Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Anytone AT-3318UV-A Help

Reviews Summary for Anytone AT-3318UV-A
Anytone AT-3318UV-A Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $$130.00
Description: Anytone dual band, true dual receive, HT. Multiple versions so
be aware of what you are getting if you acquire.
More info: http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=320

You can write your own review of the Anytone AT-3318UV-A.

KH6HOU Rating: 2/5 Feb 15, 2017 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Feature Rich, Poor Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio has a full suite of useful features including banking, bank linking, fast scan, resume scan after power on, true CTCSS receive, etc.

However, the receive performance leaves something to be desired. My old UV5R has better receive sensitivity! Also, the channel selector either skips channels or doesn't increment channels, so selecting your channel can be a challenge. The included antenna was outperformed by a Nagoya NA701.

On the plus side, the receiver is significantly better at rejecting off-frequency interference, both in-band and out-of-band. Also, there is no birdie at 442.000MHz.

Ed had fantastic customer response until I wrote asking about the problems, then nothing at all from him.

So disappointing as I had great hopes for this radio after reading some of the other reviews.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2016 13:01 Send this review to a friend
One of the best radios I've had!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love the AT-UV3318-E. It is the perfect tri-band for me. The Kenwood triband I don't like so much. I own two of them and dropped each on separate occasions by accident, from 2-3 feet onto a carpeted floor and had to pay 100 bucks each to get them fixed. Yaesu on the other hand, you can throw around radios and they seemingly never break. This AnyTone seems to be much more durable than the Kenwood, though I wouldn't swear it's as durable as the Yaesu. It's my primary HT now. I own too many HTs, probably around 30 of different brands and types. Our entire family are hams and I also lend them out to our neighborhood emergency communications group. So I've used a fair bit of hardware and I can say this is DEFINITELY worth it. Haven't had a single problem with it. I bought the cable and CD to program it from RT Systems in Colorado. I don't like to use unofficial cables, because I always have a pain with them. So no programming troubles, nice price, and it does pretty much everything I demand of it. It's my main workhorse radio now. I do like the Baofeng UV-82HP when I really need some wattage (only works on 2M/70CM) (7 watts). Other than that I'm just using the AnyTone. Definitely worth the money.

JOHNR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2016 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Love the 3318 series radios!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the 3318D (dual band) and the 3318E (tri-band) and they are absolutely incredible radios. I purchased them from http://www.wouxun.us/content.php?content_id=1

The only thing that I wish were available for the 3318's would be an extended battery larger then the 1800mAh. But since I have not seen that I just purchased an extra battery for $24.95.

The quality is excellent as well as audio reports and audio output.

I've never had any issue with either radio and I have used them a lot. I highly recommend this radio.

KJ4DGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2016 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Mine is the 3318UV-D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When you order these radios you need to pay attention to the different models A,E,D etc. I wanted one that would do as much receive for the bucks with AM Air, SW and AM BCB. The previous reviews on the need for a ext. antenna for the last 4 bands is only partly true. I can pull in Aircraft with no problem and even Shortwave with the built in antenna. Of course this is NOT the market that Anytone is looking at. Part 90 for SAR and a basically very well built dual-band HT. If you really want a killer SW only radio there are many out there in the 80 dollar range. My point is it is still nice to have the extra bands in a HAM HT without spending 300.00 on one of the big 3. Also Ed's support cannot be beat.

KT0DD Rating: 2/5 Jun 18, 2015 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Correction...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I cannot edit my previous review, I am posting this in addition to it.

After being emailed by Ed at Wouxun.us I apparently misunderstood his comments. He did not say the 3318-D required a near resonant antenna to work on AM broadcast, He said "It won't pick up hardly anything on AM broadcast without some kind of external antenna, and that there was no internal antenna".

However, I am still wondering what kind of PRACTICAL HT style antenna it takes for this thing to receive on AM / SW broadcast? After all, it is a portable, pocket sized radio. I tried a 42 inch telescoping antenna and still no AM broadcast receive even from a nearby 50,000 watt AM station. And why should you have to remove the transmitting antenna and defeat that purpose just to use another feature of the radio?

Sure it's only 1/3 the price of the Kenwood THF6A and mainly a Part 90 radio. But when the box, manual and advertising state that a certain feature is offered, that feature should work right out of the box without any modifications or optional required equipment. If optional required equipment is needed then the manufacturer should state something like "optional antenna required, not included". 30-40 years ago (when people still cared about things like this) a situation like this would have ended up in a lawsuit against AnyTone for false/misleading advertising.

I now have to pay more shipping to return the item, and my money is tied up until Ed receives his equipment back. An unnecessary inconvenience that could have been avoided had I had the correct info to base my decision to buy on.

