Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3
Cooler KX TM  Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 75 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Model dependant
Description: These hand crafted replacement heatsinks are designed to allow full power use of the KX3. High duty cycle users including digital operators will benefit from reduced incidents of transmitter power roll back due to overheating. Additionally the heatsinks can contribute to overall longer service life from their radios due to reduced internal operating temperatures. Available in two models and in two finishes. Complete information is available on the website.
More info: http://www.ve7fmn.ca

You can write your own review of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3.

W1GO Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2017 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Cooler KX Plus  Time owned: months
First off, excellent responsiveness and overall service offered by Fred. Secondly, product has great form, fit and function. The product is what Fred says it is. Initial testing demonstrates outstanding results that will be quantified, but seeing (operating) is believing. Your KX3 is a significant investment. Now is not the time to save a few bucks buy purchasing a poorly constructed product from a nameless Asian supplier on eBay.

K7AAT Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2017 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Superb Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my heatsink for at least the past two and a half years. The unit just reeks of quality and its function is superb. I have never seen better quality product, support, or attention to minute detail that Fred provides.

VE7JBT Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2017 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Well designed so it works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't live very far from Fred VE7FMN, so I had the added benefit of meeting him when I dropped my radio off at his place of business (that's a grand name for his home), while I was driving though, on the way to someplace else - I told him I'd be back in a few days on my return trip. When I saw my KX3 again I was immediately drawn to the remarkable design and how "cool" (pardon the pun) it looked, attached to the top of the rig. As I use my KX3 mostly away from home, it spends quite a bit of time in my backpack while I'm hiking up to some elevation to operate from - the additional weight is negligible. If you've ever used your KX3 in a hot unshaded area, and operating somewhat continuously, you'll understand the reasons for this heatsink - use the display to see the Power Amplifier temperature rise and see the effectiveness of the cooling provided by Fred's Cooler KX!

WT8P Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2017 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Well engineered, easy to install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been doing a lot of digital mode work on HF, primarily FT8, but when I need a break from its pace, JT-modes. I ordered on a Sunday and received the Cooler KX on a Tuesday. Fred sent me some useful links to the installation guide and a video, but also offered some advice that I use a spudger (guitar pick or plastic card) to ease the double-sided tape off the original heat sink.

The Cooler KX is very well machined and everything lined up well. Even nicer was the use of hex bolts to make a firm fit (and avoid potentially stripping). My KX3 doesn't heat up as quickly and, when it does, cools down much faster than it used to.

VE7GRK Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2016 12:10 Send this review to a friend
An excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I met Fred at the Seaside SEAPAC show and he showed me his product. I bought one and had Fred install it. The detail in the design, the fit to my KX3 are just excellent. It looks like it came directly from Elecraft. It also has a groove built in to allow the fit of the Sidekick cover. I had to have one of the screw holes cleaned by a small tap the Fred recommends due to small paint particles from the original screw that was removed. This was easy to do and the new screws fit perfectly.
I AM SO IMPRESSED! The radio just doesn't get as warm as it used to and there is no power role back happening.
I definitely recommend this if you own a KX3. Fred has worked hard on the design of this great product and his customer service is just excellent.

N8NOE Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2016 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Big Differance..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Have added the Cooler KX heatsink on my KX3 and a big difference in heat exchange. NO more Power backing down like I had issues with. Very good Work and a great add-on to any KX3.

N4UVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2016 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Engineered to work right!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After researching several similar products I was sold on the Cooler KX due to the great information found on the website. The independent testing results are very accurate. I did a before and after test with the new Cooler KX installed on my Elecraft KX3 and the results were impressive! It was very simple to install. I highly recommend contacting Fred, VE7FMN before placing your order to help determine what your needs are. Fred will help you through the whole process to insure you are completely satisfied with his product. Great product with great service!

W3NCR Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2015 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Great product & service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The product is great, and there’s a noticeable difference in internal temperature in the JT modes, which is why I bought it (the Plus). But the real reason Fred gets a five from me is customer service. I had a problem with one of the precision screws threading (a known issue on some KX3s). On a Sunday, Fred was extremely engaged in helping me work through it, multiple emails throughout the day. I was able to chase the threads and deal with the problem pretty easily. After that, the unit took only a few minutes to install. Like Elecraft, Fred clearly cares about his customers and takes pride in the product.

KC9TAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Another Happy Customer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Throughout the whole transaction, Fred provided excellent communication and service.

I was very pleased when I saw the size and quality of the heatsink. Install went nice and smooth; I was even able to save and reuse the thermal tape from the original heatsink.

Overall, I'm another happy customer. I'm glad I bought from Fred.

K7JGM Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2015 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great product, fantastic service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fred and his Cooler KX are incredible! I ran into an issue removing the stock heat sink. I emailed Fred and he came back within an hour giving me a list of options. We resolved the issue. Thumbs up all the way around!