Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1787 Loop antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1787 Loop antenna
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Semi-Portable Magnetic Loop Antenna

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1787 Loop antenna.

KQ4FM Rating: 2/5 Apr 13, 2014 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Not very durable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While this antenna, as most other Magnetic Loops, seems to transmit and receive quite well, its lack of durability comes into focus very quickly.

My controller had numerous internal loose electrical and mechanical connections right out of the box I had to repair before trying it out. Almost immediately, the two internal AA plastic battery holders snapped off at their electrical connections. This rendered them useless and I had to rely on wall wart power.

The actual loop portion of the antenna is also very flimsy and poorky constructed. Do not even think of mounting it outside on a permanent basis. At any height above 6 feet, moderate winds can destroy its electrical and mechanical connections. Moisture also corrodes some of the internal components.

The remote tuning feature is wonderful as long as it operates. IThe antenna tunes smoothly and rapidly once one gets the procudure down. Unfortunately, the mechanical connections between the motor shaft and the large variable capacitor are not robust enough to be reliable for over a month or so.

The loop itself is indeed heavy duty aluminum and the losses so common in magnet loop antenna are mitigated by nice aluminum welds anywhere the loop joins the capacitor.

As mechanical connections continue to plague the loop, my rating drops drastically. Any of my attempts at repair of this thing ended up in further damage and frustration. For instance, the large tuning capacitor's aluminum shaft was so soft that trying to repair it with a coupling ended up in destroying it

Now for the GOOD stuff... While short lived (maybe 30 days), I was extremely pleased with the contacts I made with this antenna. Even on 40 meters, I was able to talk with anyone I could hear most of the time. This alone made me a believer in Magnetic Loop antennas, so much so that I have been building my own Loops.

While desiginig a robust remote control mechanism still eludes me, the magic of Magnetic Loops contines to hold my interest. My suggestion though is to resist the urge to by this particular model. I imagine that most of these that sold ended up in a pile of junk in garages across the world. I can attest, however, that they can bring in about two dollars from a scrap metal dealer.