Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Acom 600S Help

Reviews Summary for Acom 600S
Acom 600S Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2995
Description: Acom's first solid state amplifier 600 watts pep all mode. 1,8 to 54 Mhz. 12Kg
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com

You can write your own review of the Acom 600S.

NJ0F Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2015 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Another Acom winner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one to use for portable operation. I liked it so much that I purchased a second one as I did not want to take the first one out the shack! Great little amp. Seamless operation and instant band switching. Not an Acom 2000A, but a great companion for it in my shack!If you owned an Acom before and are spoiled by its quality, this one will not disappoint you!

KC9MWD Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2015 13:52 Send this review to a friend
First amp. Amazing results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First amp in the shack. It works flawlessly and easily produces rated power on all bands with 30 - 40 watts drive. For the most part it’s silent and when the fan runs it barely audible. The amp also runs very cool even during long QSO’s. I worked a couple contests and stations I could never reach were worked on the first call. Amazing what 600 watts can do. Reports say that audio is very clean. It was a little pricey but top notch gear doesn't come cheap. Protection is bulletproof. I can see an 2000A down the road.

ZS6RJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Flawless DXpedition Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We found ourselves in need of an additional amplifier for our recent 7QAA DXpedition in Malawi. We needed something small and light enough to fly as luggage but robust enough to run our dedicated RTTY station for 20 days in a high heat and humidity environment.

Our group was extremely happy that we selected the Acom 600S. At around 12Kg the amp was light enough for the airlines. Over eleven thousand RTTY QSO's were completed using this amplifier, which performed flawlessly. We used the amplifier with a Kenwood TS-590 for RTTY from 80 through 10 metres and relied on RF sensing for band changing. No overheating, and instant warnings and protection if there was a man-made fault (e.g. someone attaching the wrong antenna). The SWR tolerance is excellent, as advertised, and the linear ran full duty cycle RTTY at rated output for the entire duration. We'll be getting another one in the future.

Fit and finish is of an excellent standard too.

73, Roger, ZS6RJ

NS3L Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Another top Amp from ACOM..!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my ACOM 600S from Array Solutions in the first week of March 2015. Hats off to Array Solutions for handling the pre-ship setup and 240V plug install for me.. This is my first ever Amp and I did many a day of research on what I wanted.. Not needing a KW or higher at this point my target was the 500-600 watt range from the beginning..

Now this amp is well built by any standard.. It performed perfectly out of the box and runs consistently cool and quiet. This amp does not make much in the way of sound other that the obvious keying circuit which is low sounding anyway..

When on RTTY or SSTV the temp has only gotten to the point to trigger the fan on low and even that was quiet compared to the Icom power supply for my IC-7600..

I also purchased in advance a custom made CAT control cable specifically for the ACOM 600S to Icom CI-V.. The interface has worked perfectly and I get automatic band switching as soon as I change the band on my Icom IC-7600.. The CAT Cable is a must.. Contact Array Solutions to have one made to work with your rig..

As far as performance on air.. Fantastic.. 13-16 watts drive from my 7600 easily makes 600 watts (FYI.. it will give more watts out on higher drive, but that... I don't recommend. If 600 is not enough get another amp that is rated for more..!!).. No need to drive this amp with anything more.. I run mine on 240V and it for all I can see it's just idling along without any noticeable decline.. The MFD type display screen is very informative and menu driven. The minute to minute status is always right there to see.. Protection circuits are always ready to respond should something go wrong..

For those with earlier versions, there's been a change on the front panel whereas the 600S's with the white lines above the MFD have been changed to slotted notches which look real nice and make the front of the amp more stylish...

This is one great amp built by one great company, and offered by one great supplier. Get yours from Array Solutions.. I'm glad I did.. See my QRZ page for a look at the new ACOM 600S front panel..

Steve NS3L
Nazareth, Pa.

