Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-920 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-920
Yaesu FT-920 Reviews: 172 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2299
Description: Yaesu FT 920 HF/6M Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-920.

KI4FQZ Rating: 1/5 Sep 16, 2016 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu's Shameful Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT 920 is an extremely ergonomic and physically attractive rig packed with excellent features. Also exceedingly simple to operate, and capable of excellent audio quality and most definitely a nice hot receive with very discerning audio with an undoubtedly smooth quality. Very pleasant to listen to. And with it's automatic antenna tuner which operates flawlessly, it creates a wonderful experience for the seasoned and new ham alike.
Now the bad news. At the rather pricey purchase cost, and all it's technological features, I believe Yaesu should be ASHAMED to have built such a beautiful rig with the intention of making it completely disposable. The processor section of the rig is no longer available, and Yaesu no longer supports the rig at all.For a beautiful rig of this caliber, it is absolutely shameful that if one encounters a bad processor that they must just "throw it away" and purchase another Yaesu product that they hope will not follow suit. I have since purchased a Kenwood 950 SDX....who's is actually still supported. Again...a shame. I used to really like Yaesu products until this experience. live, and you learn.
JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2016 06:28 Send this review to a friend
weak signal catcher  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Quiet receiver performs clean and gentle sound on both SSB and CW. Easy and quick controls, big sub-dial provides easy tuning. Quick split operation. NR is effective enough. Digital Band Pass Filter works well in some situation. Strongly recommended radio for all weak-signal seekers.
AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2015 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Back again fourth time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased another FT920 for the fourth time in five years. For some reason I keep coming back to this model. This time I bought a very nice condition fully loaded unit with the inrad roofing filter mod and the switchboard mods for SSB and CW. It also have the AM board. I really liked the rigs I have owned in the past but with these mods it is a really nice performer. For $700, I just couldn't pass it up. My next mod will be to install the RTL SDR for the panadapter and it will be complete. So happy to have one on the desk again. It has so many nice features like autotuner, separate receive antenna, that it is hard to believe that they are so inexpensive. Mine was also calibrated before I received it so it also puts out full power which is sometimes an issue with this model. So far so good. I don't plan to sell this unit ever.
KG4FET Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2015 15:56 Send this review to a friend
great RX'er  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig's been on the bench only a few days, but supplanted the TS2K on day one for HF operation. It came to me as an AF model which was MUCH more then I expected, so has the AM bypass board, FM module, and the 500 CW filter. Yes I am aware the DSP is AF, not IF but this 920 can hear things the 2K can't and it's MUCH easier on the ears. NR works great, takes the annoying summer band noise almost out WITHOUT distorting signals like the 2K. The giant LC/HC knobs are easy to find and with a graphic display of the band pass it's great. Step attenuation is a big plus with 6/12/18db most rigs it's 18 or nothing. Menu system is easy to get around in and you can adjust carrier off sets of both Sidebands and the carrier offset for the Processor too! Only reason I gave it a 4 over a 5 is I am still trying to get the audio out just right and I have not run it on PSK31 yet. There will be a much more comprehensive review in the future.
WB4JJI Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2015 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Add the inrad filter for decent cw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one used to go with my kx3 elecraft from KE7FD(nice guy). I also have a Icom 746 pro. The Yaseu FT-920 with its wider filters sounds really nice. That however could be its downfall. Love to listen to am, bbc, shortwave etc on it. If you like cw get the inrad filter, although it is somewhat expensive it sure make cw a lots easier. It is, however, almost impossible to beat the kx3 in cw.
W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 11:19 Send this review to a friend
One More Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a 920 a short while back after parting with the one I cherished. I know what I come back to this radio. It feels and operates like a base radio should. Each control is velvet smooth, radio is built like a tank, solid and a solid performer. No excessive menu crap to drive you nuts and hey look, an actual Power Control!! Wow. What an novel idea!! The display is so easy to use, lovely to read, and complete in every way. Separate Rcv Antenna port (sweet)! I use this radio on HRD and it runs quite well. I do wish it had additional filter slots but with a 400 hz CW Filter and use of the DSP Lo/Hi cut, you can tune anything out. I never have been a fan of NR, but I use it occassionally in the 920. The NB is absolutely the best I have ever used. It takes the noise out, PERIOD. My other radios which cost $$$ more, can't. PERIOD. Great on 6 meters, fun to use, it is a definite keeper for anyone with a decent shack and wanting either a base or back up radio. It does it all. You won't go wrong for under $1000. I bought a used DSP unit for the radio should mine ever fail (rarely) in order to keep it perking along. Haven't used it yet, probably never will either.

If you want a solid performer, quiet and sensitive receiver, great ergonomical lay out, etc. the 920 is the answer. A great manual too with it.
N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had lots of radios. Kenwoods, Icoms and now Yaesu.

My trusty old Kenwood TS930 bit the dust and so I sold it for parts. I wanted a more modern radio that I can computer control.

I saw the FT920 in the showroom when they were new and I always was impressed with them. When one came up on E-bay, I got it a pretty good price just recently.

It looks and works like new and so far I am impressed with the receive audio and the compliments on my transmit audio are coming in fairly regularly. I am using a Marshall MXL 990 microphone that is highly modified with a new circuit board, the larger capsule and it runs into a Mackie Pro FX8.

I cannot add anything new to the reviews of the 920. All I can say is that if you can pick one up for under $750, then go for it. I highly recommend this radio.
VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2014 03:49 Send this review to a friend
I'll never part with this great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm an SSB only operator [licensed for 28 years] and I've owned this Great Transceiver for around 10 years. I bought it New for $2995 and its still a pleasure to Use. I use most of its SSB features which include DSP. I find I can hear most Contest stations even though some are on the same frequency. The processor works great with the headset I use, and I receive "good audio" reports from DX stations. I also just love the orange digital readout display. Its Very easy on these old eyes, and very easy to read. This radio has a quality feel about it and its very heavy. I had to reinforce My Shelving to handle the weight. I would recommend this radio to anyone looking for a great 2nd hand Radio with quality features. I'd give it a 6 out of 6.. Hi Hi.

DL2DCX Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a very nice rig. I added the 500 Hz CW filter and the FM-unit. Ive had no problems with the 920 until now. I wont replace it with another TRX. Great for rag chewing or even contesting. Digimodes are no problem with an output power of 75 watts.

Marcus, DL2DCX
VK3LBT Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2014 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this radio as a backup on HF, it has now become my main HF radio. I find this unit a pleasure to use and the NR/DSP works very well when the bands are noisy. I found the EQ settings and audio tone required some experimenting but once mastered the tx audio is very pleasing with a high quality. I have found that the best microphone for this radio is (shock, horror ) the Kenwood MC80, with careful setting of the EQ/Tone the audio is very good and I have had numerous stations both within VK and Dx mention the clarity of the audio.

As for the functions and menus I have found them easy to navigate, this is a good radio and it still runs with the big dogs in the pack even after all these years.

Barry VK3LBT