Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Generic USB to CW quarter inch jack keying interface Help

Reviews Summary for Generic USB to CW quarter inch jack keying interface
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $13
Description: Inexpensive USB to CW keyer interface Utilizes CH340 Chipset with OPTO-Isolation between PC and Radio with chrome Quarter inch jack for amateur radios such as Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, and others that use a quarter inch (6.5mm) CW key jack. Radio should be set to Straight Key for proper operation.
More info: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2E4-000F-00006

You can write your own review of the Generic USB to CW quarter inch jack keying interface.

KW4JA Rating: 1/5 Aug 27, 2015 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've purchased three of these on eBay the past year but they go bad. You know it's a goner when it is in constant key down state which is due to a component shorting out. I've been to the well too many times with this so CW type is unusable at this point.

KW4JA Rating: 0/5 May 8, 2015 21:38 Send this review to a friend
it always happens to me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an update of my recent review of this item. The one I previously owned shorted out so I sent to China for a replacement. It arrived after two week. It came with a driver I installed. The first day I used it a couple of hours. The next day the item didn't work at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver to no avail. I did restore on the computer. No nothing. I hear the side tone in my sound card but it no longer keys the transceiver. I give up on the cwtype solution for replacing keyers. For me it's back to a by-1.

W1BG Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2015 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In a word, perfect. Literally plug-'n-play after selecting the Com port number in CWType. Used with Windows 7, the OS went out and found the correct driver automatically without using included driver disk. Operation has so far been flawless. I use it with an Icom IC-7200. I could not believe how cheap this was as well as how soon it arrived. The online ordering indicated that it was shipping from overseas, more or less implying not to expect it anytime soon, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it in my mailbox 8 days later. You gotta get this thing!!

OH5YU Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2014 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a similar device through Amazon from China. It works fine, the price is low, and delivery was fast. It seems not to be susceptible to RF at all. I can hear very weak birdies on 10 m from this device using a doublet with open feed line. That doesn't bother me a bit.

KG6AF Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2014 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks, AD0AR, for recommending this product. It never would have occurred to me that NewEgg would sell such a device, much less that they'd sell it for $12.29, including shipping. I downloaded the driver from the web (I make it a point never to use the provided install CD), installed it on my W7 machine, and got the interface working with the N1MM logger in short order.

I don't think you could build your own USB-to-CW interface for less than this costs. In fact, it astonishes me that anyone is making money at this price. While I like NewEgg and encourage you to buy from them, the product is shipped directly from China, and can be found on eBay by searching for "6.5mm Key Port Data Cable".

AD0AR Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Best $13 I spent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not sure if I am allowed to say that I actually found something in amateur radio that is actually affordable!
This is a USB to Serial opto-isolated CW keyer that is 100% compatible with Ham Radio Deluxe when configured correctly. Very good construction with the USB portion small in size and fitted with a chrome quarter inch jack. Uses CH340 Chipset and I found no shared grounds/ 100% isolated between the radio and PC. I found that when ohmed from any conductor on the USB side to either conductor on the quarter inch jack that the resistance is higher than the 80 Megaohm resistance limit of my test equipment.
Under Windows 7, driver found automatically. I simply navigated to the device manager to note com port number assigned by PC to device, and I pointed DM780/HRD to that port number, plugged into the CW jack on the radio set, set my radio to STRAIGHT key and Viola! Now I can use CW the way the manufacturer intended to use it- in CW mode! Get rid of that Signalink being used in MCW mode! You will like this simplicity! Next, I am going to see if I can fabricate a quarter inch to Acessory port adaptor to see if I can get this to work as a RTTY keyer too!