Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Elecraft K2 & K2/100 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft K2 & K2/100
Elecraft K2 & K2/100 Reviews: 301 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599. USD
Description: SSB/CW 160-10M HF Transceiver Kit
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft K2 & K2/100.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 10:52 Send this review to a friend
16years and still fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
My K2 is a 300 serial number and has been fully updated to current models. It still has one of the best receivers I have ever owned and for the portable qrp role I originally got it for, it still shines, both on CW and SSB. This is longest I have ever owned an HF radio in 45 plus years on the air. The K2 is a keeper.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Small package Big Bang for your money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I lucked out found a late model K2 on EBay. I was looking for a used K3 to use as a backup to my Yaesu FTdx5000mp.Even on the used market the K3's that I found were to expensive for my budget. After readingi the many reviews on the K2 on this WEB sight most very positive I decided to change my focus and look for a late model K2. The ham I bought my K2 from did a super job building my K2. Alignment is perfect audio reports are great and the receiver is almost if not just as good as my 5000! Amazing in such a small package. Almost disapears next to the 5000. This rig has been on the market since the turn of the new century. It does have Down conversion technology as does the 5000. I love mine it's a keeper. I saved about 50% of the new rig price through eBay.

M0AUW Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2015 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great kit with good instructions and excellent back up in the Forums. If you're thinking of buying one, do it. It's not a first build kit, you need to have some experience, I did that with Rock-Mites and then built the K2. The joy in knowing you have built a kit with such good receive capabilities, its just amazing that a small kit can have big rig performance! A keeper.

WA7NCL Rating: 3/5 Oct 18, 2015 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Its not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its nice to build if you want the kit experience.

Nice as a qrp rig. Low rx draw and nice package. To big to backpack though.

The warts:

Synthesizer is 80s tech. Makes for chunky thumpy tuning plus the needed calibration. Lack of frequency accuracy for digimodes. You miss dds performance.

Xtal filters also give 80s style performance. Though many like the xtal filter sound. Also because of this you have slight tone differences due to carrier offsets. Narrow filters cant be used on digi modes due to frequency offsets between filter settings.

The atu is good but will not match "anything". It will fail for wire lengths of even 1/4 wave lengths. Especially a half wave wire. It lacks an input shunt cap that would allow it. The L network tuning software has trouble with the high Q of the high impedance antenna.

There is a lot of tweaking involved in the "alignment". I spent as much time figuring out the tuning procedure as i did building the k2. Granted i was a little picky with the results.

Bottom line:

I like it for what it is, a nice little qrp rig. But I'm not getting rid of my TS870 or IC7000. I'm not gonna put it in my pack like my ATS-4.

My K2 is sn3030 built in 2002.

AI4BJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my K2 about 12 years ago and enjoyed it for several years before upgrading to a K3 and KX3. I recently repaired a K2 for a friend, and what struck me (again) was just how pleasant the K2 sounds to the ear! There's nothing wrong with the audio in the K3, but in comparison, the K2 just sounds mellower, smoother. Maybe this is due to the K2's all-analog design, I don't know, I just know that I love to listen to it!

G0HVS Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my K2 over 12 years ago - too long for this old brain to remember exactly. Loved building it. Used for years and then it went in a box after moving house. Dug it out again earlier this year, as I finally put up a long wire. Fired straight up - atu is a delight and tunes anything. I keep thinking of building the 100W PA, but find I'm quite happy with QRP. Managed to get a GM record in CQWW RTTY with it too.

If you are thinking of building one then stop thinking and do it NOW.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2014 06:09 Send this review to a friend
What a great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had (probably) four K2's since building my original s/n 906.
All work about the same. My latest one is 5702 and I just added the SSB board, what a pleasure to build and to use. Part of the experience of owning a K2 is the build experience. If you don't want to "build the entire radio', then look for one that you can build an accessory or two. Then let the performance speak for itself. What a great company as well. Support is excellent. Be part of the K2 experience and then have a ball on the air. (I have no affiliation with Elecraft.) Frank KG9H

K9OZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2014 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Still a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my K2 (SN 1960) about 14 years ago. The minute I started using it on CW I was hooked. It outclassed my 756 Pro and was just nicer to listen to and operate -- at 20 watts.
I added the KPA 100 when it came out, and for the next five years or so the K2 was my workhouse, my main rig, contest rig, my Field Day rig, etc.
But I was on the quest to find the best radio. Among other choices, I had moved up to a 756 Pro III and then an Orion. But in many ways the K2 was my favorite rig.
So when the K3 came out it wasn't a question of if I would get one, but when. The Orion got sold to finance the K3, and the day it came in it bacame the number 1 rig. The K2 has been relegated to Field Day, QRP, and occasitional use.
But the K3 developed a problem and had to go in for repair. I was going to use the Flex 3000 as my backup rig, but after a week of that, I pulled the K2/100 out of the closet and hooked it up.
I had to check twice to make sure it was hooked to the antenna -- it is that quiet. After 30 minutes I was thinking what a great little radio it is. I miss the DSP and the bandscope on the P3, but other than that, it is as satisfying to operate as the K3.
So my point? If you are looking for a great radio and can live without the digital bells and whistles, think about the K2. It's still a great -- but time consuming -- experience to build, but there are a lot of them out on the market used at very competitive prices. For the money, you couldn't beat it.
As for mine, I know it will never be on the used market. It's still my baby, and its not going back in the closet when the K3 gets back.

K4EQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Incredible!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finished building my K2 a few days ago. Accessories I added include the noise blanker, audio filter, and SSB module. I'm still working on the KPA100 board. This thing is an incredible little radio and I keep finding more things it will do as I read through the owner's manual. Being big into QRP, I'm not surprised with what I've been able to work on CW, but I AM pleasantly surprised at the great audio reports I've gotten on SSB. It's still soon after the build, but so far I'm a very happy camper. Thanks Elecraft.

QRPNEW Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 K2's. A low serial number and a current model with a very high serial number. In short a superb radio. Its long term reliability has been much better than the K3. I own a much older K3 that has had numerous updates done to it. The K3 by comparisons has had all sorts of minor bugs and glitches which required updates and putting the K3 off the air. The K2's just keep on playing. I actually now prefer my K2's over the K3 for its sheer simplicity and brilliant performance. The K2 has been so well aligned by me, that in a blind test you could not tell the difference between the K3 and K2's on RX. Its really that good. I also like the superb analog receiver and great overall sound. The PA is also more robust than the K3's PA and takes heavy contesting and has been fault free. The K3 PA has been a long saga for me because of numerous poor design decisions by Elecraft. The K3 PA for me has been very unreliable when operating in contests, dx'peditions and in field days. If you a real hams ham you can build a K2 almost blindfolded its that easy. On TX SSB I have added a TenTec RF clipper which gives this radio the holy ability to punch through the pileups.

In short a great simple radio with a superb receiver that can match any radio out there regardless of receiver dynamic range numbers. I have never found a situation where the receiver is challenged. The K2 is the quintessential CW radio and received CW note is just superb. For the price the radio is bargain even if you do have to sweat building it. If you cant build it you can get someone to build it for you for a price. Who really cares about re-sale value because this K2 is so good you should not even think about selling it. I would happily sell my K3 and keep my K2, enough said!