Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BCD536HP Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BCD536HP
Uniden BCD536HP Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $599
Description: Mobile Trunktracker V scanner. Does Motorola, EDACS, LTR.
APCO P25 Phase I AND Phase II. MicroSD card has entire USA
and Canada database. Favorite lists can also be programmed
through Uniden Sentinel Software.
More info: http://www.uniden.com/scanners/uniden-bcd536hp-homepatrol-series-digital-mobile-scanner-with-wifi/invt/bcd536hpg

You can write your own review of the Uniden BCD536HP .

KC2FYA Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2017 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Good for Ham Radio & SKYWARN.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 536HP for a week now, my previous scanner was the BCT-15X which I feel is similar to the 536HP in field programming. I was able to start scanning right out of the box. I opted to get unit programmed by Bearcat Warehouse for my area and it is well worth it. Having the whole USA & Canada Database is good as well. I also opted to get the DMR and Pro-Voice upgrades.

I don't have a computer yet, so I was able to add frequencies with little problem other than time consumption. Once I realized the structure of the "Favorites Lists" and the features, it was simple enough. It picks up the digital and analog very well. I like how it displays so much information on one screen. I choose to not enable the 3-line display for some information is lost.

The scanner is solid in construction and design. I am using it as a base unit with the indoor antenna and it picks up quite well. I set my priority frequencies and WX Alert with no problem.

I will evaluate further and advise. I am very pleased so far.

K4NUC Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2017 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think it's a great scanner. It takes some getting used to,but not that hard to figure out. There are lots of you-tube videos that help. I bought the gps adapter for it and it worked flawlessly on a recent trip l took. I set the range to zero and the scanner automatically loaded frequencies from the database as I went from one area to another. I also used the close call priority feature and the scanner stopped on every close by frequency hit, mostly construction and state troopers signals. If the scanner stopped on a tone or something I didn't want to hear I just hit the avoid button and it temporarily avoids it until a power recycle. Nice. I can't say I am that pleased with the wifi app, but hopefully that will improve. I also paid for the DMR update, it installed easily and now the scanner stops on DMR signals. Next, I guess I'll get the pro-voice update. For the price of the scanner you would think that they should be included. All in all 4plus from me. I am contemplating getting the 436 handheld also.

N7JS Rating: 2/5 Jan 16, 2017 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy it for the Wifi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As far as the scanner, it's a great scanner. Easy and simple. Does what it says until you use the Wifi feature with the horrible software Uniden has called Siren. You can't use Siren outside of your local network (LAN). That's half the point! The audio constantly drops. It often will not connect correctly (shows status without audio or vice versa) or it just won't connect at all. Having it stay connected...good luck. Honestly, if you are buying this for the wifi feature, you would be much better off just using a wireless speaker in your home. I'm giving this a 2, not because of the scanner but because Uniden should not even advertise or offer this feature (which is I purchased it) until they have a good in-house software they provide.

N1FM Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Not for the weak  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 536 for a year now..on the air three minutes and programmed with my community by simply typing in my zip code. Uniden finally came out with Siren for Android so the wifi works great while am sitting on the porch and controlling the unit with my tab/phone.The software is a breeze.. Log on, check for firmware updates, do the once a week database update and all done.. that simple.. I did the DMR upgrade and that opened up a whole new world of listening..I will wait on the provoice since no one is active in my area yet. De N1FM

W5KVA Rating: 3/5 Jun 18, 2016 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Would be great but....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The SD write/read does not remember hold settings for the system and department which I've left the scanner on when I shut it off. It clearly displays "writing to SD card" when I shut it down but when I power the scanner back up (with the supplied AC/DC adapter left plugged in) the scanner will boot-up with my saved settings only 75% of the time, meaning at every third or fourth boot-up the scanner will end up back to scanning the entire data base, ie, all systems, all departments, etc. In my case all I want from this machine is to be able to have it boot-up reliably on one system and one department which I've selected and left on "hold". I've tried two NIB units and both of them have this same characteristic. When I called Uniden tech support on this issue they verified there is something wrong with the operation of the scanner. When they solve this issue I would rate this model scanner at a 4 (good), and if they add the ability for the function knob to be able to scroll through the systems and departments while the unit is on "hold" I would then rate the scanner at a 5 (great) for my needs.

FORMER_K2OOL Rating: 0/5 May 24, 2016 14:02 Send this review to a friend
BCD-536HP 2nd one just as bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I borrowed a friend's BCD-536hp and forgot how bad this thing was.I wouldnt sell this thing to a friend even for $600.He bought it on his own and he wanted me to program it.I had tried to like this scanner twice with no results.Air band and 440MHZ ,the reception is horrible and hard to hear with built in speaker.I live near Teterboro,Newark,JFK,and Essex County Airport and it is brutal!I will hold onto my Pro-668 Radio Shack until Uniden steps up and makes a better radio!This was updated too!So sory Uniden,you need to address this scanner.

