Reviews Categories | Transverters | DB6NT Microwave Transverters Help

Reviews Summary for DB6NT Microwave Transverters
DB6NT Microwave Transverters Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $approx 1000 euros (varies with b
Description: Transverters for 144 MHz to 411 GHz!!
More info: http://www.db6nt.com

You can write your own review of the DB6NT Microwave Transverters.

G3CWI Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently received the G2 432-10GHz transverter. It works extremely well and brings 10G within reach of anyone. A small amount of construction work is all that is required to get active on the band. Initial results have been surprisingly good - especially compared to my wideband gear.

The standard of construction of the transverter is excellent.

The G2 version will soon be replaced by the G3 which has extra facilities (and costs more).

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2004 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Great quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the 10GHZ DB6NT transverter and 2 watt amplifier for 2 years and always have good luck with it when roving since I am at sea level at home. Since then however, I have acquired the JWM Engineering http://www.jwmeng.com PLL oscillator that gives my DB6NT transverter extreme frequency accuracy although it does require an accurate 10MHZ reference. I use the Z3801A GPS unit in the hold mode when on the road. It is so stable that just for an experiment operated PSK31 with another local ham on 10.36810000GHZ

M0EYT Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2004 10:28 Send this review to a friend
DB6NT 5.7GHz transverter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my 5.7GHz transverter kit about 2 weeks ago, and spent a couple of evenings building it up. The instructions are straight forward, but you need good eye sight and some small tools to complete the build sucessfully.

Only 2 transistors caught me out with the orientation of the writing on top of them being 180^ out compared to the component placement diagram, but it was simple to rectify.

After the unit had been completed, alignment was pretty straight forward, although having a spectrum analyser handy helped a lot. The oscillator multiplier can be set up simply using a DMM and measuring voltage peaks or dips on various test points around the board, but the final two cavity resonators do need very careful adjustment because the tuning of them is extreamly sharp.

The overall kit quality and presentation is excellant. Components are supplied in two sets of compartmented boxes, one being for R's and C's and the other for semiconductors and other devices.

The kit was built in a relativly static free environment and no losses were experienced.

On initial power up of the transverter, all appeared well, and after a few minutes of tuning, the local 5.7GHz beacon was detected.

As with the 10GHz transverter, this one does suffer from minimum LO drift that is affected by temperature, but the same polystyrene approach seems to help no end. I did however particularly like the fact that the kit was supplied with the clip-on constant temperature device. The heater is made on a ceramic AL2O3 substrate and should be attached to the crystal - I used thermal glue intended for gluing devices to heatsinks, and heat shrinked the crystal and heater afterwards.

The transverter has been integrated into a complete system with outboard 3W PA and is due for its first run in the October 2004 UHF and up contest.

Overall, an excellant kit, well worth the money and time taken to assemble. Now to think about how to hide the purchase of the next one from the XYL ;-)

M0EYT Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2004 10:13 Send this review to a friend
10GHz DB6NT transverter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 10GHz DB6NT for a few years now and have used it in anger on around 20 contests. The results have always been excellant. The first test was on a UHF and up contest with just the bare transverter, 300mW to a 45cm dish, and I worked a station 401Km away - pretty good going.

The internal oscillator does move slightly with temperature change, but this can be partially solved by making a lump of polystyrene fit round the oscillator section. The kits are supplied with the option of either an internal oscillator or an external OCXO.

The 10GHz transverter is now built into a fully waterproof enclosure with a LNA and 4~ watt power amplifier, and is used regularly in the UK 10GHz contests and for rain scatter contacts from home.

I had the complete transverter tested at a microwave round table and it came out well with just over 2dB noise figure and 18dB gain. I've since added a LNA directly connected to the TR switch so will get the NF retested soon.

You can see some pictures of my microwave kit in action at http://www.qsl.net/m0eyt

All in all, I'm extreamly pleased with the transverter and would recommend to anyone who needs to get on the microwave bands.

See my other review of the 5.7GHz transverter kit that I recently built up.

DL1XM Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2004 13:46 Send this review to a friend
PHEMT preamplifier - LNA 144 A,; LNA 432 A; MKU 132 A  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The preamplifiers of 144mc, 430mc and 1,2GHz are good, the best I have tested for ham-relay.

