Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Kanga FOXX-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Kanga FOXX-3
Kanga FOXX-3 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $about $40
Description: A single band transceiver that fits into an Altoids tin.
More info: http://www.kanga.demon.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Kanga FOXX-3.

KB1FKL Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2001 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Fun and easy kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my second kit and first self-built radio (the first kit was a direction finder). Construction was straightforward, and testing after each of the five stages required nothing more than a power supply, a screwdriver, a set of headphones and a key. For tuning adjustment I used my IC-706 as a monitor, and that took just a couple of minutes. I agree that the T/R relay is loud, although I have had no trouble adjusting the sidetone volume to a comfortable level. It sure does look nifty sitting in its Altoids box, but my thick fingers have a little trouble with the BNC connector in the corner. No problem...the board isn't screwed in, so I just lift it out to attach the antenna. If you're nervous about building a kit, go for one of these. If it works and you make a contact, the satisfaction will be enormous! If you can't make it work (unlikely), then you haven't invested much. These rigs are so cheap, I'd like to build a couple more!

GM0WEZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2001 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Easy to build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Must be the cheapest new HF rig on the market at 21 UK pounds. Very easy to build even for someone as clumsy and inexperienced as I am. Built in 5 stages, with checks after each stage. One watt out, draws 250mA @ 12volts. I have the 40m version.
No major problems with broadcast interference if an ATU is used. Picks up 50Hz mains hum if used with indoor antenna. Have so far only used in anger for an hour and no contacts yet (lousy antenna, lousy GM0WEZ morse....) but good signals received....

GM4HWS Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2001 03:44 Send this review to a friend
A fun challenge !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bearing in mind the design af this little transceiver I have to give it a high 4 simply for the fun factor of using it.
I felt the kit came very well presented with concise and clear instructions.
The construction process was in stages that could be tested as you went along.
As an absolute beginner to construction I am delighted with the finished result and am having great fun.Yes there is breaktrough from commercial broadcast stations ( I have the 40m band version) but the challenge is to overcome the problems and make a contact.
So far I have had contacts to Lincoln, Bristol, Durham and Freyburg.

M0CQG Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2001 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Last review unfair!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My last review of this little radio was somewhat unfair - the problems were mainly down to the fact that my test-bench had little bits of solder lying on it, which caused problems during testing...

I now have a fully working radio. I can run it of the PSU without too much hum (though *some* hum is still noticeable). The breakthrough from shortwave broadcast stations is still a problem, but kind of what you'd expect from such a simple design. Also, when the T-R relay switches to transmit there is a loud-ish click in the phones, which is a little uncomfortable to listen to. Lastly, the TX power seems to drop slightly throughout a prolonged session. Not drastically, but maybe by 100mw or so.

I'm rating the FOXX-3 as a '4' this time - not because is deserves a '4', but because my '2' rating last time was unfair. This evens out my scoring to an average of '3', which I think is more realistic.

M0CQG Rating: 2/5 Jan 28, 2001 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Cheap, but not much use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to build and very cute when mounted in the obligatory Altoids tin. However, it's susceptible to power supply hum, which means you have to use a battery instead. It also suffers from strong shortwave broadcast breakthrough (sounded like Deutschewelle to me, but maybe not). The sidetone is way too loud, and can't be adjusted any lower without cutting out altogether. Not much use, but I suppose it's one way to fill in a winter's evening... I have another unbuilt FOXX-3 which I'll build one day soon - maybe that one will work better, in which case I'll know I screwed somthing up with the first :-)

G3CWI Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2000 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Great fun!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I enjoyed building this little radio and have had a lot of fun using it already. The kit is easy to construct and while not giving "big box" performance, it certainly makes QSOs possible! Best DX so far is over 1000 km. I have a fuller review on my site at http://www.qsl.net/g3cwi