Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | LNR Precision EF-QUAD Help

Reviews Summary for LNR Precision EF-QUAD
LNR Precision EF-QUAD Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$125
Description: End Fed resonant antenna for 40,20,15,10m 65ft long.

You can write your own review of the LNR Precision EF-QUAD.

WM5F Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2018 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Wow! Very broad bandwidth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the reviews here for the LNR Quad and was very intrigued with the 200-Watt power it could handle. Another vendorís end fed did not seem to be able to handle 100W CW.

Many of the reviews here convinced me to try it. It was the weekend before the ARRL SSB DX contest. I did not think LNR could get it to me in time. So, I was very surprised to see the package arrive by Thursday.

Saturday morning, I thought why not try it out on the contest. I strung the match box end on an 18-foot MFJ tripod and the other on the top of a 31-foot Jackite pole, braced against a tree with some bungee cords.

I had not tuned the antenna. And just used my KX3/KXPA100 tuner. During the contest I was surprised to hear Italy and France with strong signals on 20 meters. What the heck, why not try. I was completely surprised to hear my call back from both stations. Wow! I contacted several other DX stations on 20, and later that evening worked DX into Europe on 40. Given my QTH in the Pacific Northwest it was a pleasant surprise.

Iíve since tuned the antenna and it appears like the antenna has very broad bandwidth. Iím able to work CW as well as the SSB bands easily on all four bands. This is what surprises me. The antenna is extremely flat across a large portion of the bands. Look at the LNR instruction manual and they show the SWR curves and these are similar to what I see as well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the results. Nice job PAR and LNR!!!
K2MK Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2018 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Well made and easy to tune  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Iíve been experimenting with end fed dipoles in my HOA restricted home. I secretly deploy it on contest weekends with the balun box hung in a tree (cord and pulley system) and the end insulator secured to a plastic tent peg in the ground. Iíve only been able to elevate the balun end to 19 feet. To my surprise, however, I am able to work lots of stations with 100 watts. DX can be challenging, however, Iíve worked a fair amount in a short period of time primarily on CW and RTTY.

My tip for tuning is to use a portable analyzer and slowly cut away wire monitoring 40 meter SWR. Stop cutting while resonance is still below 7.0 MHz. At that point carefully review the SWR on 20, 15, and 10 meters as well as 40 meters. Then very carefully trim a little at a time until the SWR on all 4 bands is acceptable to you. I havenít found it necessary to do any trimming of the 3 stubs.

Construction is very good, however, I would have liked to see a support eye or a hole in the plastic piece on the end of the box opposite the coax connector.

For someone like me that winds up the antenna every week I suggest purchasing one of the numerous extension cord winders available online. Trying to wind up the antenna free-hand is tricky thanks to the 3 tuning stubs.
W6UXB Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2017 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for over a year now and have to say it is absolutely brilliant, I have it installed as a sloper one end is about 12 feet high the other about 36 feet up a tree, my only ground is a 4 foot copper rod outside my garage/shack, I have had great success with it SWR is below 1.5:1 on all bands no tuner needed but I am using it with an MFJ 901 tuner just to give my radio a perfect match. What has made a difference though is I just added an MFJ 931 artificial ground to tune the reactance out of the ground, that has made a big difference to the performance of the antenna, I think I am now going to run a 66 foot counterpoise under the antenna, very happy camper with this antenna you will not be dissapoited if you are in a very small lot as I am.
KI8M Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 16:03 Send this review to a friend
It is my go to antenna for portable operations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased EF-Quad over a year ago and it is part of my portable "kit" when I go out of town or to one of the many parks in S.E. Michigan. I had little problem getting the antenna resonant on the phone portion of 10 thru 40 meters.

I can't say anything negative about the antenna. It is everything I want for portable operation. Glad I bought it.
KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2017 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Used for portable station  Time owned: more than 12 months
During the summer we go on vacation to the north woods in northeast Wisconsin. I like to take my K3 with me and over the years I have experimented with a number of antennas. When I read about this antenna it sounded just perfect for my situation and it is. There are many tall trees around so I can easily get both ends up over 40 feet. Being an end-fed antenna, feed line location is very convenient. Out of the box, the lowest SWR point is approximately 1/3 up from the bottom of each band and well under 2:1 at the upper ends so I did not feel any need to adjust it. Performsnce is exactly as expected for a half wave antenna. It works equally well talking to friends back home in Chicago on 40, working DX on 20, 15 and enjoying some band openings on 10. It is a great antenna for portable operation including Field Day.
N6STA Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2015 10:22 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had it for two days now. Trimmed a foot off the end and left all the 'pigtails' alone. SWR using YouKits FG-01: 80 - 6.3; 40 - 1.2; 30 - 7.1; 20 - 1.4; 17 - 3.2; 15 - 1.4; 12 - 3.2; 10 - 1.7

This is with a low installation (peak at 16 feet) and a right angle about 16 feet from the far end.

I am happy.
KB7MGA Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2015 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It had been a long time since I was able to work 10 thru 40 meters on one antenna. The EF-Quad enabled me to easily work these bands and also helped renew my interest in the hobby as another review stated.

I live in a restrictive HOA. I draped the antenna over a tree in an inverted U fashion. The antenna easily hides in the tree even in the winter time and works great radiating in all directions with this configuration. If there is a pileup anywhere, I have great confidence that I will work the station in a few calls.

I cannot say enough good things about the antenna.
K4RCH Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2015 07:08 Send this review to a friend
4 bands easily  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Quad is a great antenna to get on 40,20,15,10 quickly. Build quality is excellent. My only quibble with the Quad is the antenna connector location. I'd rather have it 90* from where it is now to facilitate an easier mounting solution for permanent installations.
N5NX Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2015 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent wire antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in an HOA, I already had an LNR Precision 40/20 antenna since I could put it up and take it down quickly. I've used it with great success.

I purchased the EF-QUAD so that I could expand into 15 and 10 meters. Since I had an existing setup, I took down the 40/20 and put up the EF-QUAD in about 10 minutes.

I checked all four bands with my analyzer, and as expected all bands had the best SWR at the low end of the band. I decided it wasn't worth trimming to tweak at this point in time since I mainly work the digital modes at the low end of the bands.

I got on 15 meters for the very first time and made contacts all over Europe during the EA PSK 63 contest.

Very happy with this antenna!
N2PH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 07:10 Send this review to a friend
This antenna just works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed this antenna as a sloper with the matchbox up about 30 feet, and the rest of the antenna sloping down to about 12 feet. This simple antenna works great, the SWR is spot on for 40, 20, 15 and a little high but, usable for 10 meters. I am making contacts and getting good signal reports with stations and countries that I rarely heard before I started using this antenna. Simple to set up and minimal tuning-I used a MFJ antenna tuner. I told my wife this antenna has renewed my interest in ham radio!