Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | KYDERA KYD DM-880 DMR Handheld Help

Reviews Summary for KYDERA KYD DM-880 DMR Handheld
KYDERA KYD DM-880 DMR Handheld Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $200
Description: DMR Handheld Transceiver from China New Century Communication Electronics Co.,Ltd.
More info: http://www.century-comm.com/Proucts01.asp?id=578

You can write your own review of the KYDERA KYD DM-880 DMR Handheld.

ON4NL Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2016 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Kydera DM-800  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a DM-800 begin 2016, just a few weeks before I read these reviews. You can imaging that I was a bit worried, however USD130.00 isn't a disaster. Right the transceiver isn't CE approved, FCC I don't care much as it is an issue for the USA. After 8 months operating it daily, digital and Analog mode, repeater work. I had none of the issues what were listed before. The only difficulty is the programming that is a bit different from other DMR Transceivers, but after some time you get used to it. I found it very good value for money. I own a Hytera PD-685G to, and found no differences in performance after 8 months in use.

N2PLR Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2015 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the monry  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK the radio is cheap. Just what I was looking for to try DMR. Face it Motorola is alot of money to spend on something new. About the radio it has a nice solid feel. 3000ma battery buil in FM radio plenty of memory for systems and analog channels. It does 25khz in analog which is nice. Programming is a bit different but not impossible, I had problems with the drivers I had to reinstall them if I shut the computer down. That was my main complaint. There were some quirks but for the cost of half of a used Motorola I can live with it. Audio is good speaker is loud display is bright and can be adjusted and can turn off after a period. Negatives were some of the quirks mentioned. On the plus side Price,25khz on analog oh and the FM radio. A perfect radio for myself. I did need help programming the radio just because I never did a DMR radio before but not an issue now that I know how. Good luck and ttyl on tac-310. N3DUG

VA2OOK Rating: 1/5 May 15, 2014 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Junk! Not 100% compatible with the DMR standard  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Buyer beware!

Looking for a cheaper alternative to Mororola's DMR radios we found the KYD DM-880 DMR handhelds and we decided to give them a try. We got three handhelds back in October 2013 for testing purposes and after 7 months of testing, 2 firmware and 1 software upgrades this is our conclusion: DO NOT BUY!

And here's why:

01. Programing software. Poorly written, buggy and in Chinglish (80% Mandarin + 20% Bad English). Initial version required MS Excel installed on the machine in order to work. The user interface is not intuitive and chaotic.

02. Poor USB connectivity and driver issues

03. Very high error rates observed on C-Bridged Motorola repeaters (poor chipset design or implementation?)

04. Unreliable technical support (non-responsive and difficult, non-technical sales people who
translate to Mandarin for the engineering team)

05. Constant drop-outs on TX (completely useless for repeater QSO). Any transmission longer than 5 seconds experienced drop-outs)

06. Master/Slave not supported (no 1-slot simplex)

07. Unreliable volume control knob: too light, extremely easy to turn the volume all the way down, non-linear response

08. Unreliable channel knob: extremely “jumpy”, almost impossible to use, jumps back and forth between 2 channels

09. Faulty accessory connector (can't use external speaker microphone)

10. Not FCC / IC approved

If you're looking for a cheap DMR handheld, THIS RADIO IS NOT THE SOLUTION.

These radios were supposed to offer a less expensive way for hams to join the expanding DMR community but have failed miserably due to their incompatibility with the existing DMR repeaters.