Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic D-104 Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic D-104
Astatic D-104 Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $90.
Description: The Liliypop Mike
More info: http://www.astatic.com

You can write your own review of the Astatic D-104.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2011 14:56 Send this review to a friend
SWEET AUDIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using these microphones for over 40 years on Ham Radio & CB radio & have NEVER had a bad one.I have many different models in my collection (7)at the time of this review.The GOLDEN EAGLE, SILVER EAGLE,the TUG-8's,TUG-9's & they all work GREAT.I plan on adding MANY more to my collection if at all possible.The most BEAUTIFUL microphones EVER made in my opinion & the have GREAT audio if adjusted properly so get you one & see for yourself.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 09:49 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE AUDIO }:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several D-104 microphones & LOVE them all.I use a GOLDEN EAGLE with my Tram D-201 & my SILVER EAGLE on my ICOM 746 PRO.Also use the original D-104's on other rigs in my shack & they ALL sound & look GREAT!I have always LOVED that ASTATIC D-104 "AUDIO". }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2011 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Simply a great microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the TUG8 D104 amplified stand matched with the 10DA head. This helps to eliminate the "tinny" sound the lolipop head generates. I also have a non amplified UG8 and the heads are inter-changeable. I have used both for 20+ years and they still look and work great with both my TS530 and also my old hiZ Tempo 2020. Plus they are easy to wire to any radio as wiring codes are all over the net. Wouldn't take for em!

KB8DNS Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 12:25 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first Astatics were created around 1933 and production finally stopped in 2001. Still on of the best mics! I have five and will buy more as I find them. One of the better ones came from a scrap iron pile and it cleaned up great! From 1975, date is usually under the base cover, it is an amplified TU stand with D104 head. The frequency response in perfect for SSB coms! I even had the lip tingle with my FT101EE!

K2OWK Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2010 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Finest microphone ever made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this microphone off EBay for a very low price. The seller said he found it in the attic in a shoe box had no way to test it so he sold it to me as is. It arrived dirty, dusty, but had no rust. I turned it over and noticed it had a volume control in the base. I removed the base to discover the Astatic two transistor amplifier. The battery had been removed so the unit was in excellent condition. I took the microphone apart cleaned it. Replaced a foam piece on the back that had turned to chewing gum, and restored the microphone. It had the original Astatic cartridge. When I was done it looked like new. I installed a new nine volt battery. I connected it up to an audio amplifier and tested it. The audio was spactacular to say the least. I see why all the excellent reports on this microphone. It is a beauty in looks quility and sound, and to think it was designed in the 1930s. Wow!!!!

KD8HSG Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2010 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just wired one up to my FT2000D and it drives the radio cleanly and easily to the max. Audio reports are great. You won't get that commercial FM radio sound but if you want to be heard and understood get one!

W0EAJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Best in the long haul  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still use the D-104 I got with my SWAN 500C, back in 1971 (from Burstein-Applebee in KC), ON my restored SWAN 350, and used 'em before that in HS. Don't hit or drop it, but otherwise it's perfect for many rigs. I slipped a cloth bag over the head, back when I got it, for a spit-trap, and it's kept the cloth, head, & element in perfect shape.

Yes, it's a bit "hot" for newer radios, but when it was designed, it was made for plate-modulated transmitters, and STILL performs that task admirably. Interesting note: The preamp was NOT there for CB rigs to "drive the snot out of 'em", rather, to match the different impedances used in "modern" radios.

I have the original and a Golden Eagle - PLUS the 10-D that's used with my IC-756 PRO II

(I also discovered the 10D is a favorite with harmonica (mouth harp) players).

KA2OVK Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2009 07:27 Send this review to a friend
W2ENY NEW Hi-Fi ELEMENT REPLACEMENT IS GREAT!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a couple D104s laying around and as you all know, fidelity is shrill and isn't good at all.

This guy has an electret replacement that brings the mic alive! I use on my Icom 756 and played with the bass and treble settings - now it looks great AND sounds great!

Well worth the $ - I resold the old elements so I actually made money buying this!

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2009 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Watch the used ones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am putting up a warning for people buying old used D 104 mics. They certainly perform as advertised when terminated with the correct load. Only the amplified version should be used with low or medium input impedances though. The warning is that for some reason, alot of used ones have holes poked in the diaphrams. Like someone poked something thru the grille, or even looking like they were intentionally poked. Also apparently some folks wanted to take them apart and play with the guts, you find crushed, dented and messed with aluminum diaphrams in used ones. I think the CBers were probably the worst for doing this. Beware a used one that looks OK outside may just have been messed up inside. So buyer beware on used ones! I have seen this too much.

KB1OOX Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2008 18:30 Send this review to a friend
good mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
i can rember the first time i saw a D-104 it was back in 1973 when the old man got in to cb's . he got a brownning golden eagle markII and it had the d-104.it was his baby.both the radio and the mic.now i have them both.. the radio is set up i dont use it much .. but the d-104 i use with my ts820s.. it.s not a hi-fi but i get good reports with.. i switch back and forth with the d-104 and my turner plus 3 and the mc50.. and it looks good ...