Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna
Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $15
Description: •FREQUENCY: 144-148 MHz
• 435-450 MHz
•VHF GAIN: Utiltiy Gain ( VHF )
•UHF GAIN: 2.5 dbi ( UHF )
•V.S.W.R: Less than 1.5:1
•IMPEDANCE: 50 OHMS
•INPUT POWER: 200 W
•LENGTH: 19″ ( 482 mm )
More info: http://opektech.us/product/db-2/

You can write your own review of the Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna.

AB0RE Rating: 2/5 Jun 3, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Spend a bit more on something else  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these at a hamfest. Upon bringing it out the car I found that the VHF resonance was way too low. As I started to trim and re-check SWR with my analyzer I came to the conclusion there was no way I'd get both the VHF and UHF bands under 1.5:1 SWR (UHF resonance would be way too high by the time I brought VHF into spec).

Perhaps this antenna was meant for a poor ground (magnet mount) instead of a true-hole mount as I had my car. Or perhaps nobody bothers checking SWR on VHF/UHF antennas anymore so this cheapie has "slipped under the radar". Regardless, I'd encourage readers to overlook the amazing price tag of the VU-1509 and get something from a more reputable manufacturer (Larsen, Diamond, Comet, PCTel/Maxrad, Laird/Antenex, etc). Life's too short for cruddy antennas.