KB1VXP Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2016 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Uniden BCD536HP Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very happy with this BCD536HP scanner. Easy to use. Unbox it, put in your zip code and you are ready to go. I could not believe the reception I was getting just using the included telescopic antenna with the scanner located in my basement! It pulled in stations 20-30 miles away without problem. I eventually put up an inexpensive discone antenna in my attic and the performance is absolutely astonishing. I am using the WiFi feature so I can listen on my iphone/ipad. This is a great feature and the main reason why I bought this scanner as opposed to any other. Overall, I am very happy with this.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2015 14:23 Send this review to a friend
This is the one!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this scanner. As it states, the Homepatrol interface works like a charm. And, for those who wish to do manual programing it is ready for that as well. I think this radio has a very good front end as it receives very nicely. The audio and speaker quality are quite good. The display is also very clear/sharp. There are many adjustments that can be made if one desires. There are very good videos for this scanner on both the Uniden web site and Youtube.

Well done Uniden!!

KB6KGX Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2015 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Works as expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Despite what some of the earlier reviews have said, I’ve found that the BCD536HP is everything it was advertised to be.

What impressed me the most, when saw it for the first time at my local HRO, was 1) the awesome audio quality and 2) the ease of initial setup. It took literally less than 30 seconds to punch in a zip code and be up and scanning.

Yes, it’s a “Home Patrol” interface, and even though you can be scanning within two minutes of taking it out of the box, tweaking and customizing it to your specifications is going to take a bit of time. But once you’ve got it the way you want it, you’ll agree that it’s worth every penny. Yes, it’s pricey compared to the new BCD996P2, but there are two reasons why I chose it over the “P2”: 1) larger, easier to read display and 2) WiFi.

Since the most recent review, prior to this one, was four months earlier, and the “Siren” app was not yet out, I’d like to comment on that.

It took literally less than two minutes to plug in the WiFi dongle and configure the scanner to communicate with my wireless router in the house. Immediately, my iPhone display resembled the HP-1. Most (I don’t know about “all”) of the standard “HP-1” functions are accessible on the iPhone. The other day, I was sitting on my couch listening to the local PD on my iPhone, with the scanner in another part of the house. Wow. That’s what it’s all about.

It also works in the car as a “remote head”, of sorts. The scanner, with the WiFi dongle allows you to do the same that you can in the home, but in your car.

There is only one thing it can’t do. Adjusting the volume on the iPhone does not change the volume on the scanner, and vice versa. Both are independent of the other. In the home, I turned the scanner volume all the way to “0” (so the sound wouldn’t bother my wife) and I was listening on the iPhone two rooms away. In the car, you’d want to “mute” the iPhone, and turn up the volume on the scanner.

I’m using it with the Larsen 150/450/800 triband scanner antenna which, amazingly enough, works just great on VHF-Lo (for California Highway Patrol on 42 Mhz).

Audio level is one thing that needs to be adjusted. Digital audio tends to be significantly louder than Analog audio. Fortunately, Sentinel software allows each channel to be independently adjusted up or down so the volume can be equalized across all channels. Naturally, that will take some time to set up, if you have a lot of frequencies entered.

Bottom line, in my opinion, excellent scanner, the best on the market today.

VE9DAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2015 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Scanner use from a Ham Radio perspective.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this scanner along with Sentinel software (to program frequencies I want to hear) and ProScan (to allow me to log every hit, and to see a larger display). I had the unit scanning within minutes of unpacking it.

After going through a learning curve, and getting to recognize Unidens' terminology, I find it very easy (after a month of use) to configure the unit to do exactly what I want.

It checks WWV on 25 MHz, 10M SSTV, 10M FM frequencies, 6M calling frequencies, 6M SSTV, FM Broadcast stations (mono), the various 2M repeaters, ISS, 440 MHz (nothing in this location), and of course all the aeronautical, military, police, fire, hospital, snow plows, and business frequencies in between, both digital and analogue, but not SSB.

The unit scans very fast, with clean, clear audio. I would seldom check 10M or 6M during my normal rig use, so this gem informs me when there is activity up there, and also when the 2M nets are running or when my buddies are on.

Apparently it is easy to tie into the discriminator as well. I haven't done it yet, but the internet says even the circuit board has 'DISC' printed on it at the correct location. I will try that eventually to see if I can decode ADSb up on 1090 MHz.

If the unit locks onto a frequency that I choose not to listen to, then I hit one button to "AVOID" it, or hit 2 buttons to skip over all of 10M say. Very good indeed. It is quite a radio.

I give this product a 5/5. It does exactly what I want it to, quickly, with nice audio. To date I have yet to explore the many other features it has ... search a range of frequencies, many fire related features, weather alerts, and the list goes on. I highly recommend it for any ham shack.