Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Elecraft KXPD3 \"Precision? Keyer Paddle\" Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KXPD3 \"Precision? Keyer Paddle\"
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Screw-on paddle accessory for the Elecraft KX3 QRP rig.
More info: http://Elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KXPD3 \"Precision? Keyer Paddle\".

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2017 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought the KXPD3 for my new KX3

First the disclaimer.....I'm not a hotshot CW op, maybe back in my novice days as wn6sdw. Now, I'm lucky to inch towards 20wpm these days, but only when going downhill and the wind is at my back. And no wine.

With that said, I like this little bugger. For the price, the KXPD3 fits perfect on the front of the KX3 and is very convenient to use.

Its definitely not your $300 ~ $500 key performance. the KXPD3 is definitely not the smoothest key I have used, but more than adequate for field operation, or just relaxing working a QSO or two.

I also like to use b mode for this paddle.

The cool thing is that Elecraft kept the external paddle port live so you can have to keys connected at the same. I use the Kent TP1 and the k1el Winkeyer for contesting.

Cheers all

73 ~ k6sdw

AA4BQ Rating: 2/5 Aug 2, 2014 10:08 Send this review to a friend
KXPD3 Needs re-design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have fallen all over myself praising Elecraft for the product designs. On many levels, Elecraft products are the most impressive I've seen in my 50+ year hamming experience. I recently purchased a K3, P3 and the KX3. (Retirement gift). All are just awesome rigs. I also, without searching for reviews, purchased the KXPD3 keyer paddle accessory ($129 ouch) that is designed to attach to the QRP rig for field use. (If it worked WELL, it MIGHT be worth it.) This paddle has a couple of major deficiencies that I've experienced. Because of the way the keying circuit (dit and dah contacts) is designed, it become intermittent after a time. The circuit relies strictly on the physical "touching" of pivot points to make the circuit. This is really nothing new in basic concept. Lots of hand keys and even paddle designs by major players in this arena use physical, pivot point contact. However, there is one major difference in those and these. Those used variable "compression" pivots. Take a look at a Speed-X or Vibroplex pivot point adjustment. Clearly, the contact is certain. (Of course, in the case of the insulating nature of the jewel pivots used by some, they had to add a wire, grounding strap. We're not talking about those here.) In the case of the design used on the Elecraft paddle, and by comparison with the compression/adjustable pivots, the Elecraft design uses not adjustable pivot pressure. The pivots are made holes drilled into surfaces and a pin inserted much like a door hinge-type method. As a result, contact is hit/miss. Some people have solved this by going in and soldering a small wire from certain points to eliminate this. That works, to a point. The problem then arises from the fact that, after a time, the contacts themselves (which are simply a set-screw touching a metallic standoff)develope inevitable, molecular surface oxidation. Now, that's MY theory because the contacts don't appear to be plated with anything (silver, certainly not gold). So, if I am wrong about the plating, then disregard my theory but short of that, surface oxidation is inevitable depending on where you live. Taking the key apart and adding the wiring is my next step. However, I really would like to see some plating of the standoffs and contact screws as well as a design that includes positive electrical contact. It has become very annoying to have the keyer get worse and worse over time -- especially when dropping my callsign letters in the middle of a great pileup effort. And, with the price tag of $129 (not far from the full-size HEX KEY Elecraft sells)I know this exceptional company can take care of us on this one. I'd like to see a "recall" to be perfectly honest. A refund would work as well but I have not asked for either one. They are so proficient out there that they don't need me to help but for the benefit of hams prior to ordering this little unit, I offer this info of my experience. I sure wish I'd known about it myself PRIOR to ordering it. I will follow up after I've searched for other reviews and asked them if some sort of warranty is in order. They are good about that I've heard. 73.