Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Kanga FOXX-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Kanga FOXX-3
Kanga FOXX-3 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $about $40
Description: A single band transceiver that fits into an Altoids tin.
More info: http://www.kanga.demon.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Kanga FOXX-3.

IZ0DCK Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 03:08 Send this review to a friend
a nice kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One the best kit I managed to build,this little transceiver it is so cleverly tought that building was easy even for me (regarding my ability, was really fool proof).
Also the help from Dennis G6YBC,is a first class one! Due to my fault I managed to destroy the wire of a toroid and not only I had from him the wire free of charge, but the complete wrapped toroid!! Not to speak of the several questions timely answered. And last but not least it works nicely.

VE7TTJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Clever  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first (and so far only) Altoids rig. Also a refresher course in taking it easy with the heat when soldering! The traces are a bit thin and require a delicate touch.

I eventually cooked the rig with high SWR (MY fault) and accidently shorting through lousy installation on my part, but that's not the rig's fault. If I could buy another one today, I would. CUTE RIG. Works, too!

2E0NCB Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2011 13:49 Send this review to a friend
It really does work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have built this little kit as a Xmas present from my kids, went together ok and the support from dennis at kanga is excellent.

First qso was with F6FTB on 80m, i was amazed!! yes it does work and it fits in a alotiods tin..

i am new to building so as a kit it was excellent for me and even more fun when you have a qso..

dave M0GGK

IS0VSU Rating: 3/5 Dec 20, 2002 13:35 Send this review to a friend
It works quite well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built, with the help of my friend Aldo IS0ANW, two FOXX3 TRX, one for me and the other for my son Matteo, IS0FQA, and tested them during last 45 Jamboree On The Air.Test failed for the presence of strong BC.
When I came back home, after realisation of a BC Filter (from Handbook of ARRL), the problem vas fixed.
It must be powered by a 12 Vdc battery, because of 50 Hz hum.
It's a little great radio.

MW5HOC Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2002 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Great fun and workable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 Foxx-3s. the first was a 40M version, the second was on 20M
Easy to build and tremendous fun. It really shows that ham radio is a great hobby.

Ok they do suffer from BC breakthrough... but 40M at night can be difficult with a 100 watt rig with filtering.

I have had over 100 contacts on my 40M Foxx-3 and every one of them has been fun!

See mine at http://mw5hoc.4t.com

If you are undecided about getting one...Stop dithering and send the cheque off!!!

You won't regret it.

KG4CHX Rating: 2/5 Jun 5, 2002 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Cute and fun to build But!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I build 2 40 and 30 meters. Both whent together FB and the instructions are the best. I have BC break through on both and have never been satisfied with tuning and pulling xtyl offset to satisfaction. If is a wonderfull kit to build and a great value but not very usable. For not much more you can buy a Small Wonders Lab SW series and have a HP qrp rig!
72 Tim KG4CHX

KB9WCT Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2002 23:52 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio was a fun build. Coupled with my G5RV I now have the best little 31 meter SW receiver in the world! Deutche Welle and Radio Moscow come in clearly (all together)as well as several other BC stations.

Seriously, I can hear CW out there somewhere. Next step is to start transmittlng. More later.

The RX offset seems to be very touchy. I only have about 20 degrees of useful rotation near full clockwise.

M0SIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 10:20 Send this review to a friend
BPF on FOXX-3 PCB? Yes and easily!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would like to recommend the improvement designed by OK1RCG for Band Pass for Your FOXX-3 ! Easy to make it and higher class of the performances. Only avoid to an Altoids boxing the tcvr cause bigger one. Easy to work with EU from the cities with 500mW after the improving. Good luck.

OK1RCG Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2002 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Fun and usable but...!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would like to count myself to FOXX-ed family too, but let me talk about the kit from Kanga and performance there. Above all the kit which I received was not completed right. Resistors in the side tone generator has different values from the schematic (I had to buy new one), the operating guide last page) was for 30m ver. but I ordered 20m band, capacitor in AF missed in the components part etc., but in general the transceiver worked for first time caused repaired these fails before! It is bit unfair to tell "...I never need any additional BPF, no any BC breakthrough at all..." as I read on webs, cause depends to location and antenna used of course. I am tested first time in big downtown (Praha) and it was totaly unusable cause fully overloaded and compressed by BC breakthrough. The RX regenerated for few sec. after TX switched... After really simple and easy improving the PCB I get BPF where -40dB added on 1MHz and immediatelly much higher performance. Lets to ask me for details on ok1rp@qsl.net. Longest FOXX-ed QSO : JA6PA/QRP-OK1RP/QRP (5W/K2-250mW/FOXX-3!), ZL1MH/QRP-OK1RP/QRP (5W/K2-250mW/FOXX-3) from Praha capital with vertical CP5 Diamond and 4 pcs elevated radials on the roof, all on 20m. Have a good fun !

G4GZG Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2001 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Easy to build but beware of simple ccts !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built a 30M FOXX-3 - it was easy to put together in an hour or so, and the instructions are good. It worked first time, but, and its a big but, the BC breakthrough after dark was horrendous, although better with an ATU on the end.This is a feature of the bipolar mixer/PA device and the filtering.

BUT, nowhere in the instructions does it mention this problem, and even G3RJV in his RADcom article didn't mention it, so lots of inexperienced hams may have gone and bought one and been disappointed.

I had lots of QSOs with mine at 0.5 W output and sold it for what I paid for it, so no great complaints !