Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | PigRemote Ver 1 Help

Reviews Summary for PigRemote Ver 1
PigRemote Ver 1 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$274.99
Description: Station Remote Control solution that does not require a
separate computer.
More info: http://pignology.net/pigremote/

You can write your own review of the PigRemote Ver 1.

M0JSS Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Remote control w/o a computer.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for a remote solution that did not require a dedicated computer at the rigs location and was multi-platform. I was seriously thinking of RemoteRig with the expensive K3/0 add on to my K3. While at Dayton Hamvention 2013 last year I found Nick N3WG at the Pignology booth.

I am glad I purchased the PigRemote VS the RemoteRig. I use the PigRemote with the Elecraft K3 located about 25 miles away hosted at a friendís QTH with access to some big antennas. Nick provides a wealth of information at the web site and he activity monitors the PigRemote Yahoo group so I will focus on my experience. The small PigRemote box came with Audio-in, Audio-out and RS232 serial cables for K3 interfacing.

The small PigRemote box has a web server running that you can port forward from your Intranet to the Internet to then access from anywhere. The WEB site allows you to restart the remote, check on the status of the two main services PRAudio and PigTail and modify settings of the backend control services.

The PigRemote is cross platform and Pignology provides software for Windows, IOS and Android. You can also use other 3rd party software such as HamRadio Deluxe, FLRig and others.

The audio coming through the internet sounds the same as if I was listening to the speaker on the K3 and TX audio reports are good. The internet connection at the remote end of my link is DSL and not the fastest but commands to the K3 have a good response time.

For those who like to tinker and know Linux you can secure shell into the PigRemote and do some advanced configurations. Nick goes out of this way to answer questions to help making some of the more complicated functions understandable. I like the idea that I can access my K3 now from my Android phone, Table or Windows Desktop. For each of the platforms you need two programs one for audio and one for rig control. The software I use on Microsoft Windows 7 is the Pignology K3UI and PRAudio. For my phone and tablet running on Android I use PRAudio and Pigtail provided free by Pignolgy. I have also used the Microsoft Windows K3 utility from Elecraft.

Moving from knobs to running completely from software does take some adjustment to this style of operating. I hope to write a listing of tips and K3 commands to help others soon to share what I have learned.

The PigRemote is an example of a well-engineered solution to meet my needs for remote control. I have also coupled my PigRemote with the Sierra Systems Station Controller. This is for the ultimate in remote control allowing you to turn on and off the remote radio monitor DC voltage, Monitor RF Power Forward and Reverse switch antennas etc. I will write a separate eHam review of the Sierra System Station controller with the PigRemote.