Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Acom 600S Help

Reviews Summary for Acom 600S
Acom 600S Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2995
Description: Acom's first solid state amplifier 600 watts pep all mode. 1,8 to 54 Mhz. 12Kg
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com

You can write your own review of the Acom 600S.

YB3OX Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2017 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amp with Sunsdr pro2. As previous reviews said this is a good amp.Silent, easy band change, good protection etc.
Along with sunsdr e-coder, this package cost me about 5k usd. Now I have 500+ watts excellent sdr radio at reasonable price.
Thank you Val for another good product.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amp is a delight to use
I use it with my Sunsdr2pro, ICOM7300 and Yaesu FT891 no problems.
Protection is first class
Thoroughly recommended.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2017 05:41 Send this review to a friend
A WINNER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only one week old, fits in beautifully with the Icom IC-7700 easy to couple up and the operation is simplicity itself. What appeals to me is the ability of the amp to "look after itself" as regards operators error. This will be a permanent fixture in my shack without a doubt,the convenience of not having to tune the amp is a great boon. Not a criticism just an observation, it would be nice to have a larger window on the front, but considering the size of the amp it might be impossible. I will report back in a few months time, but so far can't be happier with it.

DL1MRD Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2016 09:41 Send this review to a friend
perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Menu shows 1164 hours of operating now and the unit has never failed me. Yes it is “only” 600Watts, but that’s continuous carrier without limitation. Casing and display look pretty cool and the unit runs relatively quiet. Menu is self-explanatory but that is only needed for first setup. For operation you need only the buttons for power, standby and band switching if that is not done externally. I did not find a cable for my FT-DX3000 or documentation on that, but support did send me instructions immediately when I asked, so it was easy to make a cheap cable. Band switching with the FT-DX3000 works flawlessly. Gain is typically higher than documented. I did not observe a tendency, that the power is lower than the unit displays. An external Daiwa meter and Palstar tuner sometimes show less, sometimes more power, but it is all within tolerance. It does not have an ALC line and only one antenna hookup, but it also costs less than more complex PAs that have all that. The only problem I had (it seems I was the only one) was a crackling noise after transmit that seemed to be heat related. Support offered to have a look at the unit, but I choose to observe since I still had warranty. When it got worst, I just loosened and tightened all screws around the big heat sink in the rear that where easily accessible which completely eliminated the issue. Since I did transmit into wrong (or no :-) antennas I can report that the protection circuit also does its job well. The PA is one of my very few purchases I got nothing to complain about. Support is responsive and friendly, which is just as important to me as product quality.

W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2016 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Way Beyond Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned this amplifier for just over 2 weeks now and I can honestly say that it exceeded all of my expectations. I've been an active ham for over 55 years and have used many amplifiers. This time, I narrowed the search to the Acom 1000 and the Acom 600S. I wanted to buy a quality amplifier that would last me until I'm SK. Trust me, Acom delivers on the quality. When you press a button, it feels really good (as in professional feel) Yes, the 600S is particular about the swr it sees. For me that's not an issue since I have a full power Palstar tuner.
I went with the 600S because I wanted to move away from tubes and I don't have the need to run full power. The front panel display is wonderful and it has a WOW! factor I enjoy. As other reviewers have said, this is a quiet device. It sure delivers on that promise. Others have said it's easy to use. It sure delivers on that promise. Other reports indicate that it needs little drive. Again, VERY TRUE. Not having to tune an amp is simply wonderful. I've been especially impressed by how the amp protects itself from user errors. It sure lets you know when it's not happy about something :) ... Before I selected this amp I viewed every Youtube video I could find and read every review Google found. My bottom line is that my high expectations, set during that research, have been exceeded. I recommend this amp for those of you who only need 600-700 watts.

W2LEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 09:57 Send this review to a friend
My 1st Solid State HF Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After doing much research of solid state Amplifiers I chose the Acom 600s. My 2nd choice would have been an Elecraft KPA500. I have always used 3-500Z type Tube Amps in the past, and the Solid State Learning Curve is still going on. I added the Elecraft KAT500 Tuner downstream from the Amp. I notice that the A600s is very sensitive to drive, and matching (Hence the Tuner), and is constantly sending me reminders. Signal reports have been excellent. She won't bust through Pile ups like my Legal Limit Amps did but I love her anyway.....73 LEW

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2016 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellence in Solid State Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added an Acom 600S to my station. I've sold most of my tube gear, and the 600S took the place of a great Drake L-4B I owned.

Fit and finish is excellent on the Acom 600S. So far, I've used the amplifier as a stand alone unit, using only the PTT and the RF lines. The amp works very well. The built in frequency counter automatically takes care of any band changes, and the attractive 4.5 x 2.75 display keeps the operator updated regarding the amplifier's status.

Notably, it's an extremely quiet amplifier. Quieter than the Drake L-4B, if that's possible :) Output is 600-650 watts when driven with 20-25 watts. Although, I know one person, that indicated 700+ watts is not a problem on SSB. The amp is very well protected. Make an error, the amplifier goes off-line, and the issue is noted on the display.

The RF devices used in this amplifier are a pair of the Freescale/NXP MRFE6VP6300H. State of the art LDMOS devices are much more rugged, than the popular MRF-150 devices that are commonly used in other solid state amplifiers. NXP indicates these devices are capable of handling a load mismatch of 65:1 VSWR. The amplifier is very rugged due to the devices selected by Acom, and it would be nearly impossible to damage the RF output devices due to a failure in the antenna system.

Since it's arrival, I've really grown fond of the 600S. I find myself using this amplifier more than the two other amplifiers I own (OM Power 4000A and Yaesu Quadra). Mathematically, there is very little difference between 600 watts and 1.5KW at the receiver. The signal reports I've received support that conclusion.

I am completely satisfied with the Acom 600S HF amplifier. In comparison, I've owned several high quality amplifiers from Alpha and OM Power. The Acom 600S is on par with other available top of the line amplifiers.

K6ACT Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2016 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Follow-Up to Earlier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my earlier review of the ACOM 600S, I stated that only one connection was required between it that the IC-7300. It a Keying connection. Naturally, RF out to RF in is also required. For additional comments, the 600S cooling fan is so quite, I don't even notice it. Also, I recommend a tuner. Any SWR spike over about a 3 switches the amp to standby. For me, this is a good thing. It keeps me operating properly.

UNCLEIKE Rating: 3/5 Feb 24, 2016 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Less than expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Be aware that you will be building your own cables to make the auto band changing feature work. In my case the on board help menu does not list the Yaesu FT3000 and in fact spells Yaesu wrong. (Yeasu). It took me two weeks to finally get the auto band switching to work. The hello screen that is supposed to be customizable is not, at least not on my unit. This amplifier does perform well but it took a lot of work and searching online to get the settings on the transceiver and the Acom to sync. Even after getting it synced I get frequent CAT/AUX error messages for no apparent reason. I expected more.
K4EDE

WA4AIP Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my solid state 600S for several months now ... it has performed flawlessly with my exciter and auto tuner! Having owned many amps over the years, the 600S is a real spoiler in comparison! The simplicity of operation, the integrated systems monitoring via an LCD display, small desk top foot print and low drive requirements make it a seamless addition to the shack. I run mine on 240V - 10 watts input yields about 450 watts output ... 18 watts will yield ~650 watts. I run it in the 450-550 watts range. If you're looking in the 500-600W range, this amp should be a serious consideration! And, built like a tank with all high quality components!