Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL WKUSB-SMT keyer Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL WKUSB-SMT keyer
K1EL WKUSB-SMT keyer Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$89 USD
Description: WKUSB-SMT is a surface mount version of WKUSB that has all board mounted parts pre-soldered and tested. Final kit assembly involves just adding a few through hole components
More info: http://k1el.tripod.com/wkusb_smt.html

You can write your own review of the K1EL WKUSB-SMT keyer.

VE3GLA Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2016 07:31 Send this review to a friend
works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sat down to assemble my kit this morning and was done in about an hour. It worked the first time. The assembly instructions were very clear with helpful photos. The test procedure was simple. Good value. I wish I had purchased it sooner.

KA9P Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2015 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Super easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just completed the Winkey USB SMT and integrated it into the K3 contest set up. And this time I'm putting the review under the correct Winkeyer product.

Performance is fantastic, kit went together quick and easy, and N1MM+ is very happy with it.

Extremely happy with this little box.

I noted one comment about difficulty soldering - it's not really, but like anything else with contemporary compements these days, it's best to approach carefully with a mag-lite and a fine-tipped iron.

K0INN Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2014 08:55 Send this review to a friend
A+ product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No "rough edges" at all on the physical package or functionality of this product. High quality components and case. Even the speed pot works very smoothly. I can't think of any improvement short of the ability to control the internal speaker volume, but that should be fine for most people.

Very good instructions for assembly. Took me about 1.5 hours but I moved very slowly and carefully.

If you have a variable temperature fine tip soldering iron the soldering job is much easier. There are some excellent youtube videos that show SMT soldering techniques. Basically, you apply a high quality flux to the contacts and the solder flows to the contacts and they do not bridge. This helped me a lot when I started doing this type of kit building.

W9KVA Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2014 19:48 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First time kit builder and chose the WKUSB-SMT as my kit. Ordered via snail mail and received in short order. I was a little intimidated with some of the solder functions but decided to give it a go. Overall the kit quality was excellent and I was able to complete the kit in short order. I did goof up the solder on the USB joints (..the instructions give fair warning on this..) but managed to pull everything together.

The kit tested and worked flawlessly right out of the gate. I've already had it running with great results. I love the WKTOOLS program that connects to the keyer via USB to program the memory banks and set other functions on the keyer.

The kit quality is first rate. I would have rated this kit a five, but the USB jack connectors were the most difficult part of the kit for me. I had to redo them twice due to my lack of experience with an iron. This would be a very quick build for an experienced ham, but I spaced my build out over a few days to go slow and make sure that I performed everything right.

No buyers remorse here..excellent kit and works well for contesting as well as regular everyday use.

K1RF Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding quality and features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an ideal keyer for field day and other contests requiring macro controlled keying from a logging program. The quality of the case and PC board are outstanding with excellent mechanical fit of components to the PC board and PC board to case.
While all features are too numerous to mention, some of the key ones include:
- Direct USB/virtual com port interfacing eliminating the need for a USB to serial dongle with recent computers
- When using macros, accurate characters are formed in the keyer itself and do not depend on computer-created dots and dashes which are poorly formed
- direct power from USB interface or 3 AAA cells
- Field upgradeable firmware
- You can specify min and max WPM for the speed pot
- solid state relay outputs handle positive or negative voltage with 2 key and 2 PTT outputs

I have previously built the K12 keyer and the newer K16 keyer and was very pleased with those, but this keyer is a great performing, easy to build, nicely packaged keyer with standalone or USB virtual com port control and optically isolated outputs