Anyway, my correction has been posted.

K2YYN Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 17:56 Send this review to a friend
AT-3318-E tri-band model  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It’s been about 2 months since I ordered the AT-3318-E tri-band model from Ed.

Unfortunately, the first radio that I received was one of the first reported to have a serious malfunction.

It would only have received audio on one band (no audio on sub band). The radio would flake out when programming with software. Turn the radio on and off and it would loose its programmed memories and channels. It was a real lemon of a radio despite all the positive prior reviews.
Ed was initially surprised but good to work with. I sent the radio back for a prompt exchange. Ed reported the radio I sent back did “flake” out on him once and has since put it on the shelf keeping a suspicious eye on it. Defects sometimes indeed get through….

The second radio has had NO problems what’s so ever and has similar good results as posted previously for its dual band brother. 220MHz is excellent both for repeater and simplex. True dual receive and can even use this little guy as a cross band repeater in quick fix situation (though I wouldn’t).

The part 90 certification is useful for coordination OEM activities on my municipal public safety frequencies when needed and in which I am authorized to use.

This little AT-3318-E tri-band model has become my primary portable work horse and is becoming the favorite of our amateurs on the OEM Communications and CERT team. As said else where my Wouxan is now my back up and or go-kit portable.

Not bad at all for a Chinese import.

Now waiting for their Tri Band Mobile the AT-5888 UV III from Ed. Now scheduled to be shipped sometime this month (3/15) and that’s whole another future review!

Ken/K2YYN

KB3YXS Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2014 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Chinese imports.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the AT-3318UV this past Feb. 2014.
Great professional feel out of the box. It has the nicest keypad feel and is very readable. Definetly easy to program for anyone experienced with radios. I like the fact that you could program all the major functions less the 5tone from the front panel including Mem/CH names.
This is a prior unit to the true (A) version serial number 0390A130600236. Every time I emailed Ed with feedback he responded and said most of my list would be included in a next version. Well he was true to his word.

I used this HT everyday these last 9 months carrying it on my belt and using it as a mobile in the truck. Within 8-10 miles of our 2m amd 70cm repeaters it performs flawlessly with good reports always. It has better range than my UV5r and Wouxon UV6D with its factory antenna.
It has a real S-meter unlike the Wouxon or Baofeng. I live behind two of our most populated Towers attached to our EOC and it seems to handle the RF environment much better than my Wouxon or Baofeng.

This radio has become my go to communications tool for daily use. Great fit, form, and function as well as stellar support from the distributor.
Is it worth 99 bucks...yes...Is a UV5R still a viable backup for the glove box or GoKit absolutely. But for quality and reliability for daily use and SAR or other response support it ranks right up there with my FT-60 everyday.
For Part 90 and HAM use this rig is a great deal.
I can't wait to order my new AT-3318-E tri-band model.
73s

KB3YXS
Maryland

KJ6VTP Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2014 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Solid, feature rich, radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the much awaited/anticipated "Wouxun killer"/replacement sold by Ed over on wouxun.us. The Anytone AT-UV3318-A is a solid radio, that is very capable, and with many features.

There are numerous reviews of pre-general release models with high praise, which is seemingly well deserved. This latest generation of the radio is one that Ed worked directly with Anytone to make several enhancements, including memory banks, per channel squelch, programmable side buttons, talk-around, real dual receive, 2/5 tone compatibility, and many others.

On the site it says it is easy to program from the keypad. I guess this is a matter of perspective. Is it easier than a Uv-5R? Yes. Is it as easy as an FT-60? No. It uses all the same bi-plug accessories, and even the same programming cable as most of the popular "Chinese" radios. I would like to see more battery capacity, and a better manual. The Yahoo User group will have to fill in the holes that the manual does not. The radio is part 90 certified, and the keypad can be locked out.

The included software was typical for this class of radio and worked just fine. The Chirp developer is already working on support, but it is not included in the daily builds as of this review. (I use Chirp for all my radios.)

Is it worth the $100? The radio has features many hams will never use. Is a UV-B5/B6 a better value if you are looking for a basic radio that is better than a UV-5R? Probably. But if you are looking for something more full featured to expand on your hobby, or use with S&R teams, etc, then this radio is a strong contender. It has everything you need, and a lot of features you at least have the option to dabble with if you chose at a good price point.

This is now my daily carry radio. I have passed my UV-B5 to the other hams in the family. They are not likely to do more than turn it on and do the weekly check-in. I, on the other hand, want to learn all the bells and whistles, and this will be a great radio for that.

KJ6VTP