Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Acom 600S Help

Reviews Summary for Acom 600S
Acom 600S Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2995
Description: Acom's first solid state amplifier 600 watts pep all mode. 1,8 to 54 Mhz. 12Kg
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com

You can write your own review of the Acom 600S.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2017 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely wonderful amplifier   Time owned: more than 12 months
I canít ad to what others have already said. This thing does everything as advertised. Light weight, small, quiet and superb build quality. I was going to buy the 1200S but when I found out that the SPE Expert 1.3K-FA without an antenna tuner is price competitive I chose that one instead.

N4DCD Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2017 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of the reviews here are 5 with the exception of one which to me sound like RF. Not the fault of the amp and 100 hours in 6 days? Anyway, great amp, does what it should with out a hiccup. 600w with 20 watts of drive, can't ask for more and whisper quiet, fast band changes and let's face it, it a ACOM!! IN my opinion, Acom makes the best amp's on the market. I also have a Acom 1500..

KD4POK Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2017 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Problems in week 1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amp was delivered a week ago today. Set it up and used it for 6 days total power on time is about 100 hours. Using an Icom 7300 to drive it with and have the control cable between the two. Amp tracks the 7300 band (set to TTL command set 3) nicely. Have continuous issues with the amp tripping its like its too sensitive to the mic drive. Spent hours adjusting it. Finally got it happy with about 10w output from the 7300 but occasionally it still tripped and output was only about 400 something from the display reading. Just didn't feel I was getting to use the 600w I should have gained with this purchase, but everyone said it sounded good and I kinda got over the power output level. In one QSO tonight I keyed up and the amp beeped an error and turned off. When i turned it back on and started using it two things I noticed. First, the output was about half what it was before it shut down. Second, it was not as sensitive from the mic input which I actually liked, because if it had worked like this from the beginning it would not be so picky about the 7300 input levels and I would have been able to use the rated output of the amp. I investigated further and looked into all the diagnostic menus and found that idle current readings were bad for the right side, the left was good (2.7v vs 0.69v). I assume one of the super reliable final stage freescale MOSFETs lived a short life. I'll have to follow up with distributor DXEngineering Monday where I purchased it to see what happens next. Bummed out. Looking forward to fixing this and hopefully there was a problem from the beginning which is why it always seemed temperamental.

Went to website to look at firmware. Kinda weird. Youtube videos show different looking screens and firmware on one of them 2.5. My firmware says 2.0. Manf. website says last firmware available is 1.5 from years ago. Maybe they stopped letting people update firmware but something doesn't seem right with the different versions I have seen on the screens. This one is still a mystery for now I'll have to inquire about it.

It has lots of potential, I hope this issue is resolved and things just work the way they should. It seems like a nice amp, even though its not too happy right now. 73

YB3OX Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2017 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amp with Sunsdr pro2. As previous reviews said this is a good amp.Silent, easy band change, good protection etc.
Along with sunsdr e-coder, this package cost me about 5k usd. Now I have 500+ watts excellent sdr radio at reasonable price.
Thank you Val for another good product.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amp is a delight to use
I use it with my Sunsdr2pro, ICOM7300 and Yaesu FT891 no problems.
Protection is first class
Thoroughly recommended.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2017 05:41 Send this review to a friend
A WINNER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only one week old, fits in beautifully with the Icom IC-7700 easy to couple up and the operation is simplicity itself. What appeals to me is the ability of the amp to "look after itself" as regards operators error. This will be a permanent fixture in my shack without a doubt,the convenience of not having to tune the amp is a great boon. Not a criticism just an observation, it would be nice to have a larger window on the front, but considering the size of the amp it might be impossible. I will report back in a few months time, but so far can't be happier with it.

