Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT5K-HP Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT5K-HP
Palstar AT5K-HP Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1195
Description: The new AT5K-HP 3500 watt antenna tuner covers 160m to 6m with a power
rating of up to 3500 watts PEP. The AT5K-HP is for Hams who already have
their own power metering systems, but want the power handling of the AT5K.
More info: http://www.palstar.com/en/at5k-hp/

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT5K-HP.

N7FSM Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having some problems with a different legal limit tuner, I called Palstar looking for a solution. Paul and Eva were eager to address my concerns. After a brief discussion it was decided. For my station, I run external transformer baluns of various ratios to folded dipoles. DX Engineering 1:1, 6:1, 9:1 and 12:1 for various antennas (60 meters through 6) and have a Daiwa CN-801 SWR/power meter. As such the AT5K-HP was suggested. In dealing with Palstar directly, I must say that their service was really top notch and they promised to send my product right out immediately. True to their word, the tuner arrived days before I was expecting.

Thus far, it works as advertised. Unlike the "other" I am able to to obtain a 1:1 match anywhere and everywhere I choose with anything and everything I've connected it too. It's a true HF+6 manual tuner. Connect it to your HF+6 transceiver and an HF+6 amplifier and you're good to go! Why limit your station to HF or 6 only? Save your hard earned dollars and use your new HF+6 transceiver to it's potential!

As far as things I like, being completely passive is nice. The last thing my station needs is 1 more thing connected to 12 volts.

The vernier dials on the input and output capacitors is a big step towards the positive too. It makes tuning smooth and accurate. The action on the inductor too. Smooth and very round with nary a deviation on the springs that align contact wheel. Obviously much time and craftsmanship had been exercised bringing this particular component up to expectations. For that, I am thankful, as this was part of the reason I was in the market for a different beast than I had to begin with.

It's a manual tuner, so I have a notepad with all of my inductor & cap in/out settings for each frequency I use. The vernier dials and 0-229 counter make everything a snap on the first go with little, if any need for further adjustments.

I like that the case seems to have a slightly smaller footprint and isn't quite as tall as the problem tuner I used to own. This may have more to do with function than form, but on my crowded desk, every inch counts.

If you already have baluns and a cross needle SWR meter from years of being a ham and/or have a need for a REALLY capable high power tuner to match your new HF+6 rig, this is the tuner for you.