W5IGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2015 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary performer in all respects  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had been looking for a good solid-state linear amplifier for some time, and finally decided on the ACOM 600S. I am thoroughly pleased with this amplifier. It is quite possibly the best in its class. It is easy to install, easy to use, and built with high quality components and craftsmanship. Installation requires only a key line and coax from the transceiver, coax to the antenna, and AC power. The power supply accepts a wide range of AC power input voltages automatically. The amplifier does not us an ALC, but power output is dependent on the amount of drive selected at the transceiver. I use 13 watts from my FT DX-3000 to produce 550 watts, but it will easily go to over 600 watts with a couple of watts more drive. It will automatically adjust to the transmitter’s frequency band; with just a click of the microphone or key, it moves to the desired band. The on-screen color GUI is very self-explanatory, furthering its ease of use. The quality of workmanship is second to none, and is evident throughout its design and manufacturing. It uses very robust components, including final FETs. The power supply is fully integrated into the main chassis, and the entire unit operates very quietly. The unit is lightweight, and surprisingly small in size. The amplifier also has a very robust self- protection system. We all make mistakes from time to time, and with this amplifier, mistakes don’t have to be catastrophic. Sampling circuits detect any situation that would be harmful to the amp (too much drive or high VSWR), and will quickly drop operation to standby, while giving a synopsis of the problem encountered on the display. But the bottom line is that this amplifier works extraordinarily well. I constantly get good signal reports from DX contacts, even though I only use simple dipole antennas. I couldn’t be happier!

K2QBV Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Already having the Acom 2000A,I decided for a second station amplifier to purchase the new 600S solid state Acom just released January 2014. Smaller then the big brother ACOM 2000A but puts out 600 watts plus in a super design well built package. Very simple to use, plug in three cables and view everything on the Acom five inch color screen. No blower noise, no transformer hum and pure power. In the first day, results were wonderful and reports from people concerning the new Acom 600S kept rolling into me. In addition, no ALC cable is required as the amplifier does not have an input that utilizes ALC. When I decided on a solid state amp, I looked at various companies and wanted a package with a great background in amplifier design and real american service and not an answering machine. My 600S was purchased from Array Solutions in Texas and any work I may need in the future is done in house at Array. Joel, K2QBV in New York

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Another Acom's finest  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
while my Acom 2000a has a fixed place in the shack over a longer period of time I was looking for a good lightweight and reliable solid state amplifier.

I tried two SPE 1KFA but both failed on me. One had a problem with sticking relays and the other one got problems with reflected power and temperature monitoring. So I turned my back to those Italian linears although size and weight were acceptable, reliability was not. Besides the SPA 1KFA gets really hot and does make quiet a bit of fan noise when the though gets going.

About two years ago Acom announced the 800S and some images and specs surfaced on the internet. But the 800S never saw the daylight and a good source told me that Acom wasn't pleased with the design or the noise it made to keep running cool. So it was back to the drawing board and it took almost another year and a half before new info spread on the internet about a new 600S version.

Well, it's there and I got the first in amateur radio. I've been testing it for some weeks now and besides the fact that Acom kept us waiting for a while, they came out with a really nice package.

First the built quality and finish is on par as with all their products. Very nice housing, familiar colors and just like the new 2000a the Acom 600s solid state has a color 5 inch display. It shows tonnes of information and is a real eye catcher. You want it in front of you to see whats happening all the time.

For now I have it interfaced with the Elecraft K3/10. The K3 puts out 12 watts on all bands except 6 meters where it does 8 watts out. This results on 600s amplifier output between 450 and 500 watts on most bands. On 50 MHz is does 375 watts.

If I drive it with a transceiver that can put out 20 watts, I get around 650 watts of output. It will even do 725 to 750 with 25 watts of drive (the drive power announced by Acom) but most of the time I drive the 600S with 18 watts to put it right on the 600 watt out mark. Gain is around 15,7 dB which is great.

The amplifier is a bit bigger than the KPA500 which I also was looking at. But the newer design using the latest Semicondictor Freescale finals (two) who have superior specs and far better cooling figures and can withstand far more abuse, give the Acom 600s a big advantage. Weight is great with only 12 kg. It does not come with a build in tuner but I never liked the idea of that. I believe in a good matched antenna, not in a heat building up box to match a bad antenna.