DL1MRD Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2016 09:41 Send this review to a friend
perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Menu shows 1164 hours of operating now and the unit has never failed me. Yes it is ďonlyĒ 600Watts, but thatís continuous carrier without limitation. Casing and display look pretty cool and the unit runs relatively quiet. Menu is self-explanatory but that is only needed for first setup. For operation you need only the buttons for power, standby and band switching if that is not done externally. I did not find a cable for my FT-DX3000 or documentation on that, but support did send me instructions immediately when I asked, so it was easy to make a cheap cable. Band switching with the FT-DX3000 works flawlessly. Gain is typically higher than documented. I did not observe a tendency, that the power is lower than the unit displays. An external Daiwa meter and Palstar tuner sometimes show less, sometimes more power, but it is all within tolerance. It does not have an ALC line and only one antenna hookup, but it also costs less than more complex PAs that have all that. The only problem I had (it seems I was the only one) was a crackling noise after transmit that seemed to be heat related. Support offered to have a look at the unit, but I choose to observe since I still had warranty. When it got worst, I just loosened and tightened all screws around the big heat sink in the rear that where easily accessible which completely eliminated the issue. Since I did transmit into wrong (or no :-) antennas I can report that the protection circuit also does its job well. The PA is one of my very few purchases I got nothing to complain about. Support is responsive and friendly, which is just as important to me as product quality.

W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2016 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Way Beyond Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned this amplifier for just over 2 weeks now and I can honestly say that it exceeded all of my expectations. I've been an active ham for over 55 years and have used many amplifiers. This time, I narrowed the search to the Acom 1000 and the Acom 600S. I wanted to buy a quality amplifier that would last me until I'm SK. Trust me, Acom delivers on the quality. When you press a button, it feels really good (as in professional feel) Yes, the 600S is particular about the swr it sees. For me that's not an issue since I have a full power Palstar tuner.
I went with the 600S because I wanted to move away from tubes and I don't have the need to run full power. The front panel display is wonderful and it has a WOW! factor I enjoy. As other reviewers have said, this is a quiet device. It sure delivers on that promise. Others have said it's easy to use. It sure delivers on that promise. Other reports indicate that it needs little drive. Again, VERY TRUE. Not having to tune an amp is simply wonderful. I've been especially impressed by how the amp protects itself from user errors. It sure lets you know when it's not happy about something :) ... Before I selected this amp I viewed every Youtube video I could find and read every review Google found. My bottom line is that my high expectations, set during that research, have been exceeded. I recommend this amp for those of you who only need 600-700 watts.

W2LEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 09:57 Send this review to a friend
My 1st Solid State HF Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After doing much research of solid state Amplifiers I chose the Acom 600s. My 2nd choice would have been an Elecraft KPA500. I have always used 3-500Z type Tube Amps in the past, and the Solid State Learning Curve is still going on. I added the Elecraft KAT500 Tuner downstream from the Amp. I notice that the A600s is very sensitive to drive, and matching (Hence the Tuner), and is constantly sending me reminders. Signal reports have been excellent. She won't bust through Pile ups like my Legal Limit Amps did but I love her anyway.....73 LEW

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2016 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellence in Solid State Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added an Acom 600S to my station. I've sold most of my tube gear, and the 600S took the place of a great Drake L-4B I owned.

Fit and finish is excellent on the Acom 600S. So far, I've used the amplifier as a stand alone unit, using only the PTT and the RF lines. The amp works very well. The built in frequency counter automatically takes care of any band changes, and the attractive 4.5 x 2.75 display keeps the operator updated regarding the amplifier's status.

Notably, it's an extremely quiet amplifier. Quieter than the Drake L-4B, if that's possible :) Output is 600-650 watts when driven with 20-25 watts. Although, I know one person, that indicated 700+ watts is not a problem on SSB. The amp is very well protected. Make an error, the amplifier goes off-line, and the issue is noted on the display.

The RF devices used in this amplifier are a pair of the Freescale/NXP MRFE6VP6300H. State of the art LDMOS devices are much more rugged, than the popular MRF-150 devices that are commonly used in other solid state amplifiers. NXP indicates these devices are capable of handling a load mismatch of 65:1 VSWR. The amplifier is very rugged due to the devices selected by Acom, and it would be nearly impossible to damage the RF output devices due to a failure in the antenna system.

Since it's arrival, I've really grown fond of the 600S. I find myself using this amplifier more than the two other amplifiers I own (OM Power 4000A and Yaesu Quadra). Mathematically, there is very little difference between 600 watts and 1.5KW at the receiver. The signal reports I've received support that conclusion.

I am completely satisfied with the Acom 600S HF amplifier. In comparison, I've owned several high quality amplifiers from Alpha and OM Power. The Acom 600S is on par with other available top of the line amplifiers.