Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic D-104 Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic D-104
Astatic D-104 Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $90.
Description: The Liliypop Mike
More info: http://www.astatic.com

You can write your own review of the Astatic D-104.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2017 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 2nd hand D-104 back in 1963, used it with my Ranger, later used it with my HW-101 and got excellent audio reports. When I built my Elecraft K2 I built a simple FET amp for use with the K2 (high impedance D-104 to low impedance K2) and again got excellent reports. So I have owned this D-104 for over 50 years. I would recommend anyone with a new rig use one, but build the N9WB circuit, rather then the amp that came with later D-104s. The link is http://www.qsl.net/hcara/D-104.htm N9WB shows using a 9V battery, but I had good results using the 5V from the rig.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2017 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Great audio reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always liked the look of the D-104. Something very cool and retro looking. I had the opportunity to get one in nice shape (cosmetically) for a reasonable price, had the cash, so said... hey, what the heck.

The mic I received has a plain old "G" stand. That is, a SPDT switch in the "chicken choker" and two two wires (plus old fashioned braid)in the cord. The inked stamping in side the base reads 10-58. That, coupled with 2 cloth covered wires and fiber cord surrounded by litz wire in its stock cable, make me think the base (at least) is from 1958, as the stamping suggests.

I had no idea if the mic would work, but I wired it up for my ICOM IC-7200 with a 4 wire cord, keeping the "audio ground" and "PTT ground" separate, which meant a minor revision the D-104 base wiring. I used a Sprague "Orange Drop" .1mfd capacitor to block the DC on pin 1 of the mic connection.

Things are pretty tight in the 8 pin shell, so I removed pin 2 (+8v) completely from the plug's housing, preventing any potential for future smoke creation.

After a bit of testing to make sure the mic's switch still worked, I plugged it in, tuned up on 40m, and joined the only ragchew I could find in the middle of an ARRL contest weekend.

"GREAT AUDIO" was the response. Later, another QSO with two locals confirmed solid readable audio, with a bit of the high end the D-104 is noted for.

Here's what I learned, and was unable to find with reasonable certainty elsewhere on the 'net.

1. Keep the PTT and audio grounds separate. That may involve getting the plug at the top of the base off (easy, 1 screw) and snipping a wire to ground on its "solder" side of the pins.

2. Bob Heil is perhaps too conservative regarding how the IC-7200, and maybe other "low gain" ICOM radios will perform with the stock Astatic D-104 element. Mine has plenty of gain. Gain set a 55 with the "comp" setting of 4 on the IC-7200 works fine, according to reports. And that's with the mic at a comfortable distance away, on the desktop.

3. In this particular case, impedance be damned, it works, but I can't say why. I'm assuming the IC-7200's mic-gain control has enough latitude to make it work.

4. Reports of hum, noise, scratchiness, buzz, rasp, or any other nasty audio artifacts were non existent. Other than the perfect call of "that mic of yours sounds exactly like a D-104!", and the aforementioned traditional D-104 weighting in the high mid-range, nobody had anything negative to report.

So there you have it. The marriage of an Astatic D-104 oldie to a more modern ICOM IC-7200. What I read on the net suggests some jumping through hoops, but the worst of it was soldering the wires into the 8 pin plug.

My "normal" mic had been the stock "JAPAN" marked HM-36, which has now been put away, but kept on the "reserved" list.

And one last item. I can't imagine the Heil 5.1 element "upgrade" being any worse with the IC-7200 (even though its not Heil's best ICM element).

Hopefully some of this will be useful to another HAM down the road....

NH7AA Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2016 01:46 Send this review to a friend
Love the D-104!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the decades, I have used a number of lollipop's. Restored a Silver Eagle, put a Yaesu 8-p Foster on it, connected to my FT3000. Got on a few DX nets and after the net, got a few to standby to do a comparison for me. I then connected my H**L Pro-7 to get a baseline of the audio'punch' and understandability...then switched to the D104SE...got the SAME REPORT!! The only 'mod' was to add the 10:1 Z-conversion (680R & 6K8 resistors) in line with the mic output.
If you want AM-quality audio, then do not even think of using a D104...and please...don't 'bastardize' it with fancy new preamps, etc... The original designers KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING... The makers of the newer preamps 'mean well' and probably don't make much money from them...but, please do not change the existing ones...if your preamp isn't putting out good punching audio, then FIX IT...It is so easy to replace the 2 transistors with a PN200 from Radio Shack and the caps... The element can be replaced with another CRYSTAL element available from many sources. (although they might need to be 'secured' in the lollipop).
BTW, I have a number in stock, and will refurbish and add a connector for any rig. Email me.

