Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Yaesu FT-817 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817
Yaesu FT-817 Reviews: 291 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $769
Description: All band 160m thru 10m plus 6m, 2m and 70cm, all mode QRP rig with internal batteries. PL259 on rear, BNC on front.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft817.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2017 16:02 Send this review to a friend
My 2nd One and Enjoying it Even More  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I wrote a review back in 2005 on my first FT-817ND, I figure I'm allowed to do another review since I bought another FT-817ND! I gave my first FT-817ND to my son so he would have get-away radio package since he is our county ARES EC. However, after a few years of playing with several different big desktop radios since then, I once again was yearning for a good, throw-it-in-the-briefcase radio for travel fun. Needless to say the FT-817ND was first choice so I bought one again.

I feel like I've rediscovered the fun of low power portable. Currently however, I'm still just using my new one in the home shack in lieu of my desktop regulars (FT-991A and Icom 7600). I love it's simplicity and great audio. The FT-817ND is such a good basic radio that has all you really need to work most modes. It is unmatched when you want HF,VHF and UHF, and SSB, CW and digital all in one box.

Those who have faulted the FT-817 for shortcomings are simply missing the point. Pick 2 of these 3 feature sets: 1) Small and lightweight yet good TX and RX performance, 2) all band/all mode, and 3) low power consumption. You won't find another rig that does all 3 as well as the FT-897ND. More modern DSP and SDR-based radios don't really compete in all 3 feature sets/ This will be a classic rig for years to come. Maybe my grandson will like to inherit this one from granddad!

VK2JEM Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2017 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Bonus!  Time owned: more than 12 months
DC to daylight (almost) multimode, good performance.

OK its no icom 7810 but hey for the price!

Good RXr, handles big antennas well. Good HF performance, good v- and uhf.

Pity its only 5 w. but thats part of the the thrill and skill. Its a really fun radio.

Fits so much into TEEENY TINY package. Problem is that tiny package means the buttons and knobs are very fiddly and i have small fingers. IF you got big burley paws you might want to look elsewhere.
Also lots of menus and nested functions.. press button, turn knob press another button type thing.
But you can do so much inside those menus (dont lose the manual - you will need it!)

Im still amazed at how well it works and all it does in such a small box.

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 08:50 Send this review to a friend
k6ajy good rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
it is a good little rig for out on the Feld and Feld day and ultra compact use from 70cm and 160m I like it "73"s

VK2IK Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2017 04:02 Send this review to a friend
An amazing rig in 2002, still a favorite rig in 2017.  Time owned: months
Theres not much that probably hasnt been said about the FT-817.

What a great rig, it was groundbreaking at the time, I got mine in early 2002, its still going in 2017. I have replaced the early version of finals in 2007, and the RF board in 2016 due to a fault when tuning up an antenna on 2m. Even with this issues, it is still a 5 in my view, 15 years of service, dragged everywhere, including Antarctica, been in backpacks, vehicles, suitcases, test benches, hookup to home built PA's, antenna testing, and has been fit for purpose every time.

Yes the controls are a bit dated by today standards, but it is still an amazing rig. I hope they keep making them for many more years to come. I still cant get over the size and function of this rig. it has to be one of my all time favorite rigs. simple as that.

K9MOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2017 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the original FT-817 when they first came out.Its sits on my operating desk and I use it for everything-- HF qrp, Shortwave , 2 and 440 fm simplex, FM broadcast, AM broadcast. Its a fun, useful and reliable radio.It does everything good( 4.5) but it does EVERYTHING. I feel it was a very good investment.

OE3HPU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2017 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Still the QRPers pride  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 of them . One is used for SOTA activities and the other one for QRP operation in the shack. The possibilty to make QSOs also on 2m and 70cm is great. The rig is sensitive and sounds very well with the internal speaker. Strong signal behaviour is just OK for me. I purchased the 500Hz filter which is a must for CW. I had just one issue with the power connector on the rear,it did not withstand outdoor operation and thousands of cable insertions. I bought a 3,3Ah Li Ion battery and can work one day with the internal battery plus the Li Ion. The rig is of good mechanical quality,reliable and small. Dx with five watts ?? -No problem with just an inverted vee in CW. Rating: 4,6 !

KE8BSR Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2016 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
(Now NQ8RP) Got this rig @ Dayton this year. What an incredible little rig. Got the CW 500Hz filter a few months ago and it really takes it to the next level.

The radio is super sensitive (even more so with a decent antenna), and I've made contacts as far as Norway from my campsite in the Daniel Boone National Forest (Kentucky). To maximize the rig's performance, I use resonant antennas (simple dipoles) - generally working 20 meters.

With a 12V/12AH battery, I can work the weekend with battery life to spare.

There's a ton of YouTube videos on tips regarding getting the best performance out of this rig. It has certainly helped me.

73... Roger / NQ8RP

AF7RV Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Versatile! Awesome Range!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a used FT-817 (not ND) from an estate. It had blown final amps so I sent it back to Yaesu for rework. Great rig! About the size and weight of a hardback book and really belts out the signal on a well engineered antenna. From NW Washington I've hit Colorado and Texas 59's on 20 and 17M for both sender and receiver. I bought it with known issues but the repair was not expensive. For $100 purchase price and $150 repair I now have a $600 rig that fits in a backpack and can keep up with the big boys!

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 18:42 Send this review to a friend
The last rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This old rig has seen hundreds of thousands of miles as a mobile and back pack rig. One of my favorite things about this rig is the speaker is loud enough that you can hear it, even over the road noise. The next thing is that the screen has survived extreme heat, without developing lines. This isn't a review about my other rigs, which are fine and serve a purpose, but this one serves every purpose that I've been able to throw at it. The perfect size; when other rigs are still trying to be smaller, this one already is. I call it the last rig, because it's been the only rig that I've not sold. Some rigs I've sold, then bought new again, but this one will never be sold.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2016 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Small and Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio for portable/mobile use. I'm impressed by its build and receive quality. I've had great results paired with band specific hamsticks. As for power, a 12v 9ah rechargeable battery has worked as planned. This radio has already become my favorite.