Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic D-104 Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic D-104
Astatic D-104 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $90.
Description: The Liliypop Mike
More info: http://www.astatic.com

You can write your own review of the Astatic D-104.

KB1BC Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2013 18:27 Send this review to a friend
D-104 Easily Modernized  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up a D-104 with T-UG8 Stand which was in very good shape 3 days ago off of local craigslist and then ordered W2ENY's HiFi Electret MIC Element upgrade kit (Just Google it). Removed the original mic element and old coiled cable, then soldered in the new element and rewired a black CAT-5 network cable for use with my IC-706MKII. The upgrade was fast and easy and most of the time was spent cleaning up the chrome parts when reassembling. Now I am using a classic microphone that sounds awesome and also matches the impedance requirements of my modern transceiver. Total cost for me was $73 which is way cheaper than the cost of an ICom desk microphone. If you can find a D-104 with good chrome on the head and neck stem and a working switch it is a perfect candidate for this easy upgrade.

WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2013 04:26 Send this review to a friend
D-104 ESSB  Time owned: more than 12 months
ESSB.... yes!

I have my Silver Eagle setup for Behringer MIC2200, EX3200, MDX2600, EAM/ESSB modified TS-940SAT. Mic works very very well!!!

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 12:19 Send this review to a friend
A great communications microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
The D-104 range of mics were first and foremost communications grade microphones. Remember that fact and say it twice.

The were not design to be recording units,but for amateur\non-critical\radio use. In that role, and coupled correctly, the D-104 is a great communications microphone. Clean, CRISP, highly intelligible audio that makes each syllable perfectly understandable.

Larry King audio... nope.....ESSB audio...nope, but if you want that, spend a ton of money or use AM or FM. SSB was designed ( and works well ) to be an efficient, narrow bandwidth mode. The audio part of it was deemed acceptable ...and still is.

I have a D-104 Silver Eagle and turn the pre-amp to only two and the TS-440S's mic gain to about 4
and it works very well. The mike gets "OOHS and AHHS" from teenage or younger visitors to my shack because it looks "so retro " or so they tell me. I have no complaints on the build quality and many cab and dispatch services used these mics ( D-104's of any flavor ) for years with millions of key and unkey actions. I used to have a pager ( remember them?) and the ladies that would relay messages used a D-104 microphone at the transmitting end.

They always had crisp, CLEAN, and understandable audio.

Used D-104's ususally need to be relubricated, and it does not hurt to resolder all contacts.Adding a electret element to replace a working UNDAMAGED original element is pure folly, and there are those that have done it. Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine in a Corolla and then hoping somehow that it will be a Ferrari.

There is NOTHING wrong with the audio of a D-104 if one remembers what it was designed to do ,AND if it is not overdriven AND is electrically and mechanically working.

Most new hams, however, have no idea of the tonal design plan that was incorporated into this mic and think it should sound like a studio mike. Then again, even experienced hams still believe that somehow, someway, SSB can become and deliver AM or FM quality audio easily. Sorry folks but theres one word preventing that.......BANDWIDTH!!

All the best.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 09:00 Send this review to a friend
GOOD DX MIC FOR OLDER RADIOS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have found this to be a great microphone to use working DX. I've used several of these microphones on many different radios over the years. In my opinion, it's not the best microphone for casual ragchew, but it's not bad it's just not the best. I have found it works better with older tube HF radios. They are a little "hot" for the newer radios, but they work. It has sharper audio and seems to punch through for DX quite nicely. I've found putting on the DA-10 head works better for SSB. Tim, KX7P.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2011 18:49 Send this review to a friend
amplified 1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the amplified 1 and it works good with my FT101ZD but very sensitive.

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Inky-dinky  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best mic ever made. I bought mine used when I was a kid on CB. Un-amplified, straight cord. Sounded perfect on my Kenwoods with the OE element. Sounded very bad on my ICOMs. I now use it with a Heil element on my Yaesu with great results. Couldnít imagine using any other mic for day to day use. I even maintain this belly just to give it a place to rest! Great mic, long history. Canít go wrong. 10-4!

KB0HAE Rating: 0/5 Sep 18, 2011 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
While these mics may have been good back in the all tube tranceiver days, most of the quality was lost in the early 70s. I have owned several of these junkers over the years. The originals were unamplified. When CB became popular, a lot of quality was dropped, and a cheap amp was added. The chicken choker was tiring to use for long QSOs. The base with the press-bar needed constant adjustments as the press-bar was made of cheap metal, and wouldn't hold its shape. Most used ones have been messed with or had holes poked in the mic element. CBers spread the rumor that poking a hole or 2 in the element would improve the output or the sound.

Just say no to these junkers!

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2011 14:56 Send this review to a friend
SWEET AUDIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using these microphones for over 40 years on Ham Radio & CB radio & have NEVER had a bad one.I have many different models in my collection (7)at the time of this review.The GOLDEN EAGLE, SILVER EAGLE,the TUG-8's,TUG-9's & they all work GREAT.I plan on adding MANY more to my collection if at all possible.The most BEAUTIFUL microphones EVER made in my opinion & the have GREAT audio if adjusted properly so get you one & see for yourself.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 09:49 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE AUDIO }:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several D-104 microphones & LOVE them all.I use a GOLDEN EAGLE with my Tram D-201 & my SILVER EAGLE on my ICOM 746 PRO.Also use the original D-104's on other rigs in my shack & they ALL sound & look GREAT!I have always LOVED that ASTATIC D-104 "AUDIO". }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2011 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Simply a great microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the TUG8 D104 amplified stand matched with the 10DA head. This helps to eliminate the "tinny" sound the lolipop head generates. I also have a non amplified UG8 and the heads are inter-changeable. I have used both for 20+ years and they still look and work great with both my TS530 and also my old hiZ Tempo 2020. Plus they are easy to wire to any radio as wiring codes are all over the net. Wouldn't take for em!