Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | Mirage KP-1/6M Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage KP-1/6M
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: In shack GaAs pre-amp for 6m
More info: http://www.mirageamp.com/Product.php?productid=KP-1/6M

You can write your own review of the Mirage KP-1/6M .

AB0YM Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2014 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Gained almost 2 s units on weak sigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a KP-1/6M to use in my vehicle while roving in the ARRL VHF June contest. I was reluctant to order this as there are many negative reviews and comments on various sites. My comments are by "ear" (and s-meter) as I did not have lab equipment to evaluate this. During the contest, having the preamp on gave me between 1 and 2 S units of gain. On my FT857D, that made the difference on QSO completion on about 20% of my 6M contacts. The automatic RF switching was useless for SSB, but I was expecting it. PTT worked ok. I suspect that the many negative reviews were due to poor quality control at Mirage, rather than a design issue. On a few of those reviews, I suspect there was also an element of operator error. I would have given this a "5" except 1) noise was slightly higher than expected and 2) the auto RF switching was unusable - no big deal, but they shouldn't market a feature that is not usable.
Time will tell if this amp is durable enough to use in a vehicle. So far so good.