KB1BC Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2013 18:27 Send this review to a friend
D-104 Easily Modernized  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up a D-104 with T-UG8 Stand which was in very good shape 3 days ago off of local craigslist and then ordered W2ENY's HiFi Electret MIC Element upgrade kit (Just Google it). Removed the original mic element and old coiled cable, then soldered in the new element and rewired a black CAT-5 network cable for use with my IC-706MKII. The upgrade was fast and easy and most of the time was spent cleaning up the chrome parts when reassembling. Now I am using a classic microphone that sounds awesome and also matches the impedance requirements of my modern transceiver. Total cost for me was $73 which is way cheaper than the cost of an ICom desk microphone. If you can find a D-104 with good chrome on the head and neck stem and a working switch it is a perfect candidate for this easy upgrade.

WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2013 04:26 Send this review to a friend
D-104 ESSB  Time owned: more than 12 months
ESSB.... yes!

I have my Silver Eagle setup for Behringer MIC2200, EX3200, MDX2600, EAM/ESSB modified TS-940SAT. Mic works very very well!!!

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 12:19 Send this review to a friend
A great communications microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
The D-104 range of mics were first and foremost communications grade microphones. Remember that fact and say it twice.

The were not design to be recording units,but for amateur\non-critical\radio use. In that role, and coupled correctly, the D-104 is a great communications microphone. Clean, CRISP, highly intelligible audio that makes each syllable perfectly understandable.

Larry King audio... nope.....ESSB audio...nope, but if you want that, spend a ton of money or use AM or FM. SSB was designed ( and works well ) to be an efficient, narrow bandwidth mode. The audio part of it was deemed acceptable ...and still is.

I have a D-104 Silver Eagle and turn the pre-amp to only two and the TS-440S's mic gain to about 4
and it works very well. The mike gets "OOHS and AHHS" from teenage or younger visitors to my shack because it looks "so retro " or so they tell me. I have no complaints on the build quality and many cab and dispatch services used these mics ( D-104's of any flavor ) for years with millions of key and unkey actions. I used to have a pager ( remember them?) and the ladies that would relay messages used a D-104 microphone at the transmitting end.

They always had crisp, CLEAN, and understandable audio.

Used D-104's ususally need to be relubricated, and it does not hurt to resolder all contacts.Adding a electret element to replace a working UNDAMAGED original element is pure folly, and there are those that have done it. Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine in a Corolla and then hoping somehow that it will be a Ferrari.

There is NOTHING wrong with the audio of a D-104 if one remembers what it was designed to do ,AND if it is not overdriven AND is electrically and mechanically working.

Most new hams, however, have no idea of the tonal design plan that was incorporated into this mic and think it should sound like a studio mike. Then again, even experienced hams still believe that somehow, someway, SSB can become and deliver AM or FM quality audio easily. Sorry folks but theres one word preventing that.......BANDWIDTH!!

All the best.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 09:00 Send this review to a friend
GOOD DX MIC FOR OLDER RADIOS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have found this to be a great microphone to use working DX. I've used several of these microphones on many different radios over the years. In my opinion, it's not the best microphone for casual ragchew, but it's not bad it's just not the best. I have found it works better with older tube HF radios. They are a little "hot" for the newer radios, but they work. It has sharper audio and seems to punch through for DX quite nicely. I've found putting on the DA-10 head works better for SSB. Tim, KX7P.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2011 18:49 Send this review to a friend
amplified 1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the amplified 1 and it works good with my FT101ZD but very sensitive.

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Inky-dinky  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best mic ever made. I bought mine used when I was a kid on CB. Un-amplified, straight cord. Sounded perfect on my Kenwoods with the OE element. Sounded very bad on my ICOMs. I now use it with a Heil element on my Yaesu with great results. Couldnít imagine using any other mic for day to day use. I even maintain this belly just to give it a place to rest! Great mic, long history. Canít go wrong. 10-4!

KB0HAE Rating: 0/5 Sep 18, 2011 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
While these mics may have been good back in the all tube tranceiver days, most of the quality was lost in the early 70s. I have owned several of these junkers over the years. The originals were unamplified. When CB became popular, a lot of quality was dropped, and a cheap amp was added. The chicken choker was tiring to use for long QSOs. The base with the press-bar needed constant adjustments as the press-bar was made of cheap metal, and wouldn't hold its shape. Most used ones have been messed with or had holes poked in the mic element. CBers spread the rumor that poking a hole or 2 in the element would improve the output or the sound.

Just say no to these junkers!