Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3
Cooler KX TM  Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 72 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Model dependant
Description: These hand crafted replacement heatsinks are designed to allow full power use of the KX3. High duty cycle users including digital operators will benefit from reduced incidents of transmitter power roll back due to overheating. Additionally the heatsinks can contribute to overall longer service life from their radios due to reduced internal operating temperatures. Available in two models and in two finishes. Complete information is available on the website.
More info: http://www.ve7fmn.ca

You can write your own review of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3.

VK2LF Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2015 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to lay out the money for this particular heatsink after reading reviews and comparisons. It really seemed the best. After paying for the optioned-up KX3 and then the GEM Side KX sideplates I figured that this was a small outlay.

Fred is a pleasure to deal with and always seems to reply promptly to queries regardless of the time!

It took me about 30 minutes to install the heatsink using due care. I had to use a 4-40 tap to clean out the chassis threads when I found the "try" screw was reluctant to go into one of the threads. The entire job was dead easy.

I'm looking forward to giving the rig some hard work but I anticipate that it will show no sign of overheating (where it has in the past).

The product itself is beautifully made, was well packaged and was shipped immediately my payment was received.

Peter VK2LF

K8CXM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent upgrade for your KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After purchasing a shiny, new KX3, I decided to add an aftermarket heatsink. My KX3 had the newer, better heatsink, but I felt that I needed more if I wanted to run extended periods of JT modes. I put a query out on the Elecraft reflector, but never got back much information on the benefit of Elecraft's newer heatsink. Fred emailed me direct with his opinions on why it might be a good idea to put on a more efficient heatsink. I ordered one of Fred's heatsinks with the 'Dayton' special, installed it Saturday morning, and I am VERY satisfied with the results. Fred offered quick help on a small problem I had removing the old heatsink (two sided sticky tape I didn't know about)very quickly, and on a Saturday morning! Fortunately, by reviewing the build directions from Elecraft (I did NOT do the build)I had already figured this out and I simply pushed on one end of the old heatsink until it popped off. After that, I was done in 10 minutes. Good investment and great product and help and advice from Fred! Thank you, Fred!
Jim ... K8CXM

N8HAM Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The product was easy to install, has allowed 10 watts for extended periods of time. Fred communicates well with his customers. The heat sink arrived quickly and was very well packaged.

VK3AS Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2015 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great addition to the KX3, have been running digital modes at 10 watts with long over without overheating. Great product
VK3AS

HB9JAQ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2015 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely great product, carefully manufactured and backed with first-class service and support by Fred. Installation documentation is very comprehensive and the installation was done in no time. Since I work digital modes exclusively with my KX3 the thermal behaviour of this little rig was annoying and full duty modes were possible at moderate to low power levels only. Especially with narrow signal modes the frequency drift is an issue with the KX3 (even whith the temperature compensation procedure carried out), not only the high temperature of the finals. With Fred's Cooler KX the temperature gradient over time is much smaller and so is the frequency drift and that makes even JT9 QSOs possible. JT65 at full power level works like a charm, even for several QSOs in sequence. The transceiver with this heatsink installed looks like it came out of the factory this way. The product is a *real* enrichment and (for me) eliminates the one and only issue of the KX3: fast rising temp and overheating during transmission... The Cooler KX is an absolute must have for every serious operator working digimodes with the KX3.

K2JB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Product for the KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Elecraft hit a home run with the KX3 with the exception of its heat dissipation capacity. However, the Cooler KX Plus is THE answer to that one issue. Fred, VE7FMN, has a great product. He is 100% spot on in his communication, order confirmation and shipping. Once I made the transaction, he informed me every step of the way. I received it, installed it in and it fits and works perfectly. Fred says what he does and does what he says. All KX3 owners need this product!
Dean ~ K2JB

VE2AKS Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to this little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered mine and received it three days later at the door. Mounted in less than ten minutes without any problem and here we go!

The important part is to take the time to care about not damaging the holes threading... Especially do not jump over the step where you check the mounting holes with the black screw. This latter is identical to the original ones provided by Elecraft, so it it fits the rest should go like a charm... if you try with the stainless screws first (and worse using the wrench) to save some time you can be stuck with a damaged case! Fred is also extremely helpful to make your installation a complete success, the mounting instructions are also very clear.

I am impatient to see the summer and how well it performs outside in the field while transmitting on HF bands. First tests with a dummy load made, it is very promising especially for my PSK operations! Definitely a big improvement on the stock heatsink. I warmly recommend this upgrade,not cheap but quality comes at a price.

My only problem now is to adapt the foam of my KX3 transport case ;-)

M0IAH Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Cooler KX Plus(TM) Black Power Coat couldn’t be happier.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks Fred VE7FMN for a great product and to quote a phrase used in and advert in the UK, “it does what it say on the tin”. Communication with Fred VE7FMN is first class every step of the way.
Easy to attach and only took 30mins from start to finish and that included walking out to the shack and unlocking the door, you’ll need the small tap to gently tap out the thread for the new screws, by hand and with very little pressure. Fred has even made a video on you tube to demonstrate how easy it is to do.
Now my beloved KX3 looks dressed for the part and no longer over heats when in use in digital modes, as someone has already said “a must have accessory”.
73 Ian m0iah

DF1HX Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 08:58 Send this review to a friend
5 Star rating!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great product, great support and service. A little pricey though but worth every penny!
Attaching to radio is "a breeze" due to detailed instructions by vendor and all parts (tools, screws,..) included.
A "must have" for all modes with "continuous carrier", i.e. AM, FM, RTTY and other digital modes.
73, Thomas

IW2CZG Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 02:19 Send this review to a friend
An absolute must.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As soon as I got my Elecraft KX3 I felt in love with this nice rig, and as it should be ... it soon become to be a very HOT passion, in particular when I am involved in nights of passion with PSK31.

Ok, serious now ... as a fanatic of PSK31, I was quite disappointed that even running the KX3 at the recommended power for this mode (5 W) it was getting too hot too soon. Nothing strange if you consider how tiny is the original heatsink from Elecraft.
Things went a little better with the new heatsink from Elecraft. Thicker and with a fold that helps dissipating the heat. But it was not enough ... still I was desiring a real heatsink ...

So I've checked the web and I found the one Fred is manufacturing in Canada. I started with him a nice conversation via email and I should say he's very quick and collaborative.
Then I ordered the Cooler KX PLUS and two weeks later I got it here in Europe.

Well ... it's definitely not a cheap upgrade (at the moment the exchange rate is killing me) but for my 1300 USD toy I was really looking for the best ... and I got it.

Beautifully crafted, with the VE7FMN callsign engraved on the interior part, it comes very well wrapped together with all the hardware necessary for the installation.
"The work" took just few minutes and it was easy as a drink a glass of water.

After that I started a PSK31 session and I immediately noticed the benefit of having a real heatsink. At 5-6 Watts, the KX3 was just a little warm.
Then, with a room temperature of 21 °C I connected the dummy load and keyed down the KX3 at full power. I never had power reduction and the Cooler KX3 PLUS just got warm.

PROS:
- Effective
- Nice to see, it matches perfectly the design of the KX3
- Very well crafted. Top quality-
- Easy to install

CONS:
- Little bit expensive (partially due to the exchange rate)

The final worlds:
I'm very happy to have installed it onto my KX3. It's as nice to see as effective.
Thanks Fred for your cooler; it has been very nice and easy to deal with you.