Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BC60XLT-1 Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC60XLT-1 Scanner
Uniden BC60XLT-1 Scanner Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: 30 channels cover VHF Lo/Hi & UHF.
More info: http://www.uniden.com/docs/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=BC60XLT-1

You can write your own review of the Uniden BC60XLT-1 Scanner.

PESBZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2002 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Other frequencies  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a real good scanner. I have got the European version of the scanner (UBC-60XLT-1, made in 1996) and the frequency range is 66 - 88 MHz, 137 - 174 MHz, 406 - 512 MHz.

The 66-88 MHz band is is not included in the U.S. (not European) version. On the other hand, the European version does not have the 29 - 54 MHz band.

Does anybody know how to modify this? Perhaps it is an easy modification like the 50 extra channels.

So please help me with this! A clear photo of a processor-board from the U.S. version of this scanner would be a great help. Mayby someone has a schematic of the U.S. version? A schematic from the European version is also very welcome ;-)

Please let me know if you have any information about this "problem". Send an email to nl1bvk@angelfire.com

Thanx for reading!

AB0RE Rating: 3/5 Sep 3, 2002 22:42 Send this review to a friend
To make it better....  Time owned: more than 12 months
With a minor modification, the BC60XLT-1 can be made to be made an 80 channel scanner. Although, it takes a good while to scan through all those frequencies. I put a button on the side of my unit that will turn on / off the extra 50 channels, effectively giving the unit two memory "banks".

Also, I had initially thought the metal plates on my battery cover and the unit were not making contact as it was nearly impossible to get the thing to work after changing batteries. After cleaning both sets of contacts with a pencil eraser it works like a champ.

WB0FDJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2002 15:22 Send this review to a friend
A basic, inexpensive unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine from the on-line refurb shop. I live in the country so 30 channels is plenty. The search function is pretty slick. It's got good sensitivity. I've been a scanner junkie since I was a kid. I recommend something like this unit (for about $45 refurb) to monitor the basic have-to-hear freqs. If you want elaborate aero coverage get a bigger more expensive unit. I find I listen much more to this unit than my larger table top 200 ch. unit, mostly 'cause it goes out the door more easily.

KC0JEX Rating: 3/5 Jun 19, 2001 09:41 Send this review to a friend
quality for low price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Though I think the MSRP is $170, you can get it new for around $75, or refourbished from the uniden store for about $50-that's where I got mine. It's great if you need a hand-held scanner, and don't want to spend hundreds. The scan and search speed are somewhat sub-par, but it's OK. I take this scanner to placed that I visit, Minneapolis, DC, Las Vegas, and it does the job just fine. I also use it as a mobile often.

AF5II Rating: 3/5 Mar 14, 2001 23:02 Send this review to a friend
good low cost handheld scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good scanner for the price ( around $74.00 at Wal-Mart.) However with only 30 channels I found that I quickly out grew it, but by using the search feature I found that is easy to get around (just program up to five of your favorite "secondary" channels in the 5 progrmable search banks.) But if you dont want to pay for 100 or so channels when you just need 30 or less it is a exelent litle radio. Also it picks up the "big four" mobile ham bands so you can let it find those repeaters on long trips if your mobile rig dose'nt have a scan feature.

KC0EAO Rating: 3/5 Nov 2, 2000 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Okay for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up one of these units about 6 months ago from the uniden online store for $48, plus shipping. The scanner covered all the frequency ranges I was looking for, so I thought I would give it a try. I have two gripes about the scanner: It has a "wierd" battery compartment, in which 2 batteries are inside the radio, and 2 batteries are inside the battery cover. When you put the battery cover back on the radio after changing batteries it is nearly impossible to get the 2 little metal plates to make contact so the scanner powers up. It took me months to get the hang of it. My other complaint is the display. It "washes out" at odd angles when the display is backlit. And the LCD display window of the scanner is a very soft plastic, so it scratches very easily. I've even tried products like Displex to remove the scratches, but nothing helped. Other than those 2 minor nuisances it's been a great scanner. It scans fast and has some good features like a priority channel scan, channel lockout, programmable scan ranges, backlit display, and healthy audio at normal volume levels. And since the scanner does everything I want it to (police, fire, ambulance, ham, most businesses) I feel it was a good value for what I paid. I've found that even though it only has 30 channels its more than enough for what I listen to. 73