Reviews Categories | Tools & Test Equipment for the amateur radio work bench | Mag-Torch MT780 Help

Reviews Summary for Mag-Torch MT780
Mag-Torch MT780 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $34.99
Description: This Mag-Torch "pistol" grop model is similar to the Ronson Torch reviewed here on eHam.net, but seems to me to be made better and shares accessories, such as solder tips, with the less expensive Mag-Torch MT775 series "pencil" style butane iron.

I have found there are two MT780 models available, the one with the formed grip has an oval mixer similar to the Ronson Torch. The flame comes out this oval area and a custom press fit sleeve fits over it and accepts the threaded solder tips. The other model (pictured) has a circular extension tip in which the solder tip adapter fits more securely and is a good bit shorter in length. I greatly prefer the model with the circular flame port, which shares accessories with the MT775 model. For fine work, this model is excellent especially since the "stand" is a very secure, included base that can be screwed down to a bench if desired.

I find this is excellent tool for soldering electrical power connectors, especially in the field, as well as PL-259, PowerPole, et al, connectors.
More info: http://www.magtorch.com/mt780.html

You can write your own review of the Mag-Torch MT780.

W4CHL Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, portable soldering torch  Time owned: more than 12 months
This torch is an updated version of the Ronson Torch reviewed elsewhere and performs very well in the field for soldering or insuring very even application of heat shrink insulation.

In the product area, I added a bit more "review" remarks and will edit those. I'll also add one of the surprising low end butane pencil torches which have worked well (not fantastically) in our experience.

For any of the butane torches, it pays to get premium "filtered" butane. In our area of Central NC, few hardware stores and drug stores carry butane fuel. And the "smoke shops" that do, carry the low end, cheap fuel. We attributed our early problems with the poor fuel quality. Many online reviews concur.

Switching to filtered butane costs 2-3x what cheap butane does, but it is worth it!