Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | TNC-Pi Kit Help

Reviews Summary for TNC-Pi Kit
TNC-Pi Kit Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$40
Description: Add on TNC board for the Raspberry Pi.
More info: http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

You can write your own review of the TNC-Pi Kit.

N4LPK Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2017 14:13 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have one right now for Pi Gate. I just received another RPi3 today and I am awaiting my TNC from Coastal Chip Works to set one up for APRS. I will be running Xastir on it. These are great little units that give you many possibilities for using them.

W4RMS Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2016 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
John @ Coastal ChipWorks, W2FS Best Customer Service. Answers questions, finds answers, excellent responce. TNC-Pi running Pi3 and Xastir . Set up for RF and Internet APRS. Wonderful project. Have mine on VHF, but will soon set one up for HF.

W4RMS

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 14:55 Send this review to a friend
My 2nd TNC-Pi   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used my 2nd TNC-Pi with a RMS Winlink Gateway project. Initially I used the built in TNC of a Kenwood 72A HT radio but it proved to be very unreliable in KISS mode. Took a chance with the TNC-Pi and it worked like a charm. Note that the TNC-Pi only understands KISS and nothing else so no manual configuring with a terminal program. You need that capability look at the Kantronics line of TNCs.

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got bitten by the Raspberry Pi bug. After a short while I was looking for ham related applications for this amazing device and decided on an APRS iGate/beacon. I have a Kenwood 72A which features a built in TNC so I first got everything working with that radio. So the path is Pi (running APRX)>72A (via USB)>Mirage 100W 2M amp>Diamond X300 antenna. Let me add that this is not a project for ham novices nor computer newbies...you better know how to configure ports and such in Linux or have a good buddy to help you. It takes quite a bit of fiddling, googling other people's experiences, tweaking to get it all to work. So once I got it all up and running the next task was to find a separate TNC so I could use one of my other radios (with a 6 pin mini din data jack). Stumbled upon the TNC-Pi from Coastal Chipworks. For an extra fee I was able to buy this already assembled and tested. The owner, John Hansen, is very knowledgable and helpful plus there are several very good tutorials on the web. Basically all it took was a DB9 to mini 6 pin din cable from Buxcomm and a couple changes in a few files to get to work. Now in 24/7 use. Highly recommended. Next project is a RMS WL2K Gateway.