PD2DB Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2004 11:56 Send this review to a friend
tr-144-h Extreme good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the TR-144-H for almost one year. It is connected to a Icom 756-pro2. Directly I found out that it is very sensitive and is perfectly to use with the 756. In Lottís of contesting its really strong signal proof. I have the options: adjustable rf-gain & 10db RX-amp & -20dbm TX-amp. After 3 months I got frequency drift. After reparation the problem comes back again. Believe me or not I have send it back three times. The first time it was a bad capacity and the last two times something with heating by TX. Finally we decide to put in a Crystal Heater. Wauw now itís extreme stable. I hade perfectly contact with Kuhne and they pay all costs and even give me a 50Ä check. They even pay the heater. I guess I was the first one with the TX amp. Maybe that gives the probs? The prob didnít show up when they put the TRV in a heater (60Ē Celsius). Only by TX. So it was hard to found out the prob. I have tested a lott of 2mtr equipment. Even expansive pre-amps. For 2mtr this is (one of) the absolute top equipment you could get. Even due the probís I give it a 5plus. Probs can always show up, even by a brand new A-class Mercedes (found that out 2 times (hihi). Due the quick and excellent service I forgot the probís long time ago!!! Marcus PA2DB

K3DNE Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2003 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product and service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a 2304MHz transverter and 10 watt power amplifier from DB6NT 2 years ago when vacationing in Germany. I have been extremely pleased with it's performane. I unfortunately, when trying to reconfigure my station to make a quick 2304MHz FD QSO with a local, transmitted about 10w of 2m RF into the transverter and zapped it. I was not comfortable attempting repair myself - lots of surface mounted components so I boxed it up with a note and sent it to DB6NT for repair. Not only was the repair done promptly it was done at no-charge except for shipping! I hope to add their 3.4, 5.7 and 10GHz transverters to my station over the next couple of years.

DF1AS Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2003 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Best Compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
As you can read in my user profile, I'm currently using DB6NT transverters for 9CM - 6CM - 3CM.

They are all latest generation, 432MHz IF for 3 & 6, 144MHz for 9. Using the milled aluminum frame (Ä 100,- options) for all and populated/soldered them myself, because the pictures of the ready-to-use parts from 6NT's website did not give the inspiring confidence to me ...

Stereo microscopes, SMD soldering stations and adequate tools are a must, then - but no problem here at a place where spaceflight electronics is built ...

Adjustment of the ultra-sharp band filters is not easy: you have to play with a screw-driver and a screw-wrench simultaneously ... finaly the torque of the counternut gives you the right frequency ...

The PCB material is in principal not stiff enough for these filters to give sufficient mechanical (i.e. also thermical) stability. Therefore, the cheap standard sheet metal housings should really be replaced by the milled Al versions. That helps a bit. Unfortunately you cannot replace an already soldered sheet-metal case. You have to decide this afore.

The transverters are small-band types. Compared to the overall ham band allocations, this seems to be a disadvantage. But compared to what I'm really using (some KHz!) this is indeed ok. Don't compare it against commercial/industrial stuff which cost thousand times more.

Size, performance-per-price, replica quality, sophisticated components - all is great for ham usage!

There is also no comparable brand in this (tiny) market area in "DL". If you are not able to design and build such things yourselves, there is no step aside DB6NT!

Would wish that more hams investigate in DB6NT stuff than in ICOM and YAESU ...

Vy 73

AA2UK Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2003 22:17 Send this review to a friend
2304 thru 24ghz transverters are great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently use all DB6NT transverters from 2304 through 24ghz. I purchased mine from Jerry K3MKZ at SSB USA. His customer support has been fantastic. I have used the transverters for about 2 years with no problems. All of the transverters have performed flawlessly through greuling contests. I have had many enjoyable qso's some over 500 miles on the 2304 unit and close to 400 miles on the others during band openings. I like to operate not fix problems and these units have been just the ticket. Having placed 2nd in the UHF and January 2003 contests I would endorse these units and say they helped contribute to my scores. Anyone thinking of getting on the microwave bands really should consider the Mercedees Benz of transverters. 73 Bill AA2UK

N6DN Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2002 12:13 Send this review to a friend
The Best Transverters - No Doubt  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've put together both the 2304 transverter and the 10 Ghz transverter kits. Both worked immediately, and extremely well - not bad for a non-tech type. I've used the 2304 transverter in several contests. A Yaesu FT-290RII is the IF and the antenna is a looper. The tranverter sounds better and works better, hands down, than my 222, 902, and 1296 transverters from a rival manufacturer. If you are going to get a transver, buy one of these.