Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BCD536HP Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BCD536HP
Uniden BCD536HP Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $599
Description: Mobile Trunktracker V scanner. Does Motorola, EDACS, LTR.
APCO P25 Phase I AND Phase II. MicroSD card has entire USA
and Canada database. Favorite lists can also be programmed
through Uniden Sentinel Software.
More info: http://www.uniden.com/scanners/uniden-bcd536hp-homepatrol-series-digital-mobile-scanner-with-wifi/invt/bcd536hpg

You can write your own review of the Uniden BCD536HP .

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2015 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Scanner!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay, It is true, the band scope and the Wifi App are not released yet.

However.... to read some reviews in here, you'd think the scanner does not even work. Sheesh!

I have owned mine now for almost a month and I must say, I am more than pleased with it.

Many of the problems that are described here, the screen issues and the headphone issue, were in the early releases of this scanner. I have had mine on continuously, except when I have left the house; which is not very often at all --- and it is still plugging along, just fine.

I won't lie about it, the Sentinel software and the Favorite lists is a bit of a learning curve. But, once you get the hang of everything, it is easy to get it up and running.

I love the thing and I will use it for a very long time. If you are thinking about getting one, do it. You won't regret it. This was my first scanner and my last! I love it!

KC9WVK Rating: 2/5 Sep 6, 2014 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your $$$, Buy an AOR or something.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the unit less than a month after its release. I loved the advertised features and that was the deciding factor on buying this unit rather then one of the other models available. I was a bit upset to find that an Band scope and WIFI and some other features where advertised and listed as coming with the unit and after hooking it up and updating everything I find out all of the features that made me decide on this unit (with the exception of 700MHz coverage) where not even available nor was the remote control WIFI app.
It is now almost one year after release and still no app, no WIFI connectivity, and no Band scope. TO top it off after only one month of almost continuous use the Nice bright back lit display has faded almost one full brightness setting, not to mention Uniden admitted to using cheap components after the fact with an early on issue with the headphone jack on the front face.
Also the internal speaker is trash, it cannot even reproduce the local Fire Paging tones without cutting in and out and being garbled. Another thing I have noticed with the unit is it tends to lock onto a Talk Group ID at times even there has been not transmission on it I have tried squelch adjustments with no luck.

IF I find anything more before I decide to sell it and buy an AOR receiver or something more “professional” I will try to update here.

FORMER_K2OOL Rating: 0/5 Aug 9, 2014 13:07 Send this review to a friend
BCD-536HP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was the worst scanner I ever had.The speaker is mounted low inside the case and the case is covered by another case oddly the BCD-996XT is like this too but Uniden didn't recess the 996XT's speaker or put a spacer like they did on the 536HP.It scans right past things I knew were active transmissions you even see the signal bars as full!
The Phase 2 is even more bassy and muddy and hard to understand.Air band receive is worthless I couldnt understand what they were saying.This needs receive tweaks and firmware updates big time!Its just not clear as a bell like the 996XT.
At the time I used the latest firmware....
Even 400MHZ receive was poor.I have a base antenna I used the same antenna with the BCD-996xt.If you want a good scanner get the BCD-996xt! Yes you lose the built in database but it is useable. The 436HP is not as bad still not an XT series.The other stupid thing Uniden did was get rid of normal scanning and stuck with the home patrol way of scanning which goes very slow.
Its like chug chug chug Stop.chug chug chug.Search on the HP series seems worthless since everything is Trunked and it does not have control channel search like the BCD-996T,996XT.
So seriously what are you going to find?Why search?You also lose service search!Like HAM,CB,FRS,PUBLIC SERVUCE,MARINE all gone on this radio.You are stuck with custom search only.The 996XT had both.Big money radio that basically is a huge step down.I like the 436HP a little more but its not as clear and sharp as a GRE scanner or the BCD-396XT.

W0AJA Rating: 3/5 Aug 3, 2014 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Good, But Not Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this scanner (Due to an unpreventable lightning strike to my BCT15X and since our feed followers donated the money for it) which I got from HRO.

The scanner is pretty heavy, feels like a tank! The accessories they gave was awesome! I got a free programming cable and such, which I cannot complain. But what i can complain is how 1.) The app is not even released yet, and with no ETA, to remotely control the scanner. 2.) The WiFi drops when not using a public SSID 3.) There is no "Recording" port dedicated for 3.5mm which I was told when I called their customer support (Which took over 2-1/2 hours to talk with someone)

I would suggest not paying over $400 for this scanner, but since I got it practically free it is awesome!

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2014 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Review #2  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After a couple more months in the car I am happy to report this scanner has exceeded my expectations. My scanner is now basically set it and forget it. I have 50 favorite lists, all turned on, and using GPS. I travel frequently, and I have yet to have to adjust the scanner.

KE4AH Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2014 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The scanner itself rates a 5 but I gave it a 4 due to reasons I will get into shortly. Using the "Sentinel" software that you can download free from Uniden, programming the scanner was a breeze. You don't even have to buy a subscription from RadioReference.com to download the database to Sentinel. When it arrived, I set everything up as prompted by the scanner when I powered it up for the first time, including my zip code. I started hearing agencies from 50+ miles away using my Antennacraft scanner antenna I bought from Amazon.com. The antenna is mounted 25 feet in the air. I then hooked it up to my computer using the included USB cable. After making sure the firmware was updated, I updated the database for the whole United States and Canada. I then set up my favorites list and downloaded the data to the 536HP and I heard everything I had heard previously on my 996XT PLUS P25 Phase II digital. In some instances, the 536HP is more sensitive than my 996XT was but not much. The 536HP does a bunch of stuff. The enclosed manual is helpful but, I really have learned most of what I know know from the forums at RadioReference.com. Unless you just want to, you won't need a subscription to RR.com as Uniden and RR have an arraignment that allows you to download the full database from them free.
Now, the reason for the 4 rating. The scanner's analyze feature along with the advertised WiFi feature do not work yet. Uniden is having issues with getting the WiFi to work with the App "Siren" that allows you to use your smart phone to control and listen to the scanner. They still advertise the WiFi feature but Siren has not been released yet. I learned about this on the RR forums. It did not keep me from purchasing the scanner due to the ability to receive and decode P25 Phase II. Uniden says it, the analyze feature along with other"unmentioned" features the Scanner will do in the future, will happen. When? Who knows. Since I believe I will have to go through the GPS serial port on the back, I will probably have to purchase a serial to USB adapter in order to use the virtual feature of software such as Proscan (due to be released by the end of May). The front USB port is only used for programming from what I understand. The audio through a small external speaker is excellent. The scanner comes with a micro SD card with the full US and Canada database on it but, as I said, you will need to update it weekly using the Sentinel software. I bought an extra micro SD card to use as backup and Sentinel allows me to plug it into the SD slot on my computer so I can make a backup of my database and favorites in case the card in the radio fails. I really enjoy the 536HP. It does an excellent job during band openings too. I have heard Birmingham's 800mhz P25 digital trunking system from 60 miles away here in NW Alabama. Finally, I got mine from HRO and did not have to pay shipping. That saved a few bucks.