracking, etc.

Rigs as well as peripherals such as CW and voice keyers, rotors, multimode controllers, automated antenna switches, etc. are easily integrated, and both Dennis and his product partners have provided excellent support.

I've tried just about every other general purpose and contest logging/shack control program that's come down the pike, and I have never found one that is superior to LOGic.

K1VV Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2000 18:37 Send this review to a friend
LOGIC5 is the BEST !!!  Time owned: unknown months
We submitted a previous review of LOGIC5.. it is GREAT.. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A BUG !! We had LOGIC4 and upgraded to LOGIC5 when it came out. We have our own 30,000 Qs in the log and over 15,000 Qs for W1AA in our Marconi Radio Club log. Several other amateurs locally have bought and use LOGIC5 and they love it. It does everything .. rig control.. packet.. tracks all awards.. prints QSL labels or cards ..we can import CT contest logs into LOGIC5 .. We cannot say enough good about the program and the support you get from PDA.
73 Whitey K1VV

4Z1JJ Rating: 1/5 Apr 14, 2000 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money  Time owned: unknown months
Not user friendly and full of bugs. Despite its name, it is not LOGical or intuitive. I switched to Log EQF, and although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it works well.

AB4RL Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2000 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Getting better...  Time owned: unknown months
Admittedly, there is a steep learning curve to take advantage of ALL the features. I've been using this program for about five years (started with the DOS version). I feel like I'm still learning new features that this program can do after all these years of playing with the program. And the more I learn the more I appreciate how "thoughtful" and "insightful" Dennis/WN4AZY (the program's author) was when designing it. There is now a email reflector (long overdue, IMHO). Each of us has our own special requests and I know Dennis makes a professional effort to satisfy his customer base. All in all, I can't wait for version 5.3 to come out. 73.

N5CQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 1999 07:26 Send this review to a friend
John Langdon "I like it. It works for me."  Time owned: unknown months
Have been using LOGic for about 18 months now. Works very well, and fully integrates packet cluster and DX Summit inputs to the spot log, and filters your needed band countries. Handles all QSL tasks: lets me do one sorted batch of bureau cards, then direct cards. Latest version 5.2.23 interfaces with the Kachina just fine, even when operating remote. New map feature is cool, replaces map of "DX Monitor" I had been using and integrates filtering of spots. I even used in for WPX last year and worked pretty well for 900 Q's or so. It's not a "full boat" contesting program but it worked fine. I have had no trouble importing contest logs from TR, and exports to ADIF formate are easy. Support has been very responsive - regular "office hours" on the phone plus good turnaround on email "after hours". I have had few problems with Win98, but have heard about some trouble running under NT. Two monitor support is a little weird, in that you cannot drag any of the sub windows out of LOGic main window, but that's no big deal. Overall, I'm keeping it.