Keeping the paddle down with a continuous tone the power supply does not drop a 1/10. Whaaw. It stays spot on 50VDC. It is a switched power supply to reduce weight. The power supply has its own fan. In the middle section Acom puts its band filters and the PA modules are directly mounted on a very large heat sink that has a very large fan on the back to pull out heat of the cabinet.

As long as the amplifier is in STBY the Acom's fans does not run and the amplifier is quiet as a mouse. It stays that for quiet a while being at ambient room temperature. After a long period of time when internal components of the PSU heated up a bit, the fan will run very slow, barely noticeable.

If in OPR mode, the 50VDC is brought to the finals and therefor the PSU fan will come on around 30°C. While normal operation (DX chase, bit of CW, etc) the small fan will only run at lowest speed and the noise is almost not present even in front oy the operator. It's running like a modern desktop pc.

The big fan on the back has 4 speed levels. I've tried them all in the TECH setting where you can run tests on relays, fans, etc... and in highest speed the fan noise is still a lot better than those SPE amplifiers that have those tiny load blowers (yes 7 of them, imaging).

Even while competing in the All Asian CW dx contest I never got over 55°C and the amplifier was very quiet. Really to Acom standard and that's what I like in my shack. Awesome.

A lot of monitoring on the nice screen. Interfacing possible with most brand radios. RS232, TTL, BCD, Voltage. Remote control by RS232 with easy to understand commands to program in routines.

It does not come cheap, none of the Acom's does but you get what you pay for. Quality and reliability. Highly recommended.

OR5A Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 09:30 Send this review to a friend
In the same league as all other Acom's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At present time it seems I'm the first ham operator that has installed a Acom 600S solid state amplifier in his shack. I also have the Acom 2000a but I wanted a small, compact, light weight and very reliable amplifier as backup and for portable operations. I also wanted a bit more power on the 50 MHz band.

Let me start with the look and feel. Outstanding just like any other Acom product. Finish is top notch and color lcd is great with high resolution text and graphics. The casing is compact, weight around 12kgs so very handy for transport on airplanes. However no carrying bag is supplied. I would suggest Acom provides one, even as option but it would be great to store or transport the amplifier.

Large fan on the back and smaller fan on the left side (inside case) for the PSU. At startup no noise. Amp is quiet as a mouse. Fan only comes on after some operating time. And like any other Acom that's famous for it's quiet amps, the new 600S is no exception. The first fan speed is as quiet as an Acom 1000 and 2000a and also the second speed is almost the same. Only the highest speed (4th) is quiet noticeable but very, very acceptable and better than any competition.

Six push buttons on the front panel give access to all menus depending on state of the amp. Soft start power button but also remote start up by applying 12vdc is possible through cat control.

All brand of radios are supported. No less than 4 ways to control the amp (RS232, TTL, BCD, VOLTAGE). Additional key in/out through RCA jacks.

In my case (exciter is Icom IC-7410) when applying RTTY signal I only need 15 watts of drive to put out 625 watts of power. Gain averages at 14,5 to 15 dB. Power at all bands as published. Between 15 and 20 watts will deliver 600 to 650 watts from 160 to 6 meters with no exception. Absolutely great.

I just got the amp and will give it a great work out in the upcoming All Asian CW dx contest that last for 48 hours. But already now I know Acom did his homework. This little piece of jewelery seems to be build and designed at the same HQ level as all other Acoms.

I agree that watt per dollar this small solid state amplifier comes not cheap. But you get what you pay for. As I spend the first hours in the shack with the 600S, I already am excited and think the price setting is totally okay for me.

It's soon to have final verdicts but first impressions are overwhelming. I'm convinced a lot of dx expeditions will operate the Acom 600S in the future. Perhaps Acom is already designing a +KW version of this little champ.

First impression: The 600S has my recommendation.
I've made a small video impression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEnfN7TZojA