Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | AD5X QSK Relay Conversion Kit for Ameritron ALS-600 and ALS-500 Help

Reviews Summary for AD5X QSK Relay Conversion Kit for Ameritron ALS-600 and ALS-500
AD5X QSK Relay Conversion Kit for Ameritron ALS-600 and ALS-500 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $18.50
Description: This kit, along with two relays purchased elsewhere, convert
the stock T/R relay in Ameritron Amps that is prone to early
failure. This upgrade also enhances the amplifier's
performance in digital modes.
More info: http://www.ad5x.com/articles.htm

You can write your own review of the AD5X QSK Relay Conversion Kit for Ameritron ALS-600 and ALS-500 .

WK2X Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2016 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Why is this not standard??  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my amp a week ago, and have already used it to work to ATNO DXCC entities, bringing me up to 280. After installing this kit, not only does the amplifier work flawlessly in QSK mode, but it is also 100% quieter in all modes. These little Omron relays are blazing fast and silent. What an incredible difference!

Phil, AD5X was very fast to respond to all of my questions, even the silly ones. The PCB is assembled well, and the instructions are spot on.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone that has one of these amplifiers. I have to wonder why Ameritron doesn't just install this sort of thing standard and get rid of that noisy, slow power relay.

KA0CSL Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2015 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My ALS-500M was having issues with the receive due to relay issues. I installed this upgrade modification and the amp works flawless. Very good design with hermetically sealed relays and easy to follow instructions. You have to get the kit from AD5X for 38 bucks and then the Omron relays from mouser. This item is worth its weight in gold.

NA6DF Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 11:25 Send this review to a friend
awesome upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great upgrade at a great price. Easy install with easy to follow instructions and pix (on his website). I recently bought an older '600, and almost immediately had issues with the RX side of the original relay being flaky. (noisy/loud as well). Found the better solution! Much faster and quieter .

NG0Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Should be Standard Equipment on the ALS-600  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will never buy another Ameritron Amplifier based on the reviews of the ALS-600 and my experience with the Amp.

After only a few weeks, the storied T/R relay failure started happening in my amp.

Instead of the hassle of packing up the amp and sending it back under warranty, which would have been a temporary fix at best, I ordered the AD5X upgrade kit and had Gary Grivna at Electronix install it along with the two Mouser relays AD5X recommends to complete the upgrade.

Now the amp works like it should have in the first place - it's quieter and it keys up flawlessly.

Why Ameritron doesn't spend the extra $30 bucks in parts (and that is retail!) to make their amps worthy of the price is beyond me. American Made used to mean something. Not at Ameritron/MFJ apparently.

In the mean time I'm glad there is a quick and easy way to make this amplifier perform like it should.

I emailed AD5X and he responded quickly and answered all of my questions. The kit arrived quickly in the mail.

I would recommend anyone with an Ameritron Amp with the cheap relay in it perform this upgrade even if yours isn't acting up.