Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug Help

Reviews Summary for Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug
Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $475 euro
Description: New model of semiautomatic key (bug) with magnetic tension and massive silver contacts.

You can write your own review of the Alberto Frattini Chrome Evolution Chrome Bug.

K2OO Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2018 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Simply Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alberto produces a key that is both a visual work of art and a superior key. My cost was 453 Euros -- which included delivery by air freight. The lag time from ordering to delivery will exceed 3 months -- but Alberto will not accept payment until he is ready to ship. This delay represents the fact that he only makes between 25 to 30 keys a year.
One comment on the key not mentioned in the other reviews is that the dit and dah paddles are SEPARATE like in an iambic paddle. That takes a little time to get used to if you're coming from a Vibroplex.
Alberto was bemoaning the fact that he is old (71 years) and that he doesn't have anyone to take over his work. With that in mind, I'd recommend that if you want to invest in any of his keys or paddles, you do so in the not too distant future.
I love the key and will use it until I am no longer able to send cw.
WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2014 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous bug with a wide speed range  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I chose the black base model for the contrast it would provide. The workmanship, finish and attention to every detail results in a visually stunning package. There may be a more appropriate word in Italian but I'll stick with "stunning." The feel of this key is "different" and my frames of reference are my other two favorite bugs - the Begali Intrepid and an older model of the Vibroplex Blue Racer. The Intrepid is known for its butter smooth transition between dits and dahs and I can now say from experience that the Frattini Evolution is equally smooth. In the hands of an experienced operator they can both sound like keyer-sent code. The Evolution has an incredibly wide speed range which does not require any "outboard devices" such as adding a Vari-Speed to the Blue Racer. Indeed, my Evolution came supplied with one large weight and one small weight giving me a range of approximately 10 wpm to about 40 wpm. The Evolution's damper is extremely well-engineered and fully adjustable. This results in a bug that is noticeably quieter to operate than my Blue Racer but not quite as hushed as the Intrepid which has a very different design. The magnetic repulsion on the Evolution can be adjusted to produce precisely the amount of resistance desired. This makes the Evolution a tireless and light-as-a-feather bug to operate for long periods of time. Another factor that adds to the comfort is the smooth-as-glass fingerpieces. My key came with a shorter fingerpiece on the dah lever, reminiscent of the Vibroplex knob. I found this to be very comfortable and visually appealing. "Contact bounce" is a common issue among many bug users and the degree to which it "bothers" the operator is, of course, subjective. Contact bounce "bothers" me a lot! In the past I've employed an electronic debouncer on my Intrepid as well as a mechanical device to preload the flat spring on my Vibroplex Blue Racer. The massive silver contacts on the Evolution appear to work extremely well to reduce the contact bounce to a level that I can't detect. In summary, the Frattini Evolution is a visually stunning and expensive semi-automatic telegraph key that is worth every penny to me: it has a wide speed range, a feather-light touch; is heavy enough to withstand a heavy hand and has "no bounce" contacts.
K5WTX Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Work of Art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received a Chrome evolution from Alberto Frattini and the workmanship is nothing short of fantastic. Action is smooth and the magnetic tensioning used instead of springs is exceptional.