Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Yaesu FT-817 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817
Yaesu FT-817 Reviews: 288 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $769
Description: All band 160m thru 10m plus 6m, 2m and 70cm, all mode QRP rig with internal batteries. PL259 on rear, BNC on front.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft817.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817.

VK2IK Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2017 04:02 Send this review to a friend
An amazing rig in 2002, still a favorite rig in 2017.  Time owned: months
Theres not much that probably hasnt been said about the FT-817.

What a great rig, it was groundbreaking at the time, I got mine in early 2002, its still going in 2017. I have replaced the early version of finals in 2007, and the RF board in 2016 due to a fault when tuning up an antenna on 2m. Even with this issues, it is still a 5 in my view, 15 years of service, dragged everywhere, including Antarctica, been in backpacks, vehicles, suitcases, test benches, hookup to home built PA's, antenna testing, and has been fit for purpose every time.

Yes the controls are a bit dated by today standards, but it is still an amazing rig. I hope they keep making them for many more years to come. I still cant get over the size and function of this rig. it has to be one of my all time favorite rigs. simple as that.

K9MOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2017 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the original FT-817 when they first came out.Its sits on my operating desk and I use it for everything-- HF qrp, Shortwave , 2 and 440 fm simplex, FM broadcast, AM broadcast. Its a fun, useful and reliable radio.It does everything good( 4.5) but it does EVERYTHING. I feel it was a very good investment.

OE3HPU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2017 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Still the QRPers pride  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 of them . One is used for SOTA activities and the other one for QRP operation in the shack. The possibilty to make QSOs also on 2m and 70cm is great. The rig is sensitive and sounds very well with the internal speaker. Strong signal behaviour is just OK for me. I purchased the 500Hz filter which is a must for CW. I had just one issue with the power connector on the rear,it did not withstand outdoor operation and thousands of cable insertions. I bought a 3,3Ah Li Ion battery and can work one day with the internal battery plus the Li Ion. The rig is of good mechanical quality,reliable and small. Dx with five watts ?? -No problem with just an inverted vee in CW. Rating: 4,6 !

KE8BSR Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2016 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
(Now NQ8RP) Got this rig @ Dayton this year. What an incredible little rig. Got the CW 500Hz filter a few months ago and it really takes it to the next level.

The radio is super sensitive (even more so with a decent antenna), and I've made contacts as far as Norway from my campsite in the Daniel Boone National Forest (Kentucky). To maximize the rig's performance, I use resonant antennas (simple dipoles) - generally working 20 meters.

With a 12V/12AH battery, I can work the weekend with battery life to spare.

There's a ton of YouTube videos on tips regarding getting the best performance out of this rig. It has certainly helped me.

73... Roger / NQ8RP

AF7RV Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Versatile! Awesome Range!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a used FT-817 (not ND) from an estate. It had blown final amps so I sent it back to Yaesu for rework. Great rig! About the size and weight of a hardback book and really belts out the signal on a well engineered antenna. From NW Washington I've hit Colorado and Texas 59's on 20 and 17M for both sender and receiver. I bought it with known issues but the repair was not expensive. For $100 purchase price and $150 repair I now have a $600 rig that fits in a backpack and can keep up with the big boys!

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 18:42 Send this review to a friend
The last rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This old rig has seen hundreds of thousands of miles as a mobile and back pack rig. One of my favorite things about this rig is the speaker is loud enough that you can hear it, even over the road noise. The next thing is that the screen has survived extreme heat, without developing lines. This isn't a review about my other rigs, which are fine and serve a purpose, but this one serves every purpose that I've been able to throw at it. The perfect size; when other rigs are still trying to be smaller, this one already is. I call it the last rig, because it's been the only rig that I've not sold. Some rigs I've sold, then bought new again, but this one will never be sold.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2016 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Small and Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio for portable/mobile use. I'm impressed by its build and receive quality. I've had great results paired with band specific hamsticks. As for power, a 12v 9ah rechargeable battery has worked as planned. This radio has already become my favorite.

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2015 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine used, knew the prior owners so I knew its history. No question its a durable radio.

First the nits.
Its high current drain on receive.
Menus out the ears.
why two connectors?

Hits:
Small and very portable.
Works far better than I'd expect on 432.
decent receiver,
flexible all mode operation.

It took me a long time to decide to buy one.
The menus and small display were not my cup of tea. However looking for a 432 radio and a price
left few choices and many were quite old or large.
I finally bit the bullet and was somewhat relieved that the menus were not a major annoyance and I manage to operate the radio well with a little time nose to manual and a bit of internet.

Its not perfect. The high battery drain was annoying in receive. The only solutions were either go to high capacity NiMh or aftermarket Lithium type. I put Nimh internal and its much better. For extended runs an external rechargeable Lipo pack gives the run time I need without the weight.

I use it when not grid hunting on uhf for HF mobile and it does a fine job. On a full size antenna like a dipole at height I'm heard and sometimes not believed about QRP.

Over all a good experience and one of the few solutions of its type that covers a lot of modes and bands.

Not a real 5 but I can't give 4.5 so, we round up. The bigger statement is I'd suggest it to anyone that is looking at low power radios that can do more than CW. There are few other choice out there that can over the range of bands.

DL1AIW Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 02:27 Send this review to a friend
great for portable use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As always I have to mention at the beginning that it is useless to compare this rig with others or more recent ones several times the price!

It is my no.1 portable rig since I bought one via eBay. It does everything you expect with qrp-power at remote places or SOTA summits, which was the reason for me to buy it. First pro is the overall-coverage of all amateur radio bands from 160 m to 70 cm. Every mode I know can be used, but I prefer CW in the field and occasionally also SSB. For CW the use of a 500 Hz or even 300 Hz filter is highly recommended, otherwise your brain has to do a lot of work in "filtering" adjacent signals (it can be done, fits your brain but is not really convenient...). I also use it at home from time to time as a qrp-station in JT65 mode on shortwave.

As always the case with small rigs the operation might be a little bit difficult due to limited place on the front side. But nevertheless after a short time of "training" this isn't a problem anymore. Same has to be said with the menu-driven items. Reading the manual maybe more than one time isn't the last thing to be done here.

If you are abled to use big antennas in the field the use of the IPO-button is a must while the ATT ins't used so often. One can also use the RF-regulator for best results.

Mechanically the rig is extreme stable compared to others. The price for this is its higher weight compared to some other rigs, but I personally like to pay this price. I've used other qrp-rigs in the field and experienced the value of a stable construction very quick...

Internal battery is ok, but if higher capacity (extended activities with 5W) is wanted an external battery would be of use. 12V isn't a must here, the rig works with 9,6 V and above. So I constructed a small device changing 12 V of the external battery to 10 V used by the FT 817. This reduces the power consumption of the rig quite a bit and extends the battery life in the field.

After all I would buy it again!

M3RTX Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great fun radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm on my second one and what a great fun radio!
I have had several different radios and find this to be lots of fun.
Keeping this with dtmf mic and my TS50, TS850 . the rest must go. 73