Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3
Cooler KX TM  Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 75 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Model dependant
Description: These hand crafted replacement heatsinks are designed to allow full power use of the KX3. High duty cycle users including digital operators will benefit from reduced incidents of transmitter power roll back due to overheating. Additionally the heatsinks can contribute to overall longer service life from their radios due to reduced internal operating temperatures. Available in two models and in two finishes. Complete information is available on the website.
More info: http://www.ve7fmn.ca

You can write your own review of the Cooler KX TM Heatsink by VE7FMN for Elecraft KX3.

WA6FYU Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellant product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Communication with Fred is excellent and he has a great product. Installed in 30 min.
Thanks Fred - Great guy to work with.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2015 05:51 Send this review to a friend
Trust  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great value! Superior workmanship!

I gave Fred my car keys while I was in my booth at the SEA-PAC hamfest, and told him where my KX3 was in my car. He returned my car keys and my KX3 with the heat sink installed, and all the leftover parts nicely bagged. Fred's integrity is beyond reproach!

The Cooler KX TM Heatsink is machined EXTREMELY well! It is also well balanced, and as an avid CW operator, I am very grateful that my rig is protected while driving the KX3 hard into my Alpha Antenna.

KD8KYK Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Great service!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fred provided great service as I was in the states for only a few days for the 2015 Dayton Hamvention and he took the extra effort with shipping to make sure I received the Cooler KX Heatsink before I went back to Singapore. A great and necessary product--thanks Fred!
Tim Boyer
KD8KYK in US
9V1TB in Singapore

VK2LF Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2015 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to lay out the money for this particular heatsink after reading reviews and comparisons. It really seemed the best. After paying for the optioned-up KX3 and then the GEM Side KX sideplates I figured that this was a small outlay.

Fred is a pleasure to deal with and always seems to reply promptly to queries regardless of the time!

It took me about 30 minutes to install the heatsink using due care. I had to use a 4-40 tap to clean out the chassis threads when I found the "try" screw was reluctant to go into one of the threads. The entire job was dead easy.

I'm looking forward to giving the rig some hard work but I anticipate that it will show no sign of overheating (where it has in the past).

The product itself is beautifully made, was well packaged and was shipped immediately my payment was received.

Peter VK2LF

K8CXM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent upgrade for your KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After purchasing a shiny, new KX3, I decided to add an aftermarket heatsink. My KX3 had the newer, better heatsink, but I felt that I needed more if I wanted to run extended periods of JT modes. I put a query out on the Elecraft reflector, but never got back much information on the benefit of Elecraft's newer heatsink. Fred emailed me direct with his opinions on why it might be a good idea to put on a more efficient heatsink. I ordered one of Fred's heatsinks with the 'Dayton' special, installed it Saturday morning, and I am VERY satisfied with the results. Fred offered quick help on a small problem I had removing the old heatsink (two sided sticky tape I didn't know about)very quickly, and on a Saturday morning! Fortunately, by reviewing the build directions from Elecraft (I did NOT do the build)I had already figured this out and I simply pushed on one end of the old heatsink until it popped off. After that, I was done in 10 minutes. Good investment and great product and help and advice from Fred! Thank you, Fred!
Jim ... K8CXM

N8HAM Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The product was easy to install, has allowed 10 watts for extended periods of time. Fred communicates well with his customers. The heat sink arrived quickly and was very well packaged.

VK3AS Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2015 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great addition to the KX3, have been running digital modes at 10 watts with long over without overheating. Great product
VK3AS

HB9JAQ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2015 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely great product, carefully manufactured and backed with first-class service and support by Fred. Installation documentation is very comprehensive and the installation was done in no time. Since I work digital modes exclusively with my KX3 the thermal behaviour of this little rig was annoying and full duty modes were possible at moderate to low power levels only. Especially with narrow signal modes the frequency drift is an issue with the KX3 (even whith the temperature compensation procedure carried out), not only the high temperature of the finals. With Fred's Cooler KX the temperature gradient over time is much smaller and so is the frequency drift and that makes even JT9 QSOs possible. JT65 at full power level works like a charm, even for several QSOs in sequence. The transceiver with this heatsink installed looks like it came out of the factory this way. The product is a *real* enrichment and (for me) eliminates the one and only issue of the KX3: fast rising temp and overheating during transmission... The Cooler KX is an absolute must have for every serious operator working digimodes with the KX3.

K2JB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Product for the KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Elecraft hit a home run with the KX3 with the exception of its heat dissipation capacity. However, the Cooler KX Plus is THE answer to that one issue. Fred, VE7FMN, has a great product. He is 100% spot on in his communication, order confirmation and shipping. Once I made the transaction, he informed me every step of the way. I received it, installed it in and it fits and works perfectly. Fred says what he does and does what he says. All KX3 owners need this product!
Dean ~ K2JB

VE2AKS Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to this little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered mine and received it three days later at the door. Mounted in less than ten minutes without any problem and here we go!

The important part is to take the time to care about not damaging the holes threading... Especially do not jump over the step where you check the mounting holes with the black screw. This latter is identical to the original ones provided by Elecraft, so it it fits the rest should go like a charm... if you try with the stainless screws first (and worse using the wrench) to save some time you can be stuck with a damaged case! Fred is also extremely helpful to make your installation a complete success, the mounting instructions are also very clear.

I am impatient to see the summer and how well it performs outside in the field while transmitting on HF bands. First tests with a dummy load made, it is very promising especially for my PSK operations! Definitely a big improvement on the stock heatsink. I warmly recommend this upgrade,not cheap but quality comes at a price.

My only problem now is to adapt the foam of my KX3 transport case ;-)