Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit SB-200 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB-200
Heathkit SB-200 Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Original Price $400
Description: HF Amp using two 572B's, 80 - 10 meters

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB-200.

KK6YO Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2016 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just traded one of my Yaeau FT-101 E's for a SB-200 and found out that it needed a power supply. I bought one completed on ebay and after looking at the easy diagram to install / old power supply I found out that the amplifier easily transmitted over 700 watts. So it looks like it will last another 50 years. If you are looking for a great amp at a reasonable price (fix or not) the SB-200 is the amp for you. Fantastic would be an understatement for sure. VERY easy to work on and I highly recommend this beauty to anyone who can get one of these old beauties. Love it - 73 - KK6YO

LU8HRW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2016 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Little war tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
The SB 200 it is an linear amplifier easy to adjust, operate and repair(when if necessary, cero problem in my case). Very spacious inside, easy access to components and a very robust construction.The two tubes Cetron 572B easily deliver aprox. 500w/600w on 40M band. I am very pleased with this linear amplifier. It was a good choice.73 LU8HRW

W5DVG Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2015 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Always wanted an amp for the shack just to boost the RF a little. I am a happy camper. Had this amp for about six months. Has all the HB mods in it. Puts out 500-600 watts. You don't need much. A great piece of Amateur Radio history that still works like a champ.

KD2ACO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Bargain!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine needed a complete rebuild. The original Cetron tubes, PS transformer, and big parts were fine. All the little stuff has been changed (Harbach boards and my own mods). 60 watts drives it to full power. The amp is easy to use and powerful. I'm getting great reports and the Tek spectrum analyzer says that everything is clean. Within it's limitations, this amp is a winner for sure. It's all the power amp I need for my shack and the price is right!

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp on the air for a few years now. It s a great, rugged little amp that is a workhorse. I highly reccomend putting in the harbach mods, mine has all of them. While I don't have original cetrons, the chinese tubes do ok. Mine is still in the original heathkit green (the color is great and classic heathkit!). For the price it is a really great value... inexpensive and reliable. It gives you a nice edge if / when you need it. I don't usually run more than 500-550 watts (that seems to be plenty).

AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Old reliable   Time owned: more than 12 months
Putting aside the fact that this amp does not have 160m and the color scheme leaves a lot to be desired, this is a great amp.

My SB-200 was a birthday present from my mom (K9TP) and dad (W9LE) and while that might color the review a bit, the amp really is wonderful for what it is. Mine still has all the original parts and tubes and I never give it a second thought. I consistently get 700w on 80m and 550w on 10m.

The only huge gripes I have are no 160m, and the amp isn't the smoothest to tune I have ever tried. Other than that, the SB-200, properly maintained will last you a lifetime.

W5PD Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first Amplifier. Purchased, built, and put in service in July 1973. Used for 14 years until I purchased an LK-550 in 1987. Stored the SB-200 until July 2013 when I put it back in service. Because of the age of the unit and since it had been stored for over 25yr, I did the Harbach power supply board, soft start kit, soft key kit and a new relay. Unit works great. Still gets about 700w PEP output (alpha 4510 wattmeter) on 20m and is still using the original tubes. Very easy to tune. Looks like it is time to put the LK-550 up for sale.

NM5M Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2013 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my SB200 on Craigslist for $200. I would not recommend paying much more if the PS board has not been replaced.

The amp was very dirty, probably had been sitting in a barn for a few years as it was covered in red dirt/dust. I cleaned the amp thoroughly and installed the Harbach power supply board. Got very lucky as the tubes and power transformer were both good. Turned on the amp, and 40 to 50 w drive yielded 400 watts output. First qso was with JT5DX on 20m.

W3SQE Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Great 'ol gal!  Time owned: more than 12 months
You know I'd love to have a $10K Alpha but when all is said and done legal limit isn't even going to give me 10dB over the SB-200. Probably closer to 6dB. Band conditions and antennas make much larger differences.

Plus tuning this is fun as I'm a hands on type of guy. I have no trouble using it on 12 and 17 either. I bought mine with soft start and the Harbach PS installed. Mine also has a bypass switch incorporated into the gain control (lower right)

A good working example is around $300 give or take these days. I'm sure many people got them years ago for much less.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old AMP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi Guys, Fred in UK, i was given this Heathkit SB 200, so i could afford to spend a bit of money on it, So i got on to Harbach electronics USA Limited, and ordered a New modified Fan and Motor, a soft start kit, power supply board, new modified tx relay, a soft key kit, to be able to key it from modern day rigs without a relay, and i got 2 new tubes/valves, 572B's in England, prob Chinese, i gave it a good clean up, done a few adjustments, and it works fine, legal limit in England at moment is 400w ssb output, and i can get that on all bands, it will work on the warc bands to certain degree, cost about 200 for parts..73 Fred.