Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BCD436HP Handheld Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BCD436HP Handheld Scanner
Uniden BCD436HP Handheld Scanner Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $499
Description: Handheld Trunktracker V scanner. DMA based scanning. Uses a 4
GB microSD card to store the entire USA and Canada database.
More info: http://www.uniden.com/scanners/uniden-bcd436hp-homepatrol-series-digital-handheld-scanner-/invt/bcd436hpg

You can write your own review of the Uniden BCD436HP Handheld Scanner.

W2MB Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2017 17:49 Send this review to a friend
High Tech Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is amazing. I love the Home Patrol function. It is so much more advanced than my first scanner, an Electra Bearcat and my subsequent Uniden BCT15. Mine was manufactured in 2016 and apparently that was after display and clock issues on earlier models had been resolved. Sensitivity seems better than the BCT15 that it replaced. I like the fact that it comes with a printed user's manual but found that it was simpler to operate than what the manual would lead you to believe. It gets a ding for the un-intelligent battery charging scheme.

N8OFP Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2017 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice scanner with a few issues  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this scanner for a little over 6 months and am happy with the scanner. It receives very well and decodes P25 very well.

It didn't get a score of 5 because of a couple issues.
1) The Sentinel software is somewhat lacking. Should be able to import directly from Radio Reference, instead you can only up date via the Uniden server once a week.
2) Like most hand held radios and scanners the antenna that is supplied is pretty much useless. I replaced the stock antenna with a Diamond SRH999.
3) And the worse thing about this scanner is the POOR battery life. For a hand held / Portable scanner you would expect the batteries to last at least 24 hours.

KE4NPR Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2016 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Very good scanner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've become a fanboy of the Uniden scanners. I own the BCD996XT, BCD325P2, and now the BCD436HP. I ended up buying the BCD436HP because of the EDACS Provoice support, which works great.

I've used this scanner for about 3 months and am very pleased. It seems to receive as well as the other 2 scanners. But this is subjective as I have not done any true experiments. (I listen primarily in the 700MHz+ range with a RS 800 MHz antenna.)

I won't try to cover the many features of the radio but here's a few I really enjoy as compared to my other scanners.

* The radio reference DB is used to update the scanner database and all of the USA and Canada is stored on the memory card in the radio. I no longer have to worry about programming sites and frequencies prior to a trip.

* I love the 3 line display which provides complete alpha/numeric data about the systems I am scanning and receiving. The other scanners have character limitation and truncate much of the data.

* Basically have unlimited storage for TGIDs and can share these with multiple sites. One of the counties I scan has more TGIDs than I could store per site in my old scanners.

* Record and play back features are very nice and seem to work well.

Over I am a happy camper with my purchase.

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Post Recall Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a second review of the gee whiz handheld BCD436. My review is post recall campaign to fix the fading display the address the real time clock issue. According to the repair receipt, the control board was replaced. The LED's are a different color, a dull bluish green. Despite the color, the screen is readable and there is no fading. The radio is keeping time again, which is important for the recording as it uses time stamping. Maybe it's me, but the receiver also seems more sensitive...for the better. I have been very happy with this radio, and it's big brother, the 536. Glad Uniden fixed the problems.

K9XYZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2015 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The BCD436hp is not deaf. The first thing you do when you by a handheld scanner(any of them)is take the stock antenna and put it in your junk drawer...don't toss it just in case you need it. Buy a decent antenna like the Watson regular gainer or super gainer or a Diamond these are of course if you don't have an outside antenna. The only gripe I have with the 436 is the display is not bright enough. Just bought a new one two days ago hoping Uniden had corrected that since the early edition I had....nope. Called Uniden they are aware and are waiting on brighter leds to come from wherever overseas. They will then under warranty if you are fix it for free if not it will cost you a couple bucks.The curved screen that some complain about I find no problem with viewing angles My WS 1080 is so bright on high at night it will light a room. But the 1080 is one fugly radio...I want a full keypad on my scanners. Just ordered a Home patrol 2 it's coming tomorrow....yey!! Will spring the $50 bucks for the extreme although I feel like that should come on the scanner like the 436 did although it doesn't have all the features. Uniden is unmatched when it comes to scanner technology. With a decent antenna the 436 is a good scanner not great yet because of the dim display. If your over 40 or 50 like me you can't see it well......

