Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | C3I C6-50 Help

Reviews Summary for C3I C6-50
C3I C6-50 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $250
Description: 6M 6 element yagi
More info: http://www.c3iusa.com

You can write your own review of the C3I C6-50.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2000 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Great performance, very sturdy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to retire my 5 over 5 Rutland yagi’s to free up some tower space. I needed a new 6M antenna that was at least as sturdy as the Rutlands. C3I had bought out the old Rutland line and updated the design with some new K1JX designs. They have a 5, 7 and 13 element line of 6M yagi’s but the 5 was to short for me and the 7 was to long. I wanted a one wavelength long boom, that would fit nicely and would allow my Triex tower to fold over properly.

I contacted Owen and Sam at C3I and asked him if they plan on offering a 18’ long yagi. He said no but they would happily redesign their C7 (7 elements on 28’) to a C6 (6 elements on 19’) and keep all the C7’s heavy duty hardware. That would make one stout antenna, and since we have been hit with some bad ice storms over the last couple of years I was happy to hear that . A lot of other antennas on the market look questionable in light wind. The antenna would also have the F/B ratio I wanted.

The Boom is a 2” diameter x .0625” wall. Since I was somewhat local Sam suggested a continuous piece boom. The elements are 5/8” x .058” wall. All the mounting brackets are machined items and all hardware is 5/16” stainless steel. Gain is spec’d at 11.5 dBi and F/B is 28dB. Coax connector is a N.

Assembly was easy and so was tuning the T match. I ended up at 32.5" out on T match arms and that gives me a super low SWR from 50.0 to 50.750 Mhz before I even see a movement on the SWR meter, at that point I have 1W reflected on the Bird for 105W forward. I have 100mW reflected or less from 50.0 to 50.5Mhz. 1.5:1 comes at 50.930Mhz with 5W reflected.

This thing cuts an impressive silhouette in the sky with it's 2" boom. On the first band opening I caught since I put it up I worked PY0FF, HC2FG, 8R1/W7XU AND HC1BI with stations reporting 59 or better. PY0FF commented “Wow, 59 plus. Congratulations, very nice signal, very strong”.

Some additional pictures. 1 is the C6 element to boom mounting. 2 is the boom to mast mounting compared to the Rutland. And 3 is the C6 verse the RA5.