Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit SB-200 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB-200
Heathkit SB-200 Reviews: 75 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Original Price $400
Description: HF Amp using two 572B's, 80 - 10 meters

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB-200.

KD2ACO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Bargain!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine needed a complete rebuild. The original Cetron tubes, PS transformer, and big parts were fine. All the little stuff has been changed (Harbach boards and my own mods). 60 watts drives it to full power. The amp is easy to use and powerful. I'm getting great reports and the Tek spectrum analyzer says that everything is clean. Within it's limitations, this amp is a winner for sure. It's all the power amp I need for my shack and the price is right!

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp on the air for a few years now. It s a great, rugged little amp that is a workhorse. I highly reccomend putting in the harbach mods, mine has all of them. While I don't have original cetrons, the chinese tubes do ok. Mine is still in the original heathkit green (the color is great and classic heathkit!). For the price it is a really great value... inexpensive and reliable. It gives you a nice edge if / when you need it. I don't usually run more than 500-550 watts (that seems to be plenty).

AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Old reliable   Time owned: more than 12 months
Putting aside the fact that this amp does not have 160m and the color scheme leaves a lot to be desired, this is a great amp.

My SB-200 was a birthday present from my mom (K9TP) and dad (W9LE) and while that might color the review a bit, the amp really is wonderful for what it is. Mine still has all the original parts and tubes and I never give it a second thought. I consistently get 700w on 80m and 550w on 10m.

The only huge gripes I have are no 160m, and the amp isn't the smoothest to tune I have ever tried. Other than that, the SB-200, properly maintained will last you a lifetime.

W5PD Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first Amplifier. Purchased, built, and put in service in July 1973. Used for 14 years until I purchased an LK-550 in 1987. Stored the SB-200 until July 2013 when I put it back in service. Because of the age of the unit and since it had been stored for over 25yr, I did the Harbach power supply board, soft start kit, soft key kit and a new relay. Unit works great. Still gets about 700w PEP output (alpha 4510 wattmeter) on 20m and is still using the original tubes. Very easy to tune. Looks like it is time to put the LK-550 up for sale.

NM5M Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2013 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my SB200 on Craigslist for $200. I would not recommend paying much more if the PS board has not been replaced.

The amp was very dirty, probably had been sitting in a barn for a few years as it was covered in red dirt/dust. I cleaned the amp thoroughly and installed the Harbach power supply board. Got very lucky as the tubes and power transformer were both good. Turned on the amp, and 40 to 50 w drive yielded 400 watts output. First qso was with JT5DX on 20m.

W3SQE Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Great 'ol gal!  Time owned: more than 12 months
You know I'd love to have a $10K Alpha but when all is said and done legal limit isn't even going to give me 10dB over the SB-200. Probably closer to 6dB. Band conditions and antennas make much larger differences.

Plus tuning this is fun as I'm a hands on type of guy. I have no trouble using it on 12 and 17 either. I bought mine with soft start and the Harbach PS installed. Mine also has a bypass switch incorporated into the gain control (lower right)

A good working example is around $300 give or take these days. I'm sure many people got them years ago for much less.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old AMP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi Guys, Fred in UK, i was given this Heathkit SB 200, so i could afford to spend a bit of money on it, So i got on to Harbach electronics USA Limited, and ordered a New modified Fan and Motor, a soft start kit, power supply board, new modified tx relay, a soft key kit, to be able to key it from modern day rigs without a relay, and i got 2 new tubes/valves, 572B's in England, prob Chinese, i gave it a good clean up, done a few adjustments, and it works fine, legal limit in England at moment is 400w ssb output, and i can get that on all bands, it will work on the warc bands to certain degree, cost about 200 for parts..73 Fred.

AH6OY Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2012 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Instant on, tuning doesn't have sharp swings and if you live in a winter wonderland it helps heat the shack.

The newer (during late 90's) Svetlana 572 tubes need the warning for the SB-200 to be heeded. My experience was tuning for max power I thought I had a problem when the power read around 800+. I checked to see amps being pulled then it blew a flame proof resistor like a gunshot. Best to not hit it with 100 watts using the newer tubes.

All in all fantastic amp for instant on get the dx.
In the 90's at least one man was making great drop in HV power supplies for the amp.

4S7NS Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 21:07 Send this review to a friend
A GRAN OLD LADY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using a SB 200 AMPLIFIER WITH THE HARBACH MODIFICATIONS REVAMPED AND IT IS A GEM.20M IS SO EASY ON THE LONG PATH TO THE EAST COAST FROM SRILANKA BEAMING OVER VK ZL ANTARTICA AND UP ALONG THE GREY LINE OFTEN, 57 REPORTS FROM THE EASTERN STATES USING 400 WATTS INTO A CUSHCRAFT, REPORTS SAY CRYSTAL CLEAR AUDIO. ITS SO EASY TO TUNE THE SB200 IS AMONG THE FINEST I ITS CLASS

K3IT Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 13:55 Send this review to a friend
worth three times its price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very happy to add a few more dBs after making about 6k QSOs on a bare rig. There is a lot of information about this amp and replacement parts are easy to find. Mine had a few "worn-out" (lower capacitance) silver mica caps. This is a common issue, easily fixed.

here are some skimmer reports with sb-200 (17) and a bare rig (15). Notice the change in "perceived" dBs (the true gain is less than 10dB, probably 7 or so)

V51YJ K3IT 7015.4 CQ [LoTW] 8 dB 28 wpm 0336z 11 Mar