KD6URO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Back from the dead.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought Uniden BCD436HP after reading the reviews on the web and overall they weren't pretty. A LOT of owners had problems with the SD cards becoming corrupted and I became one of them on day one. I have had many scanners in the past and let me honestly tell you this radio is a whole new kettle of fish. It's programming and file set-up is a STEEP learning curve. Me being mister know-it-all basically bricked it (or so I thought) the second day. This video https://youtu.be/yGFI1D8Zzj0 saved my day. After multitude of web searching and trying every suggestion I found with no luck, I stumbled on the video above and dangit I was back in business!
I am in the Los Angeles area and I find the front end performance outstanding using the stock antenna which on every other scanner I have was always poor and have had to upgrade. I'm sold. A speedy purchase from Zip Scanners @ $399.99

N0FPE Rating: 3/5 May 30, 2015 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been out of the scanner world for years. Just never saw the need for a new one after i got rid of the old Radio Shack 2036. So I decided to take the plunge after playing with a friends 436hp. seemed ok for the casual user like me. The one thing i find a real killer tho is the battery life of the rechargeables that come with the unit. Cant even get a whole day of use out of them. May have to look for something else.
Other than that is ok for the casual user...I dont demand high end receiver because i have regular 2way radios for that.

KI6ASP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2015 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Best Scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned many scanners from the 1970s to the present time, and the BCD436HP is the best of the bunch. Covers all the bands I monitor. Sentinel makes programming a breeze since I use favorite lists exclusively when at the QTH. When traveling, all I do is turn on the nationwide database and enter the local zip code and I am back to listening far away from home. I charge batteries using an external charger. I have never had a problem with the stock SD card (I always make sure I eject the scanner from the computer after using Sentinel). Uniden hit a home run with the BCD436HP scanner. The only negative is the dust behind the bezel. Will try to seal the edges of the bezel with a thin bead of RTV.

K1TSL Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
My experience has been excellent so far...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had resisted purchasing this unit after seeing the reviews here. Other websites had more positive feedback and eventually I pulled the trigger.
I've been using a BR330T for the last several years and more recently a PRO-18.
The learning curve on the 436 is about a steep as I've seen if you're the type of person who wants to control every little part. I am that person. But, after sitting down with it and the Sentinel software for a few hours one Saturday morning (and after the help of a few youtube vids), I got mine setup just they way I wanted it.
Yes, you can get this operating right out of the box with just your zipcode and a few button clicks but I am particular about what I want to hear and some of that isn't readily available in the database. Now that I have put myself through a crash course in programming the 436, it doesn't take much effort to get things tweaked when I need to.
Mine is not deaf as some others have reported. I'm using the famous Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. I was pulling in distant p25 that my PRO-18 was missing with the same antenna. VHF seems to be working as well as I would expect and appears to be on par with the 330T which I thought was excellent.
I think the display is excellent compared to other units I have owned. It's easy to read, provides a lot of information and can be set to backlight with the usual squelch, keypress options. The customizable led notifier is a nice perk.
Your experience may differ, but for this user, I'm quite satisfied.

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2014 04:20 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced, deaf, issues galore.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If this is the future of scanning, it's headed for the apocalypse. How did this thing get released?

Pros: Does digital 700/800 MHZ very well. No real complaints about reception on those bands, WHEN IT WORKS! Problem is, it doesn't work a lot of the time.

Cons:
1. SD card issues. Supposedly the furnished one is of poor quality. I bought 3 different major brands and I had trouble with all of them, they get corrupted somehow. They work fine in my PC, old camera, and other devices. No problems with any of them, but in the BCD436HP, they all have the same problems. Frustrating.
2. Deafness on VHF. Compared to any other radio I have, it's deaf, even compared to other radios I've considered deaf in the past. At my house, with the stock antenna, the only things I can receive is a police department directly across the river from me, and it's very hissy, and I can hear the local WX broadcast, if I have the 436 in just the right position. I can hear both on my other radios with full quieting, and they're listenable with no antenna at all on most of them. With a VHF antenna, it's better, but really nothing breaks the squelch but that very close police department. You can't hear rail, or anything else on it. My other scanners all hear constant railroad traffic 24/7, while the 436 sits there silently. A friend's 436 is exactly the same, but Uniden insists it meets the specs. That is not true, there is a major issue here, and they don't seem to want to fix it.
3. Display is dimming. Uniden will fix this, if it's sent to them. Judging from my experiences with Uniden repair lately, that's about all they can fix.
4. Odd charging/power scheme is annoying, but I charged the batteries out of the radio anyway, so it's no big deal.
5. Unit locks up once in a while, for no apparent reason. Usually, it reboots ok, but once it locked up to the point I thought it was bricked, but removing the batteries for a while brought it back.

This is the worst scanner I've ever had, with one exception, the old AOR1000. After going through the hassles with this radio, and my previous Uniden Home Patrol, I'm done with Uniden for the time being. I'm selling the 436 at a loss to a friend who only listens to trunked 800 digital traffic. Good luck to him, I'm done, going to give a Whistler WS-1080 a try!