Reviews Categories | Electron Tubes | Taylor 572B triode transmitting tube Help

Reviews Summary for Taylor 572B triode transmitting tube
Taylor 572B triode transmitting tube Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $99.90 matched pair
Description: The modern TAYLOR 572B is virtually an exact copy of the original TAYLOR 572B/T160L tube. TAYLOR is the preferred choice for FL2100, SB200/SB201, 10-160L, 30L1, etc. Base indexed and internal structure aligned and supported for both horizontal and vertical operation. Each 572B TAYLOR tube is fully tested by RF Parts prior to shipment, and includes 1 Year Limited Warranty against manufacturing defects and workmanship.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/572b.html

You can write your own review of the Taylor 572B triode transmitting tube.

N4CND Rating: 0/5 Dec 27, 2013 21:58 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a pair for a sb 200 ran them on 20 meters into a resonate antenna with 50 watts of drive and they lasted 3 weeks and died. So I heard other guys where having the same problem and I wanted to know what was going on inside the tube. So I took it apart and found a black film on the inside of the plate. I had some china tubes laying around that where doing the same thing so guess what I found; the same problem. I found that same black film in the PRC 572b and other china 572b tubes. The Graphite they use to make the plate has impurities in it to cause the black film which interferes with the flow or electrons to plate and causes a mismatch between the radio and amplifier. which causes the tube not to amplify.

K4FLH Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 08:49 Send this review to a friend
No problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is not a lick of difference, electronically, between the Taylor labeled 572B and the generic tubes from Shuguang. The only "difference" is when they stop the production line to change the silk screen stencil from what ever they are labeling to the Taylor imprint.
Shuguang was originally established on December 26, 1965 to make electronic components for the Red Army.
They are better known now for there popular brand names of LG and Phillips Electronics.
Shuguang is located just north of Guangdong province (if you don't know where Guangdong is, it is at the very southern tip of mainland China. (Hong Kong )

Shuguang is a group company, including 5 plants, 14 subsidiaries, 3 joint-ventures, 5 property holding companies plus a hospital, school, and of course kindergarten as well. The group employs over 6,000 employees and currently is still state owned. However, today's state-owned-entities (SOE) are quite different from what they were 25 years ago - now management is westernized .
I run the Shuguang generic 572B's in my Yaesu 2100B with very satisfactory results. I don't "tune" constantly as some do which will shorten the life of any tube faster than anything.. I also watch the input as not to feed the beast to much.
I have had very good results with these in other amps I've owned/ repaired. Only once have I gotten a dud. That was handled in a very satisfactory manner with overnight service!
A word on "factory direct".
Many online Shuguang tube sellers claim they are "factory direct" whether they are indeed and whether the products are the screened leftovers from export batches are really unknown to any buyers. China's supply chain is a huge puzzle for any outsiders, so to make things simple, my principal of sourcing is: call up the factory.

KK4IBG Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2012 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Tubes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a matched pair from RF Parts and they failed right away. I called RF parts and talked to a tech and he sent me another set right away and a label to send the bad ones back. in comparison to the old Certron's that have been running they seem to be just as good. the first set almost damaged my radio and amp so I am very lucky I cought it when I did.

I bought a Yaesu FL-2100 that had the original Centron 572Bs still installed and those babys are fantastic!!
So I will keep the cetrons in their boxes for another date. The darn things are like gold.
I do recommend them but be very careful.

N8EHW Rating: 2/5 Mar 9, 2012 15:26 Send this review to a friend
So far not impressed.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a matched pair from RF Parts in April of 2011. After giving them a brief lookover they went back in the box and into the spares bin. On February 11'th of 2012 I finally decided to install them in my SB200 to see what they would do in comparison to the old Certron's that have been running there for many years.
They ran fine for exactly one week, then failure. The filaments in one tube opened up.

RF Parts replaced them with a new set that I immediately installed in the amp. I hope they get a lot more TX time than the first set. The point is - check them out right away. The one year warranty is only good if you catch them failing within that period.

