Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Alinco DM-330FXT Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DM-330FXT
Alinco DM-330FXT Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$180
Description: The Alinco DM-330FXT is a variable voltage, switching power supply that delivers 9 to 15 VDC at 28 amps continuous or 30 amps surge. The combination of high-quality space-saving components and high efficiency switching technology make it possible for the DM-330FXT to be super-compact and still generate 30 amps continuous output. Alinco's communication technology has created a patent-pending Noise-Offset circuit to eliminate the pulse-noise of the switching circuit for the customer who demands more.

The DM-330FXT comes with short circuit protection, a current-limiting system (over 30 amp) and extreme-temperature protection. The pre-set voltage function makes the DM-330MVT even easier to use. Just store the most frequently used voltage in the memory, and it is constantly ready to go. And of course it is easily varied. Convenience is another feature of the DM-330FXT! A cigar-plug socket (Max 10 amps), a set of Max 32 amps terminals, and two sets of snap-in terminals (Max 5 Amps) are provided. The front panel features two USB 2 amp ports. A large back-lit Amp/V meter displays the status of the power supply.

Input voltage is 120 VAC. Ripple is less than 15mV p-p at rated load.

You can write your own review of the Alinco DM-330FXT.

KM4CQG Rating: 1/5 Jun 9, 2017 19:19 Send this review to a friend
A Real let down  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to like this Power Supply
Purchased for QRP work on KX3 and PX3 the problem is noise and lots of it. The unit does have a noise offset but there is so much it's just not worth the trouble. I was comparing this unit to just running battery power and it's just not worth getting Spikes went to 80db and frequent and yes the offset could remove the one near me but another emerges right of previous spike. Maybe it was defective but for digital use it's poorly designed.

K5ACL Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2017 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Power supply produces noise, but it's not significant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this little guy after I got tired of lugging my Astron around with me. 25 lbs vs 4 lbs is a heck of a difference! Takes up a lot less real estate on my desk too. Billet aluminum case is a nice feature, the finish is excellent. Lots of ports too, I just added a powerpole pigtail on the back.

This power supply does produce noise. It is almost barely visible in the waterfall spaced about every 40kHz or so, and it is slightly audible to the ear drifting up and down in frequency. But the noise is so slight it's not an issue. The noise offset feature does work! A lot better than many other switching power supplies that produce crazy hash and can destroy an SDRs waterfall completely.

My Astron produced considerable heat, even under no load, and it gets quite hot in my shack already. The Alinco runs much cooler, though the fan might be an annoyance to some if you like a really quiet shack, otherwise it was no more noticeable than the fan in my VHF/UHF radio.

I figured for the price, features, build quality & flexibility of this power supply its completely worth the price, paid about $150 from HRO. Great little power supply.

I made a short video demonstrating just how minor the noise is on this power supply if you're interested:

K5ACL

NV8G Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2016 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Meets my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this only a couple of weeks, but I am extremely pleased so far. it doesn't hum, like my Astron Linear does. It's much lighter and smaller. it has the two USB ports which are very handy! It has the front power connectors which may it very handy when you need power for testing or repairing something. It's easy to take with you, due to it's smaller size and light weight. It's switchable from current to volts. And, it has the noise offset feature, which I have not needed yet. I give it a 5!

WA6ED Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2016 15:39 Send this review to a friend
I love this power supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have three now. These power supplies are light weight and perform well. I have had zero issues on HF, VHF, or UHF. I use the USB charger ports daily. I never use my Astron linear anymore. Why would I want that heavy thing round?

WA6ED Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2015 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Great PS, light weight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this power supply for over a month now. I have observed no issues. It's powering a FTM-400D and both are working flawlessly.

KC9VFG Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2015 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Not half bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the DM-330FXT for about a month now and I'm very pleased. It's about half the size and weight of my old Pyramid and seems just as solid in every way.

I haven't noticed any noise on any bands, so I can't say if the noise shifting feature actually does anything. But I won't complain about not having to use it.

One small thing to note, which probably won't matter to most operators... I bought this unit under the assumption that it was internally the same as the DM-330MVT. The only apparent difference was the addition of USB ports on the front of the FXT. But internally, they are not the same after all.

I plan to take my gear to New Zealand in a few months, and need a power supply that can be switched from 110v to 230v. The older MVT was easy to switch over with an internal setting. The newer FXT is hardwired for one voltage only, according to Alinco tech support.

So anyone needing dual voltage capability should look at the older model. I can't fault Alinco for excluding a feature they never promised, so I'm still giving this 5 stars. But I believe the MVT is a better model if you don't care about the USB ports.

N2GPE Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2015 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent on second try  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The supply is compact, solidly built and looks good next to the rigs. The meter is well lit and the power connection options, in addition to the two USB charging ports, are especially suited to EMCOMM applications.

Some reviewers have suggested the rear binding posts are not sturdy enough. I had no problem snugging up two heavy duty copper ring terminals tight enough to easily handle way more power than the supply will ever deliver.

This unit still gets five stars even though I had to send the first one back for warranty replacement (made all kinds of RF noise). Given all the other positive reviews on similar Alinco models, I knew my defective unit had to be a fluke. The guys at Remtronix and HRO responded to my return inquiry within a day. Their service after the sale turned what would have been a three star review back to a five star rating. They had a new one shipped out quickly and it works properly.

The replacement makes no noise at all. I used a length of wire right off the antenna terminal on the HF rig, placed the wire immediately adjacent to the supply and tuned around. Not a spur to be found!

I am very happy with the supply. It will finally relegate my 25+ year old Astron VS-35M to "backup" status.

KJ4FWN Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2014 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Compatibility issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a feature rich power supply, and I agree with the previous positive reviews. However, I have found the DM-330FXT to not function with the PowerGate PG-40S. This appears to be a fault with the current limiter. When a battery is connected to the PG-40S the DM-330FXT output drops to zero, even though the charging current is set for 1a.

Thinking this to be an isolated incident after discussions with ALINCO support, I returned my original unit. The replacement performed in the same manner and was also returned. I switched to a PowerWerx SPS-30DM which works as advertised with the PG-40S.

ALINCO and HRO were great to work with during this issue, and ALINCO will inspect the returned unit for manufacturing issues, for they agree that this unit should work with the PG-40S.

Since this happened with two DM-330FXTs, anyone planning to pair this model with a PG-40S should keep this possible incompatibility in mind. I should add that originally I thought the PG-40S was the problem, but a replacement PG-40S had the same results.

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Splendid power supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know why this is listed as the 330FXT when mine and even the picture shows just FX. Anyway, this power supply seems to be top notch. The cigarette plug and USB ports sold me, but the lightness is the best. I would never take my radio portable with my heavy Aston 35M. This supply is light and still does the job. Nice illuminated meter is also nice. Great job, Alinco.

WK4U Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Seems good, but not 100% hash free on HF.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this new power supply last week because I needed one, reviews are pretty good, and this new power supply also has two USB ports on the front, which is quite handy.

The power supply works as advertised, and for me supports 25 amp current draw with no problems. The small internal cooling fan in the back is quiet when it does turn on.

I used an SDR receiver to look for any burdies/hash from this supply. Many others have said these switching power supplies from Alinco are hash-free on HF. For the most part, I agree, but on 40 meters, there are numerous stable birdies around that are about S-5 in strength. To Alinco's credit, the noise offset adjustment moves them nicely so you CAN get them out of your way if you must.

If you use a switching power supply on an HF radio and you hear (see?) trash on your frequency, at least try the internal oscillator adjustment to see if the trash is coming from your power supply. You'll be glad you did!

Overall, I am very happy with this power supply.