Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna
Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $15
Description: •FREQUENCY: 144-148 MHz
• 435-450 MHz
•VHF GAIN: Utiltiy Gain ( VHF )
•UHF GAIN: 2.5 dbi ( UHF )
•V.S.W.R: Less than 1.5:1
•IMPEDANCE: 50 OHMS
•INPUT POWER: 200 W
•LENGTH: 19″ ( 482 mm )
More info: http://opektech.us/product/db-2/

You can write your own review of the Opek VU-1509 VHF/UHF NMO mount antenna.

WA2CLP Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2017 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad for the Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna because it matches my Larsen Mag mount: I needed to try something dual band since my other NMO antennas are all single band. I figured if it didn't work then no great loss. I actually added it to my Smiley Antenna order to get free shipping and you know what? It works really well: I was pleasantly surprised.

First off there are no instructions for trimming this antenna: It's plug & play. It's supplied with an allen wrench so I opened up the threaded connector at the bottom and there's no room for adjustment. Also the base washer supplied is too thick so I used one of the extras I had from Larsen and it works fine. I set up an indoor test with my Diamond SX-400 VHF/UHF SWR & power meter on a 12" x 12" metal drawer insert used as the ground plane on the bed. The antenna tested well, around 1.6 to 1 or better across both bands: You can't ask for more than that.

The next test was to install it in the mobile and try it out: It worked better than I expected. It's a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and something more on 440. (2 quarter waves end to end with no base loading coil...) I can comfortably use the local 79 machine with my HT in the cup holder and boom headset on my 26 mile commute to work each day. For $11 you can't beat it. Oh and get this... At just under 19" tall I don't have to take it off each time I enter the garage. If on the other hand I want to DX the repeaters in the area I can connect one of my 5 other NMO antennas that I have in the collection.

AB0RE Rating: 2/5 Jun 3, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Spend a bit more on something else  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these at a hamfest. Upon bringing it out the car I found that the VHF resonance was way too low. As I started to trim and re-check SWR with my analyzer I came to the conclusion there was no way I'd get both the VHF and UHF bands under 1.5:1 SWR (UHF resonance would be way too high by the time I brought VHF into spec).

Perhaps this antenna was meant for a poor ground (magnet mount) instead of a true-hole mount as I had my car. Or perhaps nobody bothers checking SWR on VHF/UHF antennas anymore so this cheapie has "slipped under the radar". Regardless, I'd encourage readers to overlook the amazing price tag of the VU-1509 and get something from a more reputable manufacturer (Larsen, Diamond, Comet, PCTel/Maxrad, Laird/Antenex, etc). Life's too short for cruddy antennas.