NJ3U Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2011 08:13 Send this review to a friend
RFParts 572Bs Working Fine in my FL-2100  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last year I bought a Yaesu FL-2100 that had the original Centron 572Bs still installed. During the reinstallation of the tubes, the anode cap and lead decided to part ways. Judging from the level of deterioration I would say it could have happened either before or after the amp arrived at my QTH.

Ordered a pair of the Taylor 572B's and have been getting 550-600 watts on 20 & 40 meters, so no complaints.

It was interesting to see the Red Taylor markings on the tube wipe off when I was cleaning the tubes with an wiper !

So given that price was reasonable and the amp is happy so am I.

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Work Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use 3 of these in my Ameritron 811. They never casuse any problems and deliver rated output.

K1LEM Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2009 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Warning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ordered four matched Yaylor 572 B for the Ameritron AL 572. I agree with some posters, these tubes ain't what they used to be.

I purchased the Ameritron less than six months ago. It came supplied with four Sevetlana bottles.
At first fire up a TUBE GAS ARC causing at least four solid state bias componets and the cathode fusable resistor to blow.

Finally go a replacement, but had no guarantee the replacement was a match for the other three.
Never could get the rated 1300 watts even with a full load voltage of 2600 volts at full carrier.
In fact voltage on side band dropped no lower than 2800 volts. Still unable to meet specification.

Finally one tube must have failed, since I can barely make 850 watts on 75 meters.
This is with probably only a few hundred hours on the tubes.

I am aware of the poor solder bonding with Taylors and if you attempt to remove the plate cap, the whole anode comes away in your hands.

Things are NOT as the used to be.

N6NKN Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2009 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Back To Full Power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed a matched set of these tubes from RF parts in my Dentron Clipperton L. Had to wait six months for delivery but I'm now back to 1000 watts plus on 120 volts. I replaced the original Dentron branded tubes, so I have no complaints whatsoever. I have no idea how long these tubes will last, but for now, I'm a happy camper.

( Price was good too.)

Rick N6NKN

K1DT Rating: 2/5 Oct 8, 2008 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
"They just don't make 'em like they used to" - how true. Can't single out RF Parts, the 572Bs coming out of China are all poor quality, no matter what name is on them. They just shouldn't charge what they do considering the short life expectancy. The plate cap welds let go on 2 out of 3 tubes in a little AL-811 amp that's seen two years of occasional light CW duty. I wondered where my power went! Upon inspection, the plate cap wire-welds were completely burnt. I am guessing the IR loss of the poorly made connections cause them to heat and fail. Yet one of the tubes is still perfect, like the day I got them; a testament to the variance due to poor or non-existent manufacturing QC. I am back to using 3 old used RCA 811As from flea markets which work just fine.

NN4E Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2008 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Total waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 572B "Taylor" tubes sold by RF Parts are generic chinese tubes, often found on ebay for around $50. The only thing that makes those tubes "Taylor" brand is the stamped red logo on the glass envelope. I tried to clean the tube from fingerprints with alcohol and it wiped the tube clean - literaly. The "Taylor" logo and some smudged printing, which I wasnt able to read in first place came right off with the alcohol. The clean tube is virtually indistinguishable from the low cost chinese tubes. They are exact down to every small detail. RF prats claims that the tubes are an "exact mechanical and electrical copy" of the Centron tubes - they are not! There are many obvious mechanical differences when compared with Centron - starting from the shape of the glass envelope itself and finishing with the internal part. Even the Anode cap is smaller and I had to adjust the clamps on my amp for good electrical contact. The clamps (which fit perfectly on the Centron) were siliding off the "Taylor" tubes.
In other words - the extra 20-30-40 dollars are absolute waste of the money There is no added value in the "Taylor" tubes - especially not after wiping them with alcohol. They are priced higher and the RF Parts web site leaves the impression that you are going to get a higher quality tube which in fact is not the case - even the electrical performance is the same.