Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug Help

Reviews Summary for Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug
Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $475 euro
Description: New model of semiautomatic key (bug) with magnetic tension and massive silver contacts.
More info: http://www.i1qod.it/prima.htm

You can write your own review of the Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug.

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2014 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous bug with a wide speed range  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I chose the black base model for the contrast it would provide. The workmanship, finish and attention to every detail results in a visually stunning package. There may be a more appropriate word in Italian but I'll stick with "stunning." The feel of this key is "different" and my frames of reference are my other two favorite bugs - the Begali Intrepid and an older model of the Vibroplex Blue Racer. The Intrepid is known for its butter smooth transition between dits and dahs and I can now say from experience that the Frattini Evolution is equally smooth. In the hands of an experienced operator they can both sound like keyer-sent code. The Evolution has an incredibly wide speed range which does not require any "outboard devices" such as adding a Vari-Speed to the Blue Racer. Indeed, my Evolution came supplied with one large weight and one small weight giving me a range of approximately 10 wpm to about 40 wpm. The Evolution's damper is extremely well-engineered and fully adjustable. This results in a bug that is noticeably quieter to operate than my Blue Racer but not quite as hushed as the Intrepid which has a very different design. The magnetic repulsion on the Evolution can be adjusted to produce precisely the amount of resistance desired. This makes the Evolution a tireless and light-as-a-feather bug to operate for long periods of time. Another factor that adds to the comfort is the smooth-as-glass fingerpieces. My key came with a shorter fingerpiece on the dah lever, reminiscent of the Vibroplex knob. I found this to be very comfortable and visually appealing. "Contact bounce" is a common issue among many bug users and the degree to which it "bothers" the operator is, of course, subjective. Contact bounce "bothers" me a lot! In the past I've employed an electronic debouncer on my Intrepid as well as a mechanical device to preload the flat spring on my Vibroplex Blue Racer. The massive silver contacts on the Evolution appear to work extremely well to reduce the contact bounce to a level that I can't detect. In summary, the Frattini Evolution is a visually stunning and expensive semi-automatic telegraph key that is worth every penny to me: it has a wide speed range, a feather-light touch; is heavy enough to withstand a heavy hand and has "no bounce" contacts.

K5WTX Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Work of Art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received a Chrome evolution from Alberto Frattini and the workmanship is nothing short of fantastic. Action is smooth and the magnetic tensioning used instead of springs is exceptional.