Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1516 Pulsar VHF Base Station Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1516 Pulsar VHF Base Station
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $$99.95
Description: The MFJ-1516 Pulsar VHF Base Station. This is the ultimate 2
Meter Base/Repeater Station antenna! Great 7.8 dB gain is
perfect for dedicated repeater or home use. 15 feet shipped
in three sections. SO-239 Connector, handles 200 Watts.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1516

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1516 Pulsar VHF Base Station.

N9IXX Rating: 1/5 Apr 18, 2014 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing at best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After searching all over for some sort of review on this antenna I could find none, so I decided to take the plunge on this antenna. After all how bad could it be? I figured hey if it only lasts 2 years or so for $99.00 I could live with that. I will start with the construction which is well below that of the Diamond type quality of antennas. While trying to tighten the sections together the glue that held the sleeves broke loose. Well no matter as I was taping the joints anyway. The mast clamps do not have enough thread to secure it to anything smaller than a 2" mast unless you use a lot of washers. I could live with all that. After all I wasn't expecting it to last more than a couple years anyway, however here is where it really goes south. The performance is just bad. Period. The SWR was as advertised which was less than 1.5-1 from 144-148mhz. This confused me because it measured a minimum of 3 S units less than my good old 1/2 wave end feed AR-2 ringo. Yes really, couldn't believe it myself, but they were mounted at the same height (25') with 60' between them as I switched back and forth between them (no switch just disconnect and reconnect cables). Now lest you think ahh he must not have assembled it correctly eeehh! Wrong answer. Followed directions to a tee and after 1000's of antenna assembly /installs over the past 35 years of all sorts (including professionally) it is just a really crappy antenna. Now I know why there were no reviews of this antenna, either everyone was smarter than me and figured they would spend the extra $40 and just get the Diamond, or no one wants to admit to being stupid enough to buying this thing! Suppose I could have had a bad one, but with a good SWR reading across the band it was performing correctly just has no gain period. There ya go if you were wondering as I was how bad could it be? You now have your answer.

Now I have to spend the extra $40 plus another $100 to get the Diamond anyway. What a waste of time money and effort!

Anyone want to buy a slightly used MFJ 1516 antenna?

73's