Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Wellbrook ALA330S Help

Reviews Summary for Wellbrook ALA330S
Wellbrook ALA330S Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $420
Description: 3MHz-30MHz 1.1m dia. Aluminium Loop
The Wellbrook ALA 330S directional Loop antenna for short wave.
The design of this new loop is now based on the ALA1530S+ Imperium.
The loop Head Amplifier now has lower IMD in the MW AM band.
Unique 2 transformer Norton amplifier with higher HF gain is now fitted in the Antenna Interface.
MW OIP3 has been increased to +55dBm; thus giving this active antenna one of the highest third order intercept points in its class. Also the MW OIP2 has been improved to +90dBm.
This new antenna offers high HF gain with low Intermodulation.
An FM band filter is now fitted. A resettable fuse is now fitted to the Antenna Interface.
The ALA 330S is designed especially for HF listening whilst providing usable reception for the LW and MW listener. A unique feature of this loop is reduced receiver overload with high power MW signals.
More info: http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/antennashop/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=46

You can write your own review of the Wellbrook ALA330S.

WB4RTP Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Good loop for HF RX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the ALA330S version which has lower gain than the LF1530S+ for LF-MW since I primarily wanted to improve HF reception. I mounted it on a 10-foot mast on the far corner of my carport to get it further away from potential noise sources in the house, so it is about 20 feet above ground level. I followed the advice in the manual about adding additional support for windy locations, and this took several hours of effort putting together a mount using PVC pipe and adapters. The mount that comes with the ALA 330S is not compatible with common 1.25" TV mast hardware, so that took some extra thought and effort, but I think I have a fairly robust mount.

I am pleased with the performance. Compared to reception on my S9 31v (mounted as a ground plane on the roof of my house), the ALA 330S typically has lower noise and stronger signal. This is most dramatic on 20m, less so on other bands. I haven't spent time assessing the depth of the pattern null that is supposed to be there. I mounted it on an NTE U-105 rotator with the NTE TB-105 thrust bearing. The TB-105 really makes the U-105 considerably more robust (and still inexpensive), and may be overkill for the ALA 330S (at least I hope so, my location can get some stiff winds).