Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TYT TH9800 Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH9800
TYT TH9800 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $273.00 Amazon
Description: Quad band transceiver. 10, 6, 2 Meters and 7o CM 50 watts on 6 and 2 meters, 40 watts an 10 meters and 70 CM.
More info: http://www.tyt888.com

You can write your own review of the TYT TH9800.

W1XWX Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 15:36 Send this review to a friend
24-7 for a year  Time owned: more than 12 months
We are using a TYT 9800 as a distant cross band repeater back to our primary repeater. The 9800 has been running over a year now 24-7 without any issues.

HL1ZIX Rating: 2/5 Dec 5, 2016 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Update review. Another problem found  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an updated review of the TYT 9800+, after 6 months of ownership. I have noticed a pretty serious issue with spurrious emissions on the B-side VFO, after the radio heats up, and have to mention it. Info added below....

This is the TYT TY9800+ model (the newest version 1508A), purchased from TPK Radios on Aliexpress. The seller, reportedly, tests the radios before shipping. I believe they did so, but they probably couldn't have found the problem I have.

Fault 1: The radio has a slight high-pitched whine in receive on the right-side. The left-side receive is OK. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, because I just listen to the left side, unless a signal comes in on both. I usually leave the right side on a simplex channel that goes unused, unless a friend comes on, anyway.

Fault 2: The mic doesn't sound particularly great. A friend says I sound best with I hold it about 10 inches from my face. The three tiny holes for the mic, upper-right of keypad, are easy to cover with your thumb, too. Otherwise, the keyboard function on the mic is nice to have.

Serious fault #3: After the radio gets warm from use, the B-side VFO actually trips multiple repeaters with a several-mile radius, on both the 2m and 70cm bands (possibly elsewhere, too) on transmit. It took months to figure out this was going on. My friend runs several repeaters around the city of Seoul, and we now know what was causing it -- my TYT 9800 Plus, after warming up.

Previous additional info below....

I have used Crossband repeat, and it has been unexpectedly useful, but it makes the radio hot, so, as suggested in the manual, I run it only with low power. It is nice to walk around the house (or neighborhood) with my Baofeng HT, and access this repeater for better transmit. I now avoid it, due to above VFO B problem.

The radio has a "compander" feature, which is somewhat like a compressor. The effect is kind of useless, however, because it ruins the audio just enough to be annoying. The best way to describe it is it makes the audio sound a lot like overly-aggressive Dolby C did on my cassette tapes back in the 1980's. The last several milliseconds of each word gets clipped off. You can understand it, but is uncomfortable.

The other general features of the radio work fine.

I purchased this radio, instead of a Yaesu, because getting a Yaesu to Korea involves far higher costs and fees on import. Local sellers gouge us on Yaesu in Korea -- costs for name-brand radios are double US prices. I tried this, because I could ship this radio for what you'd pay on E-bay for it (about $235). If I had been in the USA, I would have gone with a Yaesu -- no doubt. Even a less-featured Yaesu, for the money. But, as I am in Korea, I went with this. It is serving its purpose just fine, so I am not upset with the purchase. I just want to be honest about its shortcomings. I'm hoping it holds together fine.

KB6MAS Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2016 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Good radio ? speaker jack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one second hand for a fantastic price. Everything works as stated in the manual except the internal speaker stopped working. I had to switch to to a external speaker which works well. If they used better speaker jacks I'd give this radio a perfect score. Someday I may open it up to replace the speaker Jack but it works fine with external speaker so most likely I'll run it as it is.

GRIDLESS Rating: 0/5 Jan 16, 2016 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Failed & no warranty  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
based on a lot of reviews, I gave this radio a try. Right off the bat, it had wildly fluctuating power (on L, M2, M1, & H) -- from one frequency to another, the power output would be vastly different (from 10w to 20w to 4w on high) - all with swr of less than 1.5.
I purchased direct from tyt; as I thought that would be the best way to get warranty support, in case I needed it.
Once the radio arrived, I couldn't use the programming cable, it had no drivers for win8; so that was useless.
I had some others check the power, and they too were stumped. I contacted tyt and they wanted videos of the readings -- so I provided it.
Then a few weeks later, I could no longer access the menu system; and then it started having problems changing frequency.
TYT just stopped responding to me & have refused to warranty the radio & it's completely bricked now.

I now understand the woes of buying from China.
It appears well built & sturdy; but it just didn't work from the get go & went downhill quick.

ON3TVC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Price Quality the best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought two pieces. One for the car and one for the RV camper. Easy programming possible with Chirp. RX TX is good, performance is great. Would buy it again.

N4DXX Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Can't Complain  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok Folks i don't have a Yaesu 9800 to compare it with but i can say it works fantastic for me..I have used all bands and currently crossband it to 10 meter FM and get awsome reports..Mine is the Plus model..I have hammered the transmit pa unit crossbanding for hours at a time on full power..Mine puts out 60 watts or more on every band..Does get hot but has yet to fail after hours of long winded qso's..The rx is as good on every band,,It hears very well everywhere i was very impressed in this area as well..Front end seems to handle the strongest signals well..Nothing more to say just give you my thoughts..If you buy one i hope it performs as well as mine has..I give it a very strong 5..Due to the price point and build quality ..I have had many other uhf/vhf radio's and this is as good or better than most..

IU0CXU Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2015 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Good but not super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good radio but not excellent. Purchased from a well-known retailer on ebay the first of the month of december, used for approximately 15 days then returned to the seller.
Poor sensitivity on the right section of the radio, deviation in reception and transmission.
Noise from the speaker when you press the PTT with tones subaudio in and volume adjusted upwards.
Excellent power (slightly higher than the declared values), good modulation.
Commands and software are very simple and intuitive.
Probably this radio was defective (I do not believe the electronics is the same of Yaesu), but next time I'll choose ICOM or KENWOOD.

K7AVV Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 07:17 Send this review to a friend
So far so good!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had mine for 6 months and used and probably abused it, and its like a timex... Keeps on ticking. Good reports on the audio. It seems to have good rejection of intermod in heavy RF environments.

I did misplace the manual. Getting a replacement has been a royal pain. Does anyone have a copy that could or has been scanned? I still stand in need of that doc. Thanks in advance

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Bargain for the money.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one, and after running it for two months, I bought three more. Quad band, similar to my FT-8900, it gets good comments on audio quality. I only paid $220 each from US Seller, with a 1 year warranty.

My best friend saw enough difference he paid $169 extra to get a Yaesu FT-8900 instead. My thoughts were that being able to have similar radios in all vehicles, for a 40% savings made the TH-9800 a good deal.

N6PET Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
The Good Chinese  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was first hesitant investing this much on a Chinese mobile radio for my car. This is a clone of the FT-8900, which is about $180 more expensive AND has a lot less capabilities. To my surprise, I am very happy with this purchase. Chinese radios has been criticized by many ham operators but little do they know that all "Japanese made" radios are actually made also in China, or parts of it at least. This is no exception. I see a well built and good quality ham radio. It does exactly what the FT-8900 does but with unlocked transmit in all 4 bands, outside the ham band. Plus, it already comes with the remote separation kit, that you have to purchase for $70 with the Yaesu. All these the FT-8900 can not do or does not have. This is a good addition to your shack if you are really objective in evaluating quality, performance, and capabilities. I own a Yaesu FT-8800 and a FT-450D but I have to admit that this is better that the FT-8900 in so many ways.